Stress Test?

Is it necessary to stress test your cpu and gpu after building a new pc?

if yes, how long should you test each respectively?

Reconciling Physics and Poetry

Don't stress your computer - she will be stressed and run away. :)

But seriously - no, you don't need or just a little until you don't overclock.

But install MSI Afterburner to control your temperatures (both GPU and CPU) - set to display temperatures in tray and check if any of them are not too big.

If you want only simple tool for CPU - use CoreTemp.

If you're not overclocking then I wouldn't say it was necessary, just don't hear about stability issues @stock so I think it would be a waste of time

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Probably best to do it if you're buying used or questionable parts just to verify everything performs as expected. I personally don't feel the need to most of the time. I do benchmark my stuff just for sh*ts and giggles or to compare it when getting an upgrade. If you overclock it's beneficial to test the stability of said overclock but at stock speeds everything should be perfectly stable or they wouldn't sell it right?

In terms of how long it's really up to you and how much time you have. One hour is nice and quick if you just want to get a quick baseline or need to figure something out. Four to six hours is probably best just to test the longevity if you still need to use your computer that day. 12 to 24 hours is a bit much but after that you can be comfortable that whatever you have works properly (assuming nothing goes wrong).

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

I would stress it even at stock to ensure your cooling is working fine, especialy for new builders.

Somthing like OCCT's PSu test which runs both the CPU and GPu to 100% will test ur cooling to ensure your have not fudged your cooler mounting, or have to restricted airflow. Half hour should be plenty.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

If you're not overclocking and don't have any issues, don't bother. Though I would check the thermals and performance in the applications that will be used on a regular basis. 

:)