Why Can't They Fix This?

My Galaxy S7 had terrible battery life since Oreo update,

I had like 3-5% battery usage per hour with screen OFF and phone idle

I found a fix I read somewhere that I should try to turn off LTE ( switch to "auto 2G/3G" in settings, even though I was on WiFi and mobile data weren't in use) 

so I tried and.. v'oila I have exceptionally good battery life now :) around 1% (max. 2%) of battery drain per hour, now my phone can last whole day easy ^^

and reception of the signal is better (I have all 4 lines of signal - when LTE was ON it was max 3 around my living area)

So it seems like when phone really tries to get this good LTE signal it drains battery very fast, but when it doesn't have to - then everything is OK

Maybe this will also help one of you :) maybe @LinusTech could also use this fix to.. fix his S9 battery life

iv had issues with phones getting hot and shitty battery also ...my bandaid for it was to turn the brightness all the way down and only turn it up when absolutely nessary... and that increaced my battery life by like 400% if i rememebr right... so now i get abour 2 days out of a full charge some times more

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Well, before the power virus that was Lollipop, the Note 4 regularly lasted me a day and a half without turning off data, without using any power management features, and not disabling as many things as I do now.

I got similar on the 3. Up to 2 days light use, 1.5 on general use. Then the Google constant voice listening (assistant lol) and datta collection (it was there before, but it certainly INCREASED) *and* it went from OLED power saving black backgrounds to white. :(

PS, so with Linus, I do expect as others said for it to be VPN, LTE/carrier signal problems, carrier/Samsung/Google Data mining (may just be Linus has an interesting user profile so gets maxed out data collection, not because he is a CEO or anything ;) ) or because he taps his hip!

so unfair to samsung

He has not factory reset or installed any custom roms to check anything before making this claim

I like how they ask us to come help, but no data in the forum >.<

Apps and settings that were loaded to the phones?

Ok here is a post not about expierience but facts.

First of this is not how to diagnose such issues.

Best method would be rooting the phone and use better battery stats to detect wakelocks.

However rooting trips either knox or you msut use a rooting method limiting the battery to 80% which in both cases might not be desireable.

Now before we go do deep into the diagnosing rabbithole you must understand waht can cause this and maybe solve it without even dignose it.

The most common issue are apps. either because they missbehave by intent or because of an upgrade.

you see after every android upgrade datastructures within android can change which in turn can lead to reall issues within apps but youll never notice it ever.

as a first test you could turn off background sync and maybe even data connections. at this point also wifi and see how it does behave.

also turn off location services and see if theres some change.

if you can identify a group of apps (like all account syncing apps) then you need to manually delete data and cache of those apps and reinstall them.

autobackup should recover your data or it is cloud stored anyway (hopefully)

this would recreate datastructures and should solve an issue there.

however another aproach would be a complete nuke and format (format all partitions and reinstall system from scratch with lates official via odin.

reststoring backups should be done via cloudbackups NOT via pc backups if even nessesary. andoird built in backup since android 7.1 works decent with most apps

if this doesnt help and youre shure you have no malicious app on board it can still be an hardware issue.

turn off all additional settings that are in use when the phone should sleep like screenon when pickup, movement detenction, facedetection stuff like that.

stick to fingerprint or pattern see if something changes

most likely its not the way someone uses their phone differently, but simply upgrades.

so regular format (not wipe) of data partitions works wonders

btw same counts for iphones, even apple no recommends to restore backups via icloud and not itunes because of data structure issues

Gsam battery monitor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en
Accubattery - allows you to have calculation of possible capacity remaining on your battery.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery&hl=en

In the past I had problem with one Samsung S4. Happened that during 4 hours it drained from 90% to 22% in my pocket. Problem seemed to be an application that wanted constant connection to internet at the time. I just deleted it. It can be because of turned on Bixby or something of similar caliber.

I am seriously disappointed by the lack of info provided by Linus.

He asks for help diagnosing the issue, but barely provides any info at all. It's like one of the terrible posts on the troubleshooting forum that just says "I get bad performance. Help" without even mentioning what programs they use, and what's up with the "no root" restriction?

I expect better from one of the biggest technology-related channels on youtube.

Anyway, the issue is clearly that something is constantly running on the CPU. Phones doesn't just get hot on their own.

You need to monitor the CPU usage and preferably processes.

There are several ways to view this but the easiest is probably the developer options under running processes. It shows CPU time in there for each individual process.

So I actually created an account to respond to this after watching the video on YouTube because I have had a very similar issue with Samsung phones. 

I have had multiple Galaxy and Galaxy active phones and noticed that the phone would be extremely hot after sitting "idling" for a while and the battery would never last through the day. I didn't really have much on the phone because I use my cell for YouTube, texting, calling, and music. After being frustrated with my S7 Active, I tried to get help from Samsung but they were unable to help me. I ended up getting a Pixel 2 and now my battery lasts me all day and most of the next instead of dying halfway through the first day and I don't use the pixel any different from the way I used my old S7 Active.

I would love to know what is causing this but I don't think I am going back to Samsung, I really love my Pixel now.  

I use the galaxy s8+ for 7 months and 1.5-2 days isn't an issue. It coukd be the way off using youre phone that affects the battery or idk...

My wife and I have a similar experience with the S6 that her's has noticeably less battery life but I cannot figure out the cause. I just have the following observations:

- I habitually close apps, and will force stop Facebook/Messenger. She uses Facebook regularly.

- Her phone is constantly bouncing off the capacity limit, where mine hovers around 2GB free. We just found that this also causes bluetooth connectivity issues with my car.

- Her antenna switches more frequently due to signal strength issues at her place of work.

14 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

so unfair to samsung

He has not factory reset or installed any custom roms to check anything before making this claim

You can't install a custom rom on a Snapdragon Samsung phone (which are the US/Canadian models) as the bootloader has been locked and there isn't a work around yet.

On 08/09/2018 at 8:41 PM, TetraSky said:

Did you try doing a hard reset on Linus' phone and see if it still behaved the same way?
Maybe he just has a hidden cryptominer on his phone or something...

yeah he should reset his phone to see if it makes any difference.

So, OP. I think that it might be worth it to put both of the phones under nearly identical use scenarios, but test an additional thing. I would say that thermals should definitely be tested, since something is using the phone, even on idle, which is what causes it to build up so much heat. I would use each identically, and see at what point the new one starts to have a battery degradation that seems to fall in line with Linus', then try to isolate what causes the heat, and basically try as hard as possible to replicate the result of Linus' phone while documenting pretty much everything. I think that it would be quite a bit easier if it was done in this way, since the only way we know to reproduce it is basically to have Linus use it.

I'm not sure if this is a long shot or not, but it's basically the same as having a food diary and writing down what you ate, and if you had a reaction or not that day. Except with a phone. And in Linus' hands(the ones that became a meme through dropping things). I think that you can apply the same thing here, and document the thermals and battery life, and just change things bit by bit while using the "usage diary" in the same manner as a food diary. Maybe it'll work like a charm, or maybe I just wrote a wall of text for absolutely no reason, but I hope that this helps, since I don't have a phone to test this on. Or a way to replicate Linus' usage. Only he can do that. Let me know if you guys try this, and if it helped at all.

Hi LTT et all,

I just made this account to comment about this bug. As you can see from my username, I will provide my anecdotal evidence.

Does anybody with an Exynos Soc Samsung phone can comment?

This power bug is very hard to replicate. I hit this bug around 3-7 times per lifetime of the phone.
I had both Quadcom S3/S5 and hit this bug across both custom and stock ROM.

Characteristics of this bug.

Once triggered, the phone will never power down until the bug drains all the battery.

The phone runs hot regardless of applications running.

The current workaround is to power cycle the phone. ( I usually turn it off until the phone cools to preserve the battery )

I actually think this bug lies deep within the Quadcom SoC

ARM doesn't have a common power management standard. I believe this bug might be Quadcom specific.

https://lwn.net/Articles/574439/

https://lwn.net/Articles/584123/

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32369.html

Tried a factory reset? The battery in my Moto Z sucks arse. Same with the Moto G4, my previous phone. On the Z, Accubattery says real world capacity is only 1730mAH vs 3000 new.  I just uninstalled and reinstalled the app to see if new data will show that too or if the app sucks.  But battery life is not impressive on the Z too. It's only 2 years old, spent it's 1st year barely using it at all. 

External battery packs are always needed these days. Luckily they r cheap and very convienent with phone-like form factor so they can both fit in 1 pocket.

I've also noticed a significant power drain if I'm traveling with the phone.  Even if I'm doing nothing more with it than it would be doing sitting next to me on my desk. In such cases where I was not using it to play music or navigate while traveling... like while riding with others... it has reduced battery charge as compared to when it was sitting on my desk for the same number of hours.

I think that is due to it increasing its transmit power trying to maintain connection as I go from areas with good signal to poor to none and back again. 

s7

I got this issue once on a Huawei P9 +. This actually happened after I installed a android update, and all of a sudden, from 3 days of usage I got down to 6 hours, not even lasting the day. I did a hard reset and power consumption went back to normal. Can you do a reset and see if it fixes the issue? Because if it does then the issue can occur in patching android and may not be manufacturer dependent.

I think ive got a similar issue with my Razer Phone. it was working perfectly, up until 2-3 months ago where it will occasionally just drain very fast. it heats up alot too.maybe after using the devices from Dbrand for a while, you may run into similar issues.

Solved the problem by using Nova launcher. TouchWiz starts draining battery randomly. In fact, TouchWiz has some gestures which become crazy especially when you put Samsung phones in your pocket. Disabling them helps ad well. I just use Nova Launcher and not faced the issue since I install Nova Launcher and disabled TouchWiz. 

I found out recently that Bixby's voice wake up takes a lot of my battery while my s9+ screen is turned off so, I first turned off the voice wake up but that didn't do anything so then I disabled it in the settings and now I would say I get around about 1% drop in battery every 2 hours when my s9+ screen is off also getting rid of Facebook helped a bit I found out its always working in the background but its barely any change. this also helped my dad out a lot with his battery so I am guessing this is a problem with Bixby and also Siri or google assistant doesn't do this so I believe its just a problem with Bixby that's gone unnoticed at Samsungs end. I have an S9+ Exynos 9810 Europe Chipset and Canada has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset so this may be a very different process, but I am certain that its Bixby because my mums s7 my s6 had no problems but my dads S8 did have a problem and it's when you started having a problem and its also when Bixby became a thing so I hope this helps

Ive been having this exact same issue with my Note 8 during medium to heavy use it gets fair good battery but if i take it off charge in the morning and dont touch it at all for the whole day it will be completely flat in 8hrs if theres bad service coverage it will be flat in 2-3hrs.im thinking about just upgrading to the note9 instead of dealing with the replacement through the service provider.

On 9/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

I have had this issue with many phones before, try completely shutting off all location services as they devour your battery!