Finally got a SSD but....

Luke

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the performance? Which is odd because having a SSD compared to a HDD is supposed to be day and night. It's just that this upgrade has been one of the more drastic ones. I used to have a 320GB Hitachi deskstar then upgraded to WB Blue 1TB and now i have a Samsung EVO 120GB + WD Blue 1TB.

When i first upgraded to just the WD Blue and my initial thoughts were great. Boot times were quicker although my i had no problem with boot times before, Games loaded a bit faster, I have way more than enough space and knowing that i'm using a new hard drive that in theory not die as soon as my old one would have is a nice thought. For $55 i couldn't be happier.

When got the Samsung EVO my thoughts were similar. It boots faster, games load faster but... That's about it? I wasn't left with the same satisfaction of a good purchase like i had with the WD Blue 1TB. It has very small capacity and cost $113 after tax and shipping (twice as much as the WD Blue).

I would just like to hear some thoughts or opinions about this. But please no "I couldn't live without my SSD" or "i have a SSD and my computer is 1000X faster!" type of reply's =)

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

For me the change from 2min loading in BF4 to 20sec and pretty much instant boot was worth it. Are you sure you use a SATA III cable and port on your board? If not, your SSD is running at 1/2 of it's actual speed, yet like 2x faster than a HDD.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

i'm not sure what else you were expecting? its just a bit faster thats it really however paired with windows 8 my ssd upgrade made a huge difference compared to my slow boot times using win 7 and a terribly old hdd

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the performance? Which is odd because having a SSD compared to a HDD is supposed to be day and night. It's just that this upgrade has been one of the more drastic ones. I used to have a 320GB Hitachi deskstar then upgraded to WB Blue 1TB and now i have a Samsung EVO 120GB + WD Blue 1TB.

When i first upgraded to just the WD Blue and my initial thoughts were great. Boot times were quicker although my i had no problem with boot times before, Games loaded a bit faster, I have way more than enough space and knowing that i'm using a new hard drive that in theory not die as soon as my old one would have is a nice thought. For $55 i couldn't be happier.

When got the Samsung EVO my thoughts were similar. It boots, faster, games load faster but... That's about it? I wasn't left with the same satisfaction of a good purchase like i had with the WD Blue 1TB. It has very small capacity and cost $113 after tax and shipping (twice as much as the WD Blue).

I would just like to hear some thoughts or opinions about this. But please no "I couldn't live without my SSD" or "i have a SSD and my computer is 1000X faster!" type reply's =)

I can't remember the last time I had a HDD as a boot drive, so I really can't tell you my experience. Though theoretically the speed should be nearly 4x faster than a HDD.

Just a question though, are your games installed on your HDD or your SSD? 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

For me the change from 2min loading in BF4 to 20sec was worth it. Are you sure you use a SATA III cable and port on your board? If not, your SSD is running at 1/2 of it's actual speed, yet like 2x faster than a HDD.

Yes. I wrote a lot more but cut some of it out to keep it short. I originally wrote at the end "Btw the SSD is configured properly and according to benchmarks the thing is really fast". 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Yes. I wrote a lot more but cut some of it out to keep it short. I originally wrote at the end "Btw the SSD is configured properly and according to benchmarks the thing is really fast". 

Just want to check, is the drive set to AHCI in the BIOS?

I can't remember the last time I had a HDD as a boot drive, so I really can't tell you my experience. Though theoretically the speed should be nearly 4x faster than a HDD.

Just a question though, are your games installed on your HDD or your SSD? 

Yea i have my main games installed on my SSD but not very many at the moment.

i'm not sure what else you were expecting? its just a bit faster thats it really however paired with windows 8 my ssd upgrade made a huge difference compared to my slow boot times using win 7 and a terribly old hdd

I think that's the problem. I was expecting something more for some reason. Maybe it's the insane amount of times people recommend it and praise it like it's THE best upgrade you can do to your PC?

All of my upgrades have been have definitely been worth it whether it's a new graphics card that had a huge FPS increase in games or just a CPU cooler and fan that cut my temps and noise in half and allowed me to OC more. With the SSD i installed it and thought "Why did i buy this? It's expensive and not necessary"

You said you've got faster boots and game load times, what else were you expecting?

Edit: I saw you answered someone else asking the same question.

Yeah, maybe it was far too hyped for you and you're disappointed when the bar as set way too high. I do find loading times are drastically better, and happy for it.

You said you've got faster boots and game load times, what else were you expecting?

Edit: I saw you answered someone else asking the same question.

Yeah, maybe it was far too hyped for you and you're disappointed when the bar as set way too high. I do find loading times are drastically better, and happy for it.

I think he was expecting more bang for the buck. Yeah, sure ssds are great and all but he doesn't feel it was worth its hefty price.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I got an 840 PRO and I'm glad I did because I abuse it heavily from multiple VMs reading and writing to it constantly plus 10GB+ paging file with NTFS compression.

You sound like someone who can really benefit from the speed of a SSD =P. I personally am not overly concerned about shaving a bit of time of the load time of a game (That's about all it does for me). Maybe if i didn't have better things to spend money on i wouldn't have made this post.

Thanks for everyone's reply's. I am in no way saying SSD' are a waste of money. If you are a PC enthusiast and have a awesome PC with money to spend it only makes sense to get a SSD. 

Just want to check, is the drive set to AHCI in the BIOS?

Oh missed your reply. It is set to AHCI yes. Though i'm still not sure what setting i should use for Samsung's OS optimization.

My opinions on the SSD might change as i keep it for longer (It was the last piece of the puzzle for my PC to be finished) and it could also have something to do with the type of games i've been playing. I still have a lot of hours left to be put into Skyrim and i have about 120 mods so it would sure be nice to have quicker load times in thar game specifically.

Yea i have my main games installed on my SSD but not very many at the moment.

There's little point to putting games on the ssd.

You did put Windows and all your programs on the ssd right?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There's little point to putting games on the ssd.

You did put Windows and all your programs on the ssd right?

Yep sure did. I was only planning to put my main games on the SSD (4 or 5 games). That's ok right? I figured if i will be playing them a lot they might as well load faster although the only game where i feel needs a bit faster load times is skyrim but that's because of all the mods.

Yep sure did. I was only planning to put my main games on the SSD (4 or 5 games). That's ok right? I figured if i will be playing them a lot they might as well load faster although the only game where i feel needs a bit faster load times is skyrim but that's because of all the mods.

That's fine. 

I'm guessing you're not doing much other than gaming?

For me, the ssd helps when browsing and for content creation since those applications can take quite a while to start up without a ssd. It makes quite a large difference to me and I'd say a ssd is one of those things you will get used to and get more done while having a better time without really noticing it. Going away from one once you're used to it and using a slow hdd will make the difference quite apparent. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker

Couldn't have said it better myself. When I go from my laptop to use one of my dads computers, it's painfully slow. I'll never get a mechanical drive as a boot drive again.

I'm not used to seeing the loading icon by the mouse.

You'll see once you've used it for a while. I find myself wondering if a program has crashed because it's not opening near instantly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's fine. 

I'm guessing you're not doing much other than gaming?

For me, the ssd helps when browsing and for content creation since those applications can take quite a while to start up without a ssd. It makes quite a large difference to me and I'd say a ssd is one of those things you will get used to and get more done while having a better time without really noticing it. Going away from one once you're used to it and using a slow hdd will make the difference quite apparent. 

Well too be honest i love gaming but i have only a select few games i like to play but i don't get much time to play them. One thing i have noticed is that for google chrome i use the "Continue where i left off" setting but sometimes i would open up chrome with too many tabs open and it would take forever to load all the pages or just freeze for a bit. It doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I'm not sure if that's because of the new OS installation or the SSD but it sure is nice.

The price tag is properly the reason ;P SSD's are not cheap, although if you value a seamless experience with as little time spent waiting, the more you are going to appreciate an SSD... I guess it is somewhat personal about how people feel when they first upgrade.

But I can assure you, once you've gotten used to the SSD speed and it seems like a norm, any other drive will feel like it's ancient (which it proberly is anyways).

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

I have the coolest looking SSD ever jajajajaja

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

You sound like someone whos used to having latest hardware and not really haven't spend time with relatively slow stuff. Pickup used old laptop and come back to complain about SSDs performance after trying to get it use ready under 15mins (in WinXP, Mint loads in 2mins). If you haven't had issues with load times then of course having SSD won't feel as much better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv