Which PSU should I get?

EVGA GQ 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold vs Corsair CX550M 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze

Here's my parts list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pf2jvn

I had my eyes on the EVGA superNOVA 550w and 650w, but had to switch things around (can't make up my mind...) and now i'm going have to buy one of those two PSUs since i'll being buying from Microcenter that's near me. (in U.S. by the way).

I do plan one overclocking in the future, but for right now I don't know whether 550w is not enough or 650w is too much. I'll admit I am a little confused on how to know if both have enough amps.

In case anyone asks, I have already bought most of the parts on that list except the motherboard and CPU cooler. Ill change the cooler later in the future since I won't being overclocking anytime soon and i'll only buy it at Microcenter this time.

Thank you for your time!

Get the 650 watt EVGA one, it is of a higher grade, and thereby more power efficient, and it has more overhead over the 550 watt one for upgrades.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

8 minutes ago, spartaco118 said:

I had my eyes on the EVGA superNOVA 550w and 650w, but had to switch things around (can't make up my mind...) and now i'm going have to buy one of those two PSUs since i'll being buying from Microcenter that's near me. (in U.S. by the way).

I do plan one overclocking in the future, but for right now I don't know whether 550w is not enough or 650w is too much. I'll admit I am a little confused on how to know if both have enough amps.

In case anyone asks, I have already bought most of the parts on that list except the motherboard and CPU cooler. Ill change the cooler later in the future since I won't being overclocking anytime soon and i'll only buy it at Microcenter this time.

Thank you for your time!

It all depends on your price, but maybe the Corsair just because they are a bit better brand, plus 650w is unnecessary but futureproof. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

the GQ would be a better bet, but i have no idea why you're getting such an expensive board and a lowly 212 evo. spend $40 on a scythe ninja 4 on amazon instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

9 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Get the 650 watt EVGA one, it is of a higher grade, and thereby more power efficient, and it has more overhead over the 550 watt one for upgrades.

noted

6 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

It all depends on your price, but maybe the Corsair just because they are a bit better brand, plus 650w is unnecessary but futureproof. 

I am wanting my build to last as long as possible so if it's futureproof, i'll go with the 650w.

7 minutes ago, spartaco118 said:

I am wanting my build to last as long as possible so if it's futureproof, i'll go with the 650w.

Yea, that's a good choice, plus evga and corsair are quite similar in performance and everything, and evga has really good customer service too. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the GQ would be a better bet, but i have no idea why you're getting such an expensive board and a lowly 212 evo. spend $40 on a scythe ninja 4 on amazon instead.

Trust me, it wasn't my choice. I did want a scythe cooler, but IRL made me think waiting for shipping isn't necessary so i'm buying at the store plus i'm going to replace it later since I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon.

I will get a better cpu, unless you think the temps would be too hot for gaming with the 212 evo?

Temps might be OK depending on ambient, but that chassis with limited airflow won't help it either. Don't expect proper OC'ing headroom.

2 minutes ago, spartaco118 said:

Trust me, it wasn't my choice. I did want a scythe cooler, but IRL made me think waiting for shipping isn't necessary so i'm buying at the store plus i'm going to replace it later since I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon.

I will get a better cpu, unless you think the temps would be too hot for gaming with the 212 evo?

if you aren't overclocking in the first place, don't get an 8600k and Z370 board. get a locked i7 8700, B360 board and an M9i/aidos/212(whichever is cheaper).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

14 hours ago, spartaco118 said:

Thank you for your time!

The EVGA GQ is based on an old design that is based on an older design.

The basis of that is almost 10 years old, modified around 5 years ago at the request of be quiet and sold since 2014.

And with modern components I wouldn't really trust the FSP Active Clamp topology.

The G2 therefore is a lot better.

As for Wattage: A Single CPU/GPU System only needs somewhere around 200-350W depending on the Card.

So a 400-450W is enough without OC, 550W "to be on the safe side"....

14 hours ago, Motifator said:

The EVGA is superior to the Corsair here. Buy it.

No, its not.

Its not worth considering, just because it's EVGA doesn't make it a good PSU. And EVGA has a lot of crap in their lineup while other Brands like be quiet only have somewhat OKish and good stuff in their lineup.

For example be quiet doesn't have no Group regulated shit, EVGA has a couple.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The EVGA GQ is based on an old design that is based on an older design.

The basis of that is almost 10 years old, modified around 5 years ago at the request of be quiet and sold since 2014.

And with modern components I wouldn't really trust the FSP Active Clamp topology.

The G2 therefore is a lot better.

As for Wattage: A Single CPU/GPU System only needs somewhere around 200-350W depending on the Card.

So a 400-450W is enough without OC, 550W "to be on the safe side"....

No, its not.

Its not worth considering, just because it's EVGA doesn't make it a good PSU. And EVGA has a lot of crap in their lineup while other Brands like be quiet only have somewhat OKish and good stuff in their lineup.

The EVGA GQ isn't that bad, is it? I mean, maybe you're confusing it with the BQ or maybe I just am really that out of the loop since I've barely checked into the internet in the last few months, but is the FSP design in that really that old? What be Quiet unit was it in?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

22 hours ago, spartaco118 said:

Thank you for your time!

Either of those is fine for a 1070 Ti, but I would take a much more serious look at a 450W version of the Bitfenix Whisper or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. The Corsair TXM is also a good option as well, with 550W being the minimum wattage available for that unit.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, its not.

Yes, it is. You must be confusing the GQ with the BQ. The CXM is built no better and in fact comes with grabbag caps on the secondary. The GQ is slightly higher power, more efficient and looks better built / performing as well.

You're also praising Be Quiet, a brand that had meh - almost shit PSUs for what they were in past. Good job.

Most of us know EVGA has both crap and good PSUs.

9 hours ago, Motifator said:

Yes, it is. You must be confusing the GQ with the BQ.

I mentioned the be quiet Straight Power E10, did I not?
You should look up the E10. ANd you'll see that its the same internally as the GQ.

The CXM is built no better and in fact comes with grabbag caps on the secondary.

That's your oppionion, not based in facts as Caps aren't the only thing that can or will fail, as @jonnyGURU mentioned a couple of dozend times, the MOSFETs are not least important. Or what do you say about exploding +5VSB Chips? 

And nobody said that the CXM is better, especially I did not say that. I only said that the GQ isn't great and that the G2 is the far better PSU.

So stop putting words in peoples mouths that they didn't say!

The GQ is slightly higher power, more efficient and looks better built / performing as well.

its still ACRF based, the G2 is LLC-Resonant mode as is the Corsair CX, non M.

And GQ doesn't look that good:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-gq-series-750w-psu,4396-10.html

That 

You're also praising Be Quiet, a brand that had meh - almost shit PSUs for what they were in past. Good job.

What's in the Past is in the Past, we live in now.

And now be quiet doesn't have a single shit ATX PSU in their Lineup, EVGA does.

And be quiet does - as the name sugest, rather quietish PSU. EVGA does not.

Most of us know EVGA has both crap and good PSUs.

Yeah and most of what they have is not better than the competion, on the contrary!

ALmost all PSU that EVGA has are worse than the competition!!

There isn't a single one that is standing out, that does anything better than the competition does.

be quiet does have such units, Corsair does, Bitfenix does, hell even Cougar does. EVGA does not.

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The EVGA GQ isn't that bad, is it? I mean, maybe you're confusing it with the BQ or maybe I just am really that out of the loop since I've barely checked into the internet in the last few months,

Naa, the BQ isn't Active Clamp, the GQ is. See above there is a Test from Aris that wasn't that great...

And that's why I said the G2 is the far better unit, even if it is a bit more expensive.

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

but is the FSP design in that really that old? What be Quiet unit was it in?

Yes, its that old. It was first seen in the be quiet Straight Power E10, that was released in 2014.

And to make it worse, its a modified Aurum Design wich the E9 is based on (and I never really liked as the E8 was awesome at the time) that makes it independently reguated. 

And right now its used in the Pure Power 10.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I mentioned the be quiet Straight Power E10, did I not?
You should look up the E10. ANd you'll see that its the same internally as the GQ.

That's your oppionion, not based in facts as Caps aren't the only thing that can or will fail, as @jonnyGURU mentioned a couple of dozend times, the MOSFETs are not least important. Or what do you say about exploding +5VSB Chips? 

And nobody said that the CXM is better, especially I did not say that. I only said that the GQ isn't great and that the G2 is the far better PSU.

So stop putting words in peoples mouths that they didn't say!

its still ACRF based, the G2 is LLC-Resonant mode as is the Corsair CX, non M.

And GQ doesn't look that good:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-gq-series-750w-psu,4396-10.html

That 

What's in the Past is in the Past, we live in now.

And now be quiet doesn't have a single shit ATX PSU in their Lineup, EVGA does.

And be quiet does - as the name sugest, rather quietish PSU. EVGA does not.

Yeah and most of what they have is not better than the competion, on the contrary!

ALmost all PSU that EVGA has are worse than the competition!!

There isn't a single one that is standing out, that does anything better than the competition does.

be quiet does have such units, Corsair does, Bitfenix does, hell even Cougar does. EVGA does not.

I don't care what you mentioned, you clearly did not even read the OP.. I'll get on that later.

It may be my opinion, but your nonsense is way overblown. Here, please tell me how you're expecting the FETs or the +5VSB chip to effing explode on THAT PSU? With a system that will barely consume half of its capacity, most likely? You are telling that to take the topic elsewhere and the CXM DOES in fact come with caps that are halfway to being shitbag...

Who the hell said anything about the G2 except YOU? The OP said he will be buying a PSU locally and the TWO are his ONLY choices. In that case, the GQ is more efficient, a bit higher power and is a give or take between the CXM so it's splitting hairs. So stop trying to talk like you know what you're on about and actually read the damn OP.

The GQ is fine, JGuru and couple other reviews show this. That one is most likely a worse sample.. I wouldn't praise Be Quiet, their high end units are nothing REALLY worth speaking about... then you go out and talk about Cougar. Are you really this ill-informed? HEC has NOTHING that stands out. EVGA releases far better PSUs as long as you buy into the SuperNova units.

10 minutes ago, Motifator said:

That one is most likely a worse sample.. I wouldn't praise Be Quiet, their high end units are nothing REALLY worth speaking about... then you go out and talk about Cougar. Are you really this ill-informed? HEC has NOTHING that stands out. EVGA releases far better PSUs as long as you buy into the SuperNova units.

I ask you too, are you really this ill-informed?

Be Quiet makes some junk, not much, but also makes one of the best high end PSUs out (Dark Power Pro 11) and a great mid ranger, the Pure Power 10. Even where they are ridiculously expensive (such as USA) I'd consider them.

Cougar makes some pretty good value options, some I'd consider better than the GQ at hand here.

EVGA makes plenty of SuperNova shit. Some is good. Some is bad.

Examples being: NEX B1, NEX B2, NEX G1, G1.

Brands don't matter here. Nor does the manufacturer. The model is the part that counts.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

52 minutes ago, Motifator said:

It may be my opinion, but your nonsense is way overblown. Here, please tell me how you're expecting the FETs or the +5VSB chip to effing explode on THAT PSU? With a system that will barely consume half of its capacity, most likely? You are telling that to take the topic elsewhere and the CXM DOES in fact come with caps that are halfway to being shitbag...

@jonnyGURU mentioned that FETs are one of the most causes for failures/Problems in some PSU Series, especially the cheaper ones (because of cost restrictions for example).
As for the +5VSB Chip: That one is one of the first things to go and happens all over the place, with any TNY Chip.

How much the System consumes doesn't matter if we are talking about Manufacturing defects or other stuff, though the Load might help, it isn't necessary to cause a defect at all.

As for the Caps:
You are wrong, that is why I brought up other issues because its more likely that THEY fail than the Caps do. 

The quality of modern decent manufacturers, is OK and should easily outlast the Warranty.

Just because they ain't from a Japanese company doesn't make them bad. 

Especially these days, when it looks like the +5VSB Chip is exploding rather than the caps goin bad...

Who the hell said anything about the G2 except YOU?

For example:

On 8.9.2018 at 6:40 AM, spartaco118 said:

I had my eyes on the EVGA superNOVA 550w and 650w, but had to switch things around (can't make up my mind...)

More often than not, that means the G2 or G3...

The OP said he will be buying a PSU locally and the TWO are his ONLY choices.

No, he said that he wants to buy there.

And I don't see a reason why I should ever recommend a PSU I don't like in any way. 

Especially when there are so many good PSU, even in the US.

And I looked at the site and recommended a PSU that they actually have in stock. 

But there are also other alternatives like this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/473991/650-watts-atx-80-plus-gold-fully-modular-power-supply-with-rgb-lighting

But right now, the 550W G3 is only 10 bucks more!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474839/supernova-550-g3-550-watt-80-plus-gold-modular-atx-power-supply

So I don't see any reason to go for the GQ.

In that case, the GQ is more efficient, a bit higher power and is a give or take between the CXM so it's splitting hairs. So stop trying to talk like you know what you're on about and actually read the damn OP.

Nobody except for you only looked at those two, I went to the store and loked what they have.

And the G3 is the better choice. That is out of the question.

And I did read it, that is why I went to the store and looked what they have there. Don't you agree that the G3 is worth the 10 bucks?

The GQ is fine, JGuru and couple other reviews show this. That one is most likely a worse sample..

No, its not, its shit, as there are better options for the money.

+100W is irrelevant when you don't need it.

You want the best QUALITY, not Quantity! you can get for the Money. And that's the G3, not the GQ.

I wouldn't praise Be Quiet, their high end units are nothing REALLY worth speaking about... then you go out and talk about Cougar. Are you really this ill-informed? HEC has NOTHING that stands out. EVGA releases far better PSUs as long as you buy into the SuperNova units.

In many cases the ones that accuse others of being something are the ones that are.

As said, the Label is completely irrelevant.

HEC has the GX-F that is decent and rather cheap, fan RPM is on the lower end as well at full load, at lower loads it could be better. Uses Corsair Type 4. Nothing wrong with that, its fine. The GX-S was OK before the Bitfenix Formula, that killed it.

The lower end HEC DC-DC (used in CM Master Watt and be quiet System Power 9) is also OK, well at least for the System Power 9 Price, the Master Watt is a bit too expensive. 

As for the GX-F, I have one here:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/netzteile-und-gehaeuse/506025-userreview-cougar-gx-f-550w-stefan-payne.html

And I quite like it...

At least more than the rather loud Leadex II:
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/super-flower-leadex-ii-gold-650-750w-von-stefan-payne-1158590.html

As for Manufacturers:
They do what the contractee wants in many cases. If you want awesome and are willing to pay for it, even companys like Solytech will make you something awesome. 
Just because one Company like HEC is mostly used in lowest cost crap like EVGA White and B-Series doesn't mean that they can't do good stuff at all.

And EVGA doesn't seem to have a good lineup either...

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

I think YOU are lost because of upping a Stefan Payne post.

Oh and, did I mention you have a "tier list" in your sig? Oh yeah, we have to resort to that for easy answers, right?

Nah, not upping it, but backing him up.

I'd also like to point out I wrote that multiple years ago and have been keeping it up-to-date since. I put in multiple days writing it up originally. Saves me a lot of time later.

evga, or look at the seasonic options, m12ii 620w is great fully modular one

3 minutes ago, Nexmo said:

evga, or look at the seasonic options

You can't recommend by brand, as all brands have crappy units. 

3 minutes ago, Nexmo said:

620w is great fully modular one

It's not great. Unless you think an unnecessarily expensive, loud, decade old, group regulated PSU that lacks protections is great. 

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You can't recommend by brand, as all brands have crappy units. 

It's not great. Unless you think an unnecessarily expensive, loud, decade old, group regulated PSU that lacks protections is great. 

when saying evga, i was meaning the evga one he had mentioned, not suggesting it as a brand in general

what about a 39$  pfc  fully modular PSU is unnecessarily expensive and loud, its probably the quietest PSU in my house sans the sf600 in my htpc

1 minute ago, Nexmo said:

what about a 39$  pfc  fully modular PSU is unnecessarily expensive and loud, its probably the quietest PSU in my house sans the sf600 in my htpc

If a $40 PSU competes (and loses) against $15-$20 PSUs, it's unnecessarily expensive. 

When saying loud, it's when it's compared to other PSUs. 

There's a thread on the PSU. 

:)

1 hour ago, Nexmo said:

when saying evga, i was meaning the evga one he had mentioned, not suggesting it as a brand in general

Read what I was writing. For only 10 bucks more he can have a PSU that its by far better. And you seem to have recommended all EVGA PSU. 

There are better units from many manufacturers for about the same price for every EVGA unit there is...

1 hour ago, Nexmo said:

Then you have the PSU running a potato...

I don't even have a fan in the PSU of the Machine I'm writing this on.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/4/

Yeah, the 1900rpm at ~400W load look really quiet, that's a totally silent PSU. Absolutely - N O T

1 hour ago, Nexmo said:

evga, or look at the seasonic options, m12ii 620w is great fully modular one

Why the heck do you recomend such bad things?! Neither one is helpful...

And the Seasonic M12II 620W is pretty shite for the Price. You can get independently regulated units for the same price that also switch off when overloaded and don't drop on 12V to under 9V like the S12II-Bronze does because it does not have any UVP on +12V! 

Look up the HY-510N...

Here you have information:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

2000rpm at medium load is just bullshit. The Cougar (HEC!!) VTX smokes the S12II-Bronze variant in that review in every way imaginable. 

The XFX XT500 (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic one.