Why did AMD release Ryzen without any integrated graphics or APU?

Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,
Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

So 2nd generation has built in Radeon Vega but Ryzen 1 the iGPU took too much space?

No, the GPU part was not ready for 1st gen/they didn't have the money for it. Only select SKUs of Ryzen 3 and 5 have integrated graphics for 2nd gen. 

Regarding the OP's question. AMD knew that the majority of people that would buy their new processors would be gamers. This meant that the majority would already have graphics cards in their system or factored into a budget. Since AMD had been on the back foot for processors for the past few years, they knew they needed as much die space as possible to add components that would wipe the grin off Intel's face. Adding integrated graphics wasn't a priority for them because what they needed was fast CPUs to start selling in volume and re-establish AMD as a serious hard hitter in the CPU space. 

While an iGPU is helpful when troubleshooting a GPU issue, ultimately that's not something that affects the vast majority of their customers and it was easier for them to produce high performance CPUs at first if they weren't worrying about getting Vega onto an 8 core processor.

The fact that Vega was also a bit of a letdown when it launched may also have played into it because while a lot of enthusiasts on the likes of this forum would know we wouldn't use the Vega graphics that much anyway, to average Joe walking into his local computer shop, it could be a deal breaker if he doesn't understand it. There were loads of headlines slamming AMD and Vega for not being as good as Pascal and someone who's not as into computers could see Vega on the packaging and think that he definitely doesn't want that. You don't see articles slamming Intel's iGPU because it's not based on a high end gaming architecture.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So why did AMD release Ryzen without any integrated graphics or APU? Even though you obviously wouldn't run games off of integrated graphics it's still very useful to have and helps a lot in troubleshooting, especially in graphics card related troubleshooting.

TL;DR: how much are you willing to pay for "nice to have"?

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

My understanding is that the next gen of Ryzen will have integrated Vega graphics.

I could be wrong, but I don't see this happening for anything with more than 4 cores, 6 at best if they start making bigger CCXs, since the way Ryzen APUs are made right now is by having the iGPU take the place used by the second CCX in Ryzen 5-7. So, you either get CCX+CCX, or you get CCX+iGPU in the same package.

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

It's good to have competition. Intel has to start doing stuff now.

Ryzen is also keeping the same socket? AMD were sending CPU to customers to help flash their mobos right?

Agreed :)

Yes and Yes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

TL;DR: how much are you willing to pay for "nice to have"?

I have a 4790K that I'm really happy with right now and I am running triple monitor with one monitor running off Integrated Graphics so for me personally it's worth the extra. But I could see for most others it maybe wouldn't worth it.

If you have a 4790k you would be down grading going to a ryzen sku that has a built in igpu. 

10 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Like I said, I don't necessarily wanted to game or do anything demanding on an iGPU, it's more the flexibility.

Right now I'm running triple monitor, 2 off my 280 and 1 off my 4790K. Also, if there's any issues with my GPU I can still troubleshoot using integrated graphics which is helpful. I just wondering if I were to consider another build, if lack of integrated graphics would be a deal breaker for a Ryzen system but it seems that's going to change.

Thanks for the knowledge everyone :)

Image result for tai lopez knowledge

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Just speculation, but AMD likely prioritized getting iGPU-less Ryzen out the door to iron out whatever they could for when their APUs launched; that and they probably wanted to iron out RAM issues, too, while they were getting ready to launch the APUs.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.