New Hybrid Drive

Rhythm8503
Go to solution Solved by dcgreen2k,

You have to install Windows yourself, if that's what you're asking. As for a graphics card, a used GTX 750Ti would do well although it will be held back by your CPU. The 750Ti is good for when you decide to upgrade the rest of the system to something more powerful as well. 

2 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Will this work?

Dell Dimension E510: 

MotherBoard: RD203

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Processor - 8 MB - LGA775 Socket

RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 2Rx4 240-Pin 1.8V ECC FBDIMM Fully Buffered Memory by NEMIX RAM

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Internal HDD - 3.5" - ST2000DM006 - SATA 6Gb/s - 7,200 rpm

Case: Dell Dimension E510 

Power Supply: 305W

Can't say for sure without testing it, however, based on this thread, it doesn't look promising as one of the posts indicate the Core2 Duo (and thus the Extremes) are not compatible with E510 motherboards. https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/175061-upgrading-p4-core-2-duo.html

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Can't say for sure without testing it, however, based on this thread, it doesn't look promising as one of the posts indicate the Core2 Duo (and thus the Extremes) are not compatible with E510 motherboards. https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/175061-upgrading-p4-core-2-duo.html

How about an Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650? will that perform better than the Pentium? and work?

1 minute ago, Rhythm8503 said:

How about an Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650? will that perform better than the Pentium? and work?

Question: How did you set up those benchmarks so I don't bother you all night about this?

31 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

According to that thread I linked to, Core2 CPU's are not supported on that desktop motherboard. Period. You need to get a better computer. :P 

29 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Question: How did you set up those benchmarks so I don't bother you all night about this?

By going to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ scrolling down to the menu below and clicking "Search for your CPU model" then finding the CPU's and clicking compare. You can compare up to 3 CPUs at a time. Keep in mind that synthetic benchmarks like these are NOT indicative of how the CPUs will perform in real world situations, so you may still need to do some additional Googling if you want more definitive answers.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

According to that thread I linked to, Core2 CPU's are not supported on that desktop motherboard. Period. You need to get a better computer. :P 

By going to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ scrolling down to the menu below and clicking "Search for your CPU model" then finding the CPU's and clicking compare. You can compare up to 3 CPUs at a time. Keep in mind that synthetic benchmarks like these are NOT indicative of how the CPUs will perform in real world situations, so you may still need to do some additional Googling if you want more definitive answers.

Thanks, *Quietly screams in the head...* Ima search for more processors as I want to make this like a sleeper like in Linus Tech Tips vids, but with a budget. 

Why aren't the Intel Core 2s supported by the motherboard?

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Will the Intel Pentium E6300 perform better than the Intel Pentium D 945? I can't get CPU Benchmarks to work.

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Ok after doing research how will the Intel Pentium E6800 perform? Is it supported? Please help I'm only a beginner xD?

In addition are there any Quad cores that I can use?

12 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Why aren't the Intel Core 2s supported by the motherboard?

Because the motherboard was released / developed before Core2 processors were released, and thus requires a BIOS update, assuming the hardware / chipset is even capable of running said newer CPUs. You can check the supported CPUs in the service manual, but I'll save you some time: it only lists Pentium 4 / D CPU's as being compatible...

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_service manual_en-us.pdf

8 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Will the Intel Pentium E6300 or E6800 perform better than the Intel Pentium D 945? I can't get CPU Benchmarks to work.

Yes, those would perform better, but after researching above the supported CPUs for that system, you're really out of luck here unless you replace the computer itself. That machine was designed & manufactured in 2006, which all the newer E6xxx & E7xxx CPU's are from 3-4 years later. They use a different CPU socket too, so sorry, but I'd really recommend looking to build a new computer, or picking up a refurb with newer specs. https://ark.intel.com/compare/27520,42811

Otherwise you'll have to devote far more hours to researching your options for the LGA775 socket than I have time available, so personally I'd just save the time on that and instead look into more modern hardware at this point.

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because the motherboard was released / developed before Core2 processors were released, and thus requires a BIOS update, assuming the hardware / chipset is even capable of running said newer CPUs. You can check the supported CPUs in the service manual, but I'll save you some time: it only lists Pentium 4 / D CPU's as being compatible...

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_service manual_en-us.pdf

Yes, those would perform better, but after researching above the supported CPUs for that system, you're really out of luck here unless you replace the computer itself. That machine was designed & manufactured in 2006, which all the newer E6xxx & E7xxx CPU's are from 3-4 years later. They use a different CPU socket too, so sorry, but I'd really recommend looking to build a new computer, or picking up a refurb with newer specs. https://ark.intel.com/compare/27520,42811

Otherwise you'll have to devote far more hours to researching your options for the LGA775 socket than I have time available, so personally I'd just save the time on that and instead look into more modern hardware at this point.

will the Pentium D 960 work in modern standards today? or will it fail?

Is there any hope of this reaching somewhere by modern standards?

where can I find the PDF? cause for about 2 hours now I've been searching the internet

I got to go, please help me with this, I want to revive this PC and make it an old gaming pc. ttyl.

@kirashi that board can't run Core 2 CPUs because of a chipset limitation, not because of a BIOS update. Also, the E6000 series CPUs were made in 2006.

7 hours ago, Rhythm8503 said:

where can I find the PDF? cause for about 2 hours now I've been searching the internet

You're probably better off finding this on older tech forum threads instead of Dell's website, at least that's where I found my answers.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

12 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

@kirashi that board can't run Core 2 CPUs because of a chipset limitation, not because of a BIOS update. Also, the E6000 series CPUs were made in 2006.

You're probably better off finding this on older tech forum threads instead of Dell's website, at least that's where I found my answers.

As I noted above, I did also mention the Core2 CPUs "...requires a BIOS update, assuming the hardware / chipset is even capable of running said newer CPUs" so I agree - at this point, OP's best option is to either look into upgrading the computer, or hoping there's something out there compatible with the motherboard. (Which I am doubting, based on the age of the system overall.)