Can I add a wire to carry wireless signal of a wireless router ?

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,

The thing is though, WiFi degrades a LOT over even good antenna cable.

Typical routers also have two or more antennas and you need to have at least two of them for optimal speeds.

Honestly, the cost of doing that (as you will need antennas too) would be greater than running an ethernet cable into the second room and using a dedicated WiFi access point in there.  Plus the performance will be VASTLY better.

As shown in the 1st picture, the wifi router is in ROOM A, connected with a pc by Ethernet Cable. 

But I need wireless connectivity in ROOM B 20m away from ROOM A separated by 2 walls.

Can I just open up the router and replace the short wire with a long cable to the antenna from the circuit board  and place the antenna in room B ? (shown in the 2nd picture) 

If it's possible , tell me if I can use wires from ethernet cables. or suggest me good cable with low resistance.

My thoughts : maybe it won't work due to the resistance of long wire. ethernet cables have 18.8 ohm resistance which will increase with length. Even router's antenna connector has lower electric flow.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled - Copy.jpg

Technically: Yes

Realistically: No

Your router is extremely unlikely to be able to put out enough power through the wire for the length of wire you're using.

Have you looked into Beam forwarding such as a Cantenna?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

If all else fails you can use Powerline Adapters. A set of two will run you between $18-35

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just run a ethernet cable and then have a second access point in the other room.

"2nd access point" meaning ? should i place the router in room B and run the ethernet cable to the pc in room A ? or add another router in room B ?

Just now, xisun.mahmud said:

"2nd access point" meaning ? should i place the router in room B and run the ethernet cable to the pc in room A ? or add another router in room B ?

get a cheap wireless access point and run a cable to it. Get anouther cheaper router or a access point.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

get a cheap wireless access point and run a cable to it. Get anouther cheaper router or a access point.

actually i dont wanna cost anything on that.

actually i dont wanna cost anything on that.

how much do you wanna spend? A cheap router can be like 30 bucks and will work fine.

how much do you wanna spend? A cheap router can be like 30 bucks and will work fine.

okay , i'll think about it later. 

can i execute my plan ? is it possible ?

okay , i'll think about it later. 

can i execute my plan ? is it possible ?

Might work, probably not a good idea. You want good rf cable here, and that stuff isn't cheap.

You can extend antennas for a while, but they introduce more loss in the cable.

For consumer grade crap it's not too much of an option, adding another AP in that room would be much better.  With the two antennas and most MIMO type of deployments you'd see some weird behavior with your current AP if you were to straddle them which drags down performance for all of the other clients.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Technically: Yes

Realistically: No

Your router is extremely unlikely to be able to put out enough power through the wire for the length of wire you're using.

Have you looked into Beam forwarding such as a Cantenna?

how can mount that thing ! 

is there any way to amplify the power ? so that it can handle the resistance ?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Might work, probably not a good idea. You want good rf cable here, and that stuff isn't cheap.

will it work with ethernet cable ? 

1 minute ago, xisun.mahmud said:

is there any way to amplify the power ? so that it can handle the resistance ?

you can, but you need a rf amp, and rf design is a pain, really get anouther access point, cheaper and easier.

2 minutes ago, xisun.mahmud said:

https://jacobsalmela.com/2013/09/07/wi-fi-cantenna-2-4ghz-how-to-make-a-long-range-wi-fi-antenna/

you can, but you need a rf amp, and rf design is a pain, really get anouther access point, cheaper and easier.

okay. this thing should work i think. i can add the broadband line to the new AP and run 2 wires for pc and the wireless router. and place the router in room B.

or should i use another wireless router ?

ubiquiti-unifi-security-gateway-usg.jpg

okay. this thing should work i think. i can add the broadband line to the new AP and run 2 wires for pc and the wireless router. and place the router in room B.

or should i use another wireless router ?

ubiquiti-unifi-security-gateway-usg.jpg

thats a router. You want a access point. You want something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534970409&sr=1-1&keywords=unifi+ap+ac

if you want ubiquity

As per others the device in the image has zero wireless capability.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

The thing is though, WiFi degrades a LOT over even good antenna cable.

Typical routers also have two or more antennas and you need to have at least two of them for optimal speeds.

Honestly, the cost of doing that (as you will need antennas too) would be greater than running an ethernet cable into the second room and using a dedicated WiFi access point in there.  Plus the performance will be VASTLY better.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7