nvme support check

OhYou_

Is there a way to check with some form of software to see if a laptop is compatible with nvme?

It has a 4x keyed slot at least, but I'd like to check somehow before spending $450 on a 970 pro 1tb.

Laptop in question is a panasonic cf-rz4 and the manual doesn't say anything about it, just that the drive it comes with is a sata, which it is.

Cpu is a broadwell m-5y71 with 12 pci-e lanes, which seems like enough  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

It must have. The thinkpad helix 2 has the same cpu and Lenovo states that it has a nvme drive.

https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_Helix_2nd_Gen?M=20CG0019%2B%2B

all depends on the bios support. Id just buy the drive from a place that allows easy returns.. make sure the bios is updated.

Why are you getting a 970 pro, get a evo you probably don't need the mlc here. or get a drive like a ex920 thats basically the same speeds or faster for conumser tasks.

I have concluded that it doesn't work in any way.

it is not detected in GNU/linux or a windows 10 install media. I'm guessing this means that the port is not wired for PCI-E and that the hardware engineering team at Panasonic are level 2 trolls for putting a M key on a SATA3 wired port.

Or I possibly got a bad drive. but meh

Whats the fastest 1tera m.2 SATA ssd?

Spoiler

no.png.f832dbe354fac2490b3bda107893b413.png