Why did AMD release Ryzen without any integrated graphics or APU?

Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,
Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

So 2nd generation has built in Radeon Vega but Ryzen 1 the iGPU took too much space?

No, the GPU part was not ready for 1st gen/they didn't have the money for it. Only select SKUs of Ryzen 3 and 5 have integrated graphics for 2nd gen. 

Hey all, excuse me for my ignorance.

So why did AMD release Ryzen without any integrated graphics or APU? Even though you obviously wouldn't run games off of integrated graphics it's still very useful to have and helps a lot in troubleshooting, especially in graphics card related troubleshooting.

Was it a matter of they ran out of time to develop the APU for current series? My understanding is that the next gen of Ryzen will have integrated Vega graphics.

Would just like some further information and some knowledge. Thanks everyone.

Are you talking about Ryzen 1 or 2?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Are you talking about Ryzen 1 or 2?

Both of them I guess.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

They have APU chips, but the main consumer chips use their die space for more cores. The iGPU takes up so much space. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Here ya go @DrMacintosh:) 

But SKU wise there are way more non APU chips than not. I don't mind, but I would rather have more cores than an iGPU. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Here ya go @DrMacintosh:) 

image.png.922268bcaaf64873a9437a66b111037a.png

...That's different from what he was talking about...

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They have APU chips, but the main consumer chips use their die space for more cores. The iGPU takes up so much space. 

So 2nd generation has built in Radeon Vega but Ryzen 1 the iGPU took too much space? For the mainstream processors?

Just now, bleedblue said:

...That's different from what he was talking about...

How? He's asking why AMD Ryzen doesn't have iGPUs or APUs. Is there something that I'm missing here?:/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So 2nd generation has built in Radeon Vega but Ryzen 1 the iGPU took too much space?

No, the GPU part was not ready for 1st gen/they didn't have the money for it. Only select SKUs of Ryzen 3 and 5 have integrated graphics for 2nd gen. 

I apologize guys, I've only just got my head around all the Intel side of things, (now they add the i7 without hyper-threading to confuse everything) now I'm trying to get an understanding of the AMD offerings.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

They're both Gen 2?

Yes. It's written in the bottom of the description of both of them :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Cool thanks for the clarity, so it's not as if they don't want integrated graphics, they were just limited at the time of launch.

Cool thanks for the clarity, so it's not as if they don't want integrated graphics, they were just limited at the time of launch.

Pretty much. And now that they are kicking Intel in the ass, well now they can make APUs that are pretty great. 

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

Yes. It's written in the bottom of the description of both of them :) 

On Ryzen 5 it is, but not on the Ryzen 3 description. It say 'now including' which would indicate it's not the original but still xD. Thanks for the info.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

now I'm trying to get an understanding of the AMD offerings.

It's always good to have a wide perspective :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On Ryzen 5 it is, but not on the Ryzen 3 description. 

Agh! Herpy derpy :D 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryzen for now, only have APU for 4 cores "low" end chip.

I think most people will have a graphics card anyway for higher end cpu R5/R7

not really relevant in terms of space, who would care if cpu is two times larger in size

6 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

How? He's asking why AMD Ryzen doesn't have iGPUs or APUs. Is there something that I'm missing here?:/

Reread his question, I thought he was talking about the OG ryzen launch. My bad.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Pretty much. And now that they are kicking Intel in the ass, well now they can make APUs that are pretty great. 

It's good to have competition. Intel has to start doing stuff now.

Ryzen is also keeping the same socket? AMD were sending CPU to customers to help flash their mobos right?

It's always good to have a wide perspective :) 

Agreed :)

Still find the socket-chipset-model scheme a little confusing. I think Wikipedia organizes the information better than AMD or Intel's own sites. xD

AMD were sending CPU to customers to help flash their mobos right?

Yes you can ask the AMD Support to send you a Bios Flash Kit

Still find the socket-chipset-model scheme a little confusing. I think Wikipedia organizes the information better than AMD or Intel's own sites. xD

Haha, so true! :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Reread his question, I thought he was talking about the OG ryzen launch. My bad.

My question was a little vague, sorry, just wanted some clarity on the whole Ryzen line and which has iGPU/APU and which didn't and why. :)

Like I said, I don't necessarily wanted to game or do anything demanding on an iGPU, it's more the flexibility.

Right now I'm running triple monitor, 2 off my 280 and 1 off my 4790K. Also, if there's any issues with my GPU I can still troubleshoot using integrated graphics which is helpful. I just wondering if I were to consider another build, if lack of integrated graphics would be a deal breaker for a Ryzen system but it seems that's going to change.

Thanks for the knowledge everyone :)

Image result for tai lopez knowledge