Bank Payment Disputes and Steam

So Steam Support is unwilling to refund a product that does not actually work. As in it won't even launch. No error or anything. It opens up and the closes within seconds. It seems as though this is a known problem with the game, however I hadn't even tried launching the game until today as I bought it during a Steam sale but didn't try playing it until now.

So because of this I am forced to go to my bank and file a dispute against the charge, however the only written information about something close to this is in-regards to chargebacks. However it would be a payment dispute and not a charge back.

My concern is because Steam has nothing written in this sort of situation on their support page, that they will try and lock my account. Essentially they've seemingly create a loophole that they can take advantage of at their will.

Has anyone else filed a bank dispute in regards to a steam purchase that the product ended up being faulty or broken. More so to the point it didn't work from the start (out of the box)? If so, did your account get locked? Or do you still have access to it.

I asked all this on the Steam reddit (as it's more likely to be seen by plenty of users), but their pos reddit auto-mod bot auto-locked the thread. Which is just a headache and frustrating to deal with.

What game is it, and what computer hardware do you have?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It's a game I had growing up. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack.

What's confusing and makes no sense is that the first game works fine out of the box. Which makes me think it's not the age of the game, it's something to do with how it's written.

10 minutes ago, Daragoth~ said:

that they will try and lock my account.

They'll just lock certain features and make it limited until your payments are shown to be valid again. It sounds like you're also past the time frame for refunding, one of the downsides of waiting to play games from sales. Older games and early access ones are iffy at best and there's no guarantee beyond the refund window period that it will work.

4 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

They'll just lock certain features and make it limited until your payments are shown to be valid again. It sounds like you're also past the time frame for refunding, one of the downsides of waiting to play games from sales. Older games and early access ones are iffy at best and there's no guarantee beyond the refund window period that it will work.

Any way you can confirm that? I don't want to end up with a locked Steam account with hundreds-thousands of dollars in games because a game I bought doesn't work at all.

Also if you can confirm that, any idea what feature they will lock?

3 hours ago, Daragoth~ said:

It's a game I had growing up. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack.

I can understand the frustrations of the game not working, but for something that is full price $10 (that you bought on sale), is it really worth the effort of going through your credit card company and doing a charge back for what will likely be a few dollars?

I have found some guides in the Steam Community for the game that outline how to solve the issue you have.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802832319

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338892327

Give those a try and see if you can get it running.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I say it's not worth hassle. This is 70% your own fault for not trying game at once. I'm having something similar with Anno 2070 which needs access to Uplay before I can even play sp. I'm going to suck it in. Just like any other bad purchase. Steam has their rules for a reason.

And at your end this may cause more issues than just freezing your Steam account. Bank/CC company might put mark on your records for any future issues or claims on payments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv