Do I need to upgrade my psu?

mr.happy
Go to solution Solved by mr.happy,

I'll just wait until they come out to see what will be best to upgrade to

Do I need to upgrade my PSU for the new 2080, I currently have an EVGA 550w G3 PSU

Yes you would have to, unless you are using like a cpu that is superlow power but considering its a 2080 probably not. I got 550w on psu calc so you should prbably go for 650-750w

1 minute ago, mr.happy said:

i7-8700k not overclocked

Weak.

Just kidding, 8700K + 2080 seems like you would need 650W at least, but don't quote me on that since I'm not the greatest at estimating PSU sizes.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I wouldn't necessarily say you HAVE to, but its probably advisable.

They always recommend a higher PSU than strictly necessary to account for the fact there are good PSUs and bad PSUs that can't reliable operate at their supposed rating.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Wait and see.  If the card uses about the same as a 10-series card, I doubt you'll draw more than 450W from the wall.

My overclocked 5930K and 1080Ti draw just a little over 400W when I stress them both at the same time, and I can imagine that my old CPU is a lot more power-hungry than a stock 8700K

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I wouldn't necessarily say you HAVE to, but its probably advisable.

They always recommend a higher PSU than strictly necessary to account for the fact there are good PSUs and bad PSUs that can't reliable operate at their supposed rating.

3 hours ago, seoz said:

Weak.

Just kidding, 8700K + 2080 seems like you would need 650W at least, but don't quote me on that since I'm not the greatest at estimating PSU sizes.

3 hours ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Yes you would have to, unless you are using like a cpu that is superlow power but considering its a 2080 probably not. I got 550w on psu calc so you should prbably go for 650-750w

You could power a GTX 580 and 1920X on a 550W PSU. OP is fine. Unless the RTX uses triple the power of the 1080 then OP will be fine.

3 hours ago, mr.happy said:

Don't upgrade. Your 550G3 is what I would recommend to someone shopping for a PSU for a 2080 and 8700K that they plan to overclock.

An 8700K and 1080 would use about 350W overclocked.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||