Upgrading Cards

Evocashious

Greetings, long time fan first time poster.

I can't seem to find a decent answer elsewhere on the net so I figured I might get a decent answer here. I am currently running a 780 Ti which surprisingly has held up great for the last 5 years at 1080p 60hz. However, I recently bought a new 1440p 144hz G Sync monitor and it is crushing the poor thing. I got excited when I heard about the new graphics cards coming out but not really sure if I should jump on the bandwagon and get a 2080 or just buy a decently priced 1080 Ti. I would prefer to be future proof for several years if possible as I'm sure you can guess I don't upgrade often. Just looking for some advice on what to buy. 

Just wait for some benchmarks and then see. 

If the 2000 series is mediocre, then get a cheaper price dropped 1000 series.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

It's too early to call it. A low end 2080 from manufacturers' baseline product stack has yet to have a definitive price tag, and it also appears that the gaming performance in non-ray tracing titles and without deep learning tools is not enormous. However, when we do finally get those gaming performance numbers, we'll see if a 1080 ti or a 2080 is more worth it. If you don't want to wait, a 1080 ti is a safer bet if you're looking to buy before october.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

42 minutes ago, Evocashious said:

Greetings, long time fan first time poster.

I can't seem to find a decent answer elsewhere on the net so I figured I might get a decent answer here. I am currently running a 780 Ti which surprisingly has held up great for the last 5 years at 1080p 60hz. However, I recently bought a new 1440p 144hz G Sync monitor and it is crushing the poor thing. I got excited when I heard about the new graphics cards coming out but not really sure if I should jump on the bandwagon and get a 2080 or just buy a decently priced 1080 Ti. I would prefer to be future proof for several years if possible as I'm sure you can guess I don't upgrade often. Just looking for some advice on what to buy. 

If I were in your situation I would get 2080, even if performance wise compared to 1080 wouldn't be too impressive. First of all u said u do t upgrade very often so getting top notch card would be a good move couse it's gonna last at least those 2 years. Second point it's the resselability. If something happen and you want to upgrade next year you'll get more cash for 2080 than 1080 so that's a plus. I do that every year and I'm usually ending up adding £150-200 every year which sounds much better than forking out 500-700 for gpu. It's obviously up to you but bear in mind ps5 is coming in a year or two and graphic in games will sky rocket on pc as well as hardware requirements plus ray tracing by that  time may end up in most  games.

GeForce 2000 series in terms off price wise alone definitely are piece of shit!  Don't be fool don't buy it better go for GTX 1080 Ti or wait when price will drop.

RTX 2080 Ti 1200$ = 35fps, 1920x1080, Shadow of Tomb Raider. 

I appreciate all the feedback and I will definitely take it all into consideration. And actually I saw that Tomb Raider gameplay before. If I'm not mistaken that's with the ray tracing stuff active isn't it? Meaning without it on it's supposed to be better than a 1080 TI. But with it on and running those games it kind of runs like crap. I'm still hoping to wait for reviews before jumping. I'm especially interested in Linus and Jayz opinions and testing as I'm not that knowledgeable myself. I pretty much expected the new lighting and shading stuff to blow. But I usually turn Shadows off anyways if it affects performance too much. My goal is to simply max out my monitor mentioned in Op without melting the card.