worn out mousepad?

aezakmi

I had a Steelseries mousepad for a few months (3) and last week started noticing it was already worn out in the middle where the mouse usually is, there was also a black sticky thing in my desk also in the same place and in the edges but particularly where my wrist or arm sits, the cloth lost its colour (red) and ended up being gray

already cleaned my desk but it looked like the rubber base (somehow) melted and glued to the desk, really weird mainly because I always had cheap ass mouse pads and this never happened to those

the first thing I used as mousepad was a piece of EVA (foam) and lasted me 4 years... are steelseries just bad or is this normal for all mousepads?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I've heard that happens with a lot of Steelseries mousepads, as well as fraying around the edges.

No mousepad is supposed to melt to the desk like that, I think it might be a Steelseries problem.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I'd see if warranty works out in this case?

I have a razer mantis speed mousepad for like 10 years or so and it's all fine lol

Same problem here, mine is fraying in the bottom left corner, right where my wrist usually rubs up against the side.  I'm also having some melting issues in the same spot.  Time to look for a replacement from a different brand.

Yep. Stealseries is complete junk.  Every product I've ever owned from them (3 mouse pads and a mouse) had started to basically disintegrate in less than a year.  The $8 mouse pad I got off amazon has a stitched edge, is bigger and has lasted twice as long (so far) than any of the mats I got from SS.

32 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Yep. Stealseries is complete junk.  Every product I've ever owned from them (3 mouse pads and a mouse) had started to basically disintegrate in less than a year.  The $8 mouse pad I got off amazon has a stitched edge, is bigger and has lasted twice as long (so far) than any of the mats I got from SS.

43 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Same problem here, mine is fraying in the bottom left corner, right where my wrist usually rubs up against the side.  I'm also having some melting issues in the same spot.  Time to look for a replacement from a different brand.

damn... how is this possible? what a scam

time to get that cheap foam again

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

48 minutes ago, Hip said:

I'd see if warranty works out in this case?

I have a razer mantis speed mousepad for like 10 years or so and it's all fine lol

I had 3 days with the store for returns or replacements, after that I'd have to send it to Taiwan fml

Some quick potato shots for those wondering what we're on about :

How I normally use my mouse :

IMG_20180902_230626.jpg.e234bae022a1a50fe04d5f786abeb920.jpg

Fraying at the corner, where my wrist rubs onto the mousepad :

IMG_20180902_230636.jpg.198bed53179fe318790dbbc9bd6446a8.jpg

Below the mousepad, less than 48 hours after properly cleaning the desk with isopropyl alcohol. 

IMG_20180902_230647.jpg.cd9e080e343dea06c8b15672a47417cf.jpg

It was perfectly clean, now this dark smudge is starting to form.  It's sticky, so there's no wiping that off without alcohol.

It was a lot worse when I cleaned it yesterday morning, with a 1" diameter completely black spot and quite a bit of dark smudge, but at that point I didn't even stop to think that it would be from the mousepad itself.  After reading the OP I put two and two together though.

This is a 6 month old €20 QcK+, by the way.  I had the same fraying problem with the QcK Heavy (same size but a lot thicker) and the smaller QcK that I bought to use at work. 

I replaced those as soon as it started, so they probably didn't have time to really melt.  This is the last Steelseries mousepad I bought though. 

That's really quite weird. Personally I've never worn out any mouse mat

3 hours ago, 3NMa said:

That's really quite weird. Personally I've never worn out any mouse mat

yeah... and you haven't seen the mouse

it had rubber grips on both sides that have partially dissapeared by now, not to mention the buttons

that's what playing ranked games in the most toxic league of legends server in the world does.

I've never paid for a mousepad and I don't think I ever will. The cheapo ones are usually pretty good, check out Redragon

That's an F in the profile pic