The company behind the adorably doomed robot Kuri is shutting down

Effective from August 21st Mayfield Robotics, the company behind the Kuri home robot, is pausing operations.

Less than a month after Mayfield Robotics said it was stopping production on its Kuri home robot, the company announced today on its blog that the company will be shutting down. 

Launched through Bosch's Startup Platform in 2015 the company failed to develop commercial partnerships leading to the decision to cease operations in October.

Since late 2017, we’ve been searching for external partners to support our future. Together with Bosch, we pursued many options for additional financial investment and long-term technology development. Unfortunately, we were unable to reach an agreement with any of the many dozens of companies we talked to. Sadly, this means that Mayfield Robotics will cease all operations by October 31st, 2018.

Our team is beyond disappointed. Together we’ve spent the past four years designing and building not just Kuri, but also an equally incredible company culture and spirit. Given this news, we’re now doing everything we can to support our team. To help to make this transition as smooth as possible, Bosch will help with severance packages and outplacement services, and our team has the option to apply to open positions at Bosch.

When we began this adventure in 2015, we knew our goals were ambitious, and we knew that home robots were still just an idea that we would have to shape. We’re proud of the work we’ve done, and the adorable robot we’ve made. We only wish we could have shipped many more of them to homes and families. The work has certainly inspired all of us, and now we’ll have to wait and see what we all make next.

Another unfortunate end for a "smart assistant" company and it seems likely that we will see more news of this type as the main players develop their solutions further.

Sources:

https://www.heykuri.com/blog/the-future-of-mayfield-robotics-kuri-home-robot/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/21/17765330/mayfield-robotics-kuri-robot-shutting-down

Was it just an Alexa on wheels?  (@Amazon brb, filing patent for that idea)

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

a robot that follows you around and takes pictures and videos of you and your family O.oO.o FBI plz dont look

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

"please pay for this robot that drives around your home and films and listens all the time!" how about fuck off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Windows is shutting down urge entire company for updates a spokesperson said

5 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

winxppro.png

*Nostalgia intensifies*

Kuri robots are adorable one, I always wish to have this kind of robot that captures every single moments around your home. Unfortunately, the manufacturer is shutting down and it a very sad news for fans of cute robots. I hope that they will return in manufacturing once the problems encountered are solved.