What surface should I buikl,d my computer on

Hey guys just wondering what surface i should build my first build on. I dont know whats best and worse in terms of electricity, I have though plastic mats that you use for desk chairs when its on carpet, would that be ok since its plastic. I will be wearing and anti static band as well, so i am also wondering if all that needs to be is attached to some metal obnject to work. Also for the surface would building on a plastic mat on a wooden desk be better

Thanks 

Even just the wooden desk on its own would be fine.

The anti static band will need to be connected to something metal.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

Hey guys just wondering what surface i should build my first build on. I dont know whats best and worse in terms of electricity, I have though plastic mats that you use for desk chairs when its on carpet, would that be ok since its plastic. I will be wearing and anti static band as well, so i am also wondering if all that needs to be is attached to some metal obnject to work. Also for the surface would building on a plastic mat on a wooden desk be better

Thanks 

A simple wooden table or plastic table will be fine. If you have a Mat that can go over the table that would also be good for your build. Make sure you place your motherboard on top of the box it came in when building. 

ok thank you guys for the help i really appreciate it 

2 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

ok thank you guys for the help i really appreciate it 

No problem ;) and good luck

A Microsoft Surface, of course! :P

But seriously, any desk that doesn't have a metal top.

Assuming you bought quality parts, you should have no concern about static electricity (in a normal environment). Hardware tend to be well protected. Shops and IT services tend to do it, mostly to be hyper save, and not have to cash out, say a new motherboard or CPU, losing $300+ in parts replacement for a $100 or less service. In your case, if something is broken after you built your system, most likely it was already broken in the box, and just return it to the store as faulty and buy it again, or RMA it if you can't return it to the store

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 4:57 AM, YakityYak said:

I have though plastic mats that you use for desk chairs when its on carpet, would that be ok since its plastic

Don't use these because they often create static charge. Wooden table is fine. Don't stand on carpet. Don't wear socks. Anti static band must be attached to conductive piece of metal.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018