Help Needed with Toshiba Hard Drive

Boomwebsearch

I have a desktop computer which recently had its hard drive fail and therefore the system was not able to boot to the operating system. I am looking to replace the drive in that system although I left that task for awhile and now I do not remember where the drive is (because I removed it) and am not sure what type of hard drive interface I need for my new drive to have. I have found one which I will link although I am not sure if this is going to be compatible with my Dell Vostro 200. Please let me know if the linked drive will work and what interface this computer supports for hard drives. 

link to the drive which I have found on eBay:   https://www.ebay.com/p/Toshiba-HDD1584-80GB-Internal-4200RPM-1-8-MK-8007GAH-HDD/110718085?iid=302747084242&chn=ps

Thank you in advance,   @Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

43 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I have a desktop computer which recently had its hard drive fail and therefore the system was not able to boot to the operating system. I am looking to replace the drive in that system although I left that task for awhile and now I do not remember where the drive is (because I removed it) and am not sure what type of hard drive interface I need for my new drive to have. I have found one which I will link although I am not sure if this is going to be compatible with my Dell Vostro 200. Please let me know if the linked drive will work and what interface this computer supports for hard drives. 

link to the drive which I have found on eBay:   https://www.ebay.com/p/Toshiba-HDD1584-80GB-Internal-4200RPM-1-8-MK-8007GAH-HDD/110718085?iid=302747084242&chn=ps

Thank you in advance,   @Boomwebsearch

After a quick google of your computer model specs, it appears that your computer has a SATA interface. The drive you found on e-Bay is an IDE drive, which will not be compatible

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Can you post a picture of what the interface looks like on the computer side of things?

What you linked doesn't look like what you would put into a desktop computer. That is a drive looks like something that would go into a very small portable device.

I could be wrong but the Vostro 200 should just need a normal SATA drive. Honestly you might consider a cheap SSD Might breath a little bit more life into that computer.

23 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

What you linked doesn't look like what you would put into a desktop computer. That is a drive looks like something that would go into a very small portable device.

I already have some drive form factor (to 2.5 inch ) adapters laying around so I would not mind getting a a smaller drive and I could maybe use it in a laptop later. The power supply of this system got changed to a Diablotech 400 watt unit to allow more power able to be provided to connected cards on the system such as the GPU and the WIFI adapter which were added. The motherboard was kept the same, based on that information, would you be able to let me know what interface of drives are supported with my configuration of hardware within my system? Not planning to use this drive for important data so I am considering to get a budget SSD although am concerned that it will not last as long as a HDD which would be cheaper to get.

@Boomwebsearch 

Also, would something such as the linked adapter be able to make this drive work with my Dell Vostro or would there be something else needed for this drive to function with my computer (assuming that it is able to be done)? I found this drive model on sale (at a good price) at a local hardware store and am curious if it could be used with some adapter/s to work with my PC.

@Eastman51   @Catsrules

link to an IDE to SATA adapter which I am questioning would be able to make this drive be able to work with the Dell Vostro 200:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-4-Pin-IDE-Molex-to-15-Pin-Serial-ATA-SATA-Hard-Drive-Power-Adapter-Cable-JBCA/262328104617?hash=item3d13f936a9%3Ag%3AhtAAAOSwnGJWTrTO&LH_BIN=1

@Boomwebsearch 

2 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I already have some drive form factor (to 2.5 inch ) adapters laying around so I would not mind getting a a smaller drive and I could maybe use it in a laptop later. The power supply of this system got changed to a Diablotech 400 watt unit to allow more power able to be provided to connected cards on the system such as the GPU and the WIFI adapter which were added. The motherboard was kept the same, based on that information, would you be able to let me know what interface of drives are supported with my configuration of hardware within my system? Not planning to use this drive for important data so I am considering to get a budget SSD although am concerned that it will not last as long as a HDD which would be cheaper to get.

The power connector will be the same regardless if you buy a 2.5in drive or a 3.5in drive. Usually the biggest issue is drive sizes but it sounds like you got that covered with your 2.5in adapters. Even if you didn't have those you can get away with screwing one side down or taping the drive to the case, especially if it is an SSD. Much less weight and isn't as delicate as a hard drive. 

So as long as you have a SATA connector and a SATA power connector in the computer your good.

So right now you should have two spare cables in the computer

SATA connector will look something like this

SATA2K-XXL-Amphenol-SATA-Cable-Straight-

And SATA power connector will look something like this

HTB10A30KVXXXXcOXFXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

If do you have those your all set to go. Buy whatever you want you can go for a SSD or a Hard drive you just need to figure out how much space you need and how much of a budge you have to buy storage. If you don't need that much space go for the SSD your will see much better performance. However both will last you a very long time, I would bet the life of the computer at this point so don't get them based on what might last longer.

10 hours ago, Catsrules said:

If do you have those your all set to go. Buy whatever you want you can go for a SSD or a Hard drive you just need to figure out how much space you need and how much of a budge you have to buy storage. If you don't need that much space go for the SSD your will see much better performance. However both will last you a very long time, I would bet the life of the computer at this point so don't get them based on what might last longer.

Would this mean that I could use any SATA based drive in this system? Would I be able to put some adapter/s on the current connector cables and make it work with something like the Toshiba hard drive which I have linked in my original post or are only SATA based drives compatible?

@Boomwebsearch 

Would a product like the one which I will link within this post be able to convent this drive in a way which it would therefore be able to function properly with my Vostro 200?

Link to a PATA IDE to SATA converter which I am wondering if it will work to make this drive usable with my Dell Vostro 200:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATA-IDE-to-Serial-ATA-SATA-Interface-HDD-Hard-Drive-DVD-Converter-Adapter-4pin/253761478393?epid=1439349232&hash=item3b155cdef9:g:wXwAAOSwwMJbUAIh#rwid

@Boomwebsearch 

On 8/26/2018 at 7:57 AM, Boomwebsearch said:

Would a product like the one which I will link within this post be able to convent this drive in a way which it would therefore be able to function properly with my Vostro 200?

Link to a PATA IDE to SATA converter which I am wondering if it will work to make this drive usable with my Dell Vostro 200:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATA-IDE-to-Serial-ATA-SATA-Interface-HDD-Hard-Drive-DVD-Converter-Adapter-4pin/253761478393?epid=1439349232&hash=item3b155cdef9:g:wXwAAOSwwMJbUAIh#rwid

No, the drive you linked in your first post has a very uncommon connector I am not familiar with it, I think it is PATA IDE but like a super small form factor or something. I have seen old IDE connectors on 2.5" drives they do look something like this drive but they are male connectors not female. 

I would stay away from the 1.8" drive, better off sticking with common formfactors.

Just get a normal SATA drive and call it good. Leave the IDE drives back in the 90s.