Should I get a Brand new RX 580 with warranty,better drivers and support or a used GTX 1070?

OppositeCube

My budget for a graphics card is around $260, and I'm confused in what to get, If I go with RX 580 8gb (new) I would have warranty , AMD drivers are known to be the best and very long lasting, and the biggest thing Freesync no tearing and I'm also gonna get a new monitor with my pc , I'm missing out in Nvidia shadow play, but I probably won't care about it because I'm already going with a beefy ryzen 5 1600 for streaming.

If I go with a used GTX 1070 8gb , I would probably not have warranty even if I will Im sure it won't last longer, but, I could get advantage of overclocking, overclocking is horrible in Rx 580 because it will consume around freaking 170 watts more.. for just 7% to 8% of performance.. but in gtx 1070 if it's overclocked you will get like 20 FPS for in most games and itould take maximum 40 watts more, 285 watts max in gtx 1070 (oc) total, than 380 watts in Rx 580 (oc) But I'm missing out in Freesync, g sync is freaking overpriced would never buy those,

So in conclusion guys, according to you guys what is worth it? A GPU with average performance with better and longer drivers support, and see no tearing and have warranty?

Or a supper High end overclocked GPU could run any games to 144fps (in 1080p ultra or high quality) but might ruin the experience terribly with tearings and no warranty support.

Again what is worth it? And according to you guys which one you think will last longer?

oops sorry I added this topic in "General Discussion" than "Graphics Card" :(

Used GTX 1070.

Also overclocking the GTX 1070 will give you 5-10 FPS and not 20

9 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

Used GTX 1070.

Also overclocking the GTX 1070 will give you 5-10 FPS and not 20

well by benchmarks I have seen 20 FPS for oc, but again you sure that I should miss out Freesysnc and heavily better drivers and warranty?

47 minutes ago, OppositeCube said:

no warranty support.

Which 1070 are you considering? If it's an EVGA, it actually still has it's warranty because EVGA binds their warranty's to the card and not the First buyer (with proof of purchase), so if you're the third owner and something happens to the card EVGA can still help :) 

https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Which 1070 are you considering? If it's an EVGA, it actually still has it's warranty because EVGA binds their warranty's to the card and not the First buyer (with proof of purchase), so if you're the third owner and something happens to the card EVGA can still help :) 

https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

a gigabyte and msi and a founders edition

, not evga

2 minutes ago, OppositeCube said:

a gigabyte and msi and a founders edition

, not evga

Well asside from warranty, an RX580 is good enough for 1080p gaming, Just not 144fps in all games maxed out. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

you mention freesync... If you just don't consider for a second a gsync monitor, then go for the RX580 and a nice freesync monitor. 

@OppositeCube @Od1sseas

The 1070 is a much stronger card than the 580. So all things being equal that would be my choice. Just make sure you have the opportunity to test the card if buying second hand.

As to the statement on overclocking. I have seen 15-20 fps in games/benchmarks from just an overclock. Now this is very dependent on the gpu, game, etc. If for instance you buy a stock clock and boost 1070 that means it will boost to only 1683mhz and the memory will be at 8008mhz. Now when you start buying factory OC cards that changes things, but you average 1070 can normally overclock to around 2000-2050 mhz in most cases (some a bit higher). Then there is the fact you can normally get the memory on these to 10ghz even on a bad overclocking cards 9ghz should be possible.

So just going from 1683 to 2050 is a 21% performance increase. Then you can get another 2-5% off the memory. So if you purchased a stock clocked card you could see 20-26% increases in FPS.

5 hours ago, asus killer said:

you mention freesync... If you just don't consider for a second a gsync monitor, then go for the RX580 and a nice freesync monitor. 

but again should I leave like 40% to 50%  extra performance behind for Freesysnc? and no tearing?

again you sure that's good what would you choose that?

is Freesysnc really that good and worth it?

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

@OppositeCube @Od1sseas

The 1070 is a much stronger card than the 580. So all things being equal that would be my choice. Just make sure you have the opportunity to test the card if buying second hand.

As to the statement on overclocking. I have seen 15-20 fps in games/benchmarks from just an overclock. Now this is very dependent on the gpu, game, etc. If for instance you buy a stock clock and boost 1070 that means it will boost to only 1683mhz and the memory will be at 8008mhz. Now when you start buying factory OC cards that changes things, but you average 1070 can normally overclock to around 2000-2050 mhz in most cases (some a bit higher). Then there is the fact you can normally get the memory on these to 10ghz even on a bad overclocking cards 9ghz should be possible.

So just going from 1683 to 2050 is a 21% performance increase. Then you can get another 2-5% off the memory. So if you purchased a stock clocked card you could see 20-26% increases in FPS.

oh ok nice, but what would you choose Rx 580 or gtx 1070?

45 minutes ago, OppositeCube said:

but again should I leave like 40% to 50%  extra performance behind for Freesysnc? and no tearing?

again you sure that's good what would you choose that?

is Freesysnc really that good and worth it?

i would either get gsync or freesync, neither is not an option for me. it's up to you

16 hours ago, asus killer said:

i would either get gsync or freesync, neither is not an option for me. it's up to you

yes I know it's my choice, but just think that you are in this situation, what would you prefer, very smooth non tearing screen  with support and warranty but average power and performance?, or supper high end power to run any game at ultra and most games 100fps +?

I just want the best value and experience for my money.