Yamaha AVR and 4k Netflix

Wadzinsky

I recently discovered that while my computer is hooked up through HDMI to my Yamaha RX V-381 receiver, the option in Netflix for UHD 4k disappears and I am left with only HD, but when my computer is plugged directly into the TV (bypassing the receiver) UHD 4k is suddenly available.  Nothing else changes.  The display is running in 3840x2160 @60hz 4.4.4 8bit color.  

Here's my setup info 

EVGA GTX 1070

HDMI 18gbps cables 

Samsung 50" UHD HDR (NU7100)

Yamaha RX V-381 receiver (already set hdmi mode to 1 for 4k@60hz)

I did a lot of research to find out that in my case it would seem the EDID info is lost when going through the receiver.  Even tho the screen is set to 4k 60hz, the Netflix app isn't getting the info it needs to determine if my display is capable of 4k content.  My only issue in bypassing the receiver is losing my surround sound when hooked directly to the tv.  I like having my games in surround sound through the HDMI in the receiver.   

If I were to get a HDMI splitter on Monoprice, would I be able to plug it into my 1070 and then output to both my TV and Receiver to get the UHD in Netflix and the surround sound in games?  Or would I be running into the same issue as going through the receiver?

do you have the highest Plan?

They have changes some things in the plans, at least i thought recently.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Yes.  The option is available for 4k if I bypass my receiver and plug straight to the TV

Then the splitter doesn't do EDID minder anymore?.is there a firmware update?

I'll check into that.  It was the cheapest HDMI receiver I could find so I'm sure my options are going to be limited.  But that is my concern is that EDID would be lost in the splitter leaving me in the same situation I'm in now 

As it seems, the v-381 isn't firmware upgradable.  the 581 is tho.  Mine doesn't have ethernet

The splitter will take the lowest common denominator of audio channels to play back.

I tried to get one to send audio to my receiver and then video to my monitor separately, and it would only send stereo to my receiver since my monitor only supports stereo.

Dunno how to help with the EDID info being lost though... but at least I can save you from buying an unnecessary splitter.

#Muricaparrotgang

21 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

The splitter will take the lowest common denominator of audio channels to play back.

I tried to get one to send audio to my receiver and then video to my monitor separately, and it would only send stereo to my receiver since my monitor only supports stereo.

Dunno how to help with the EDID info being lost though... but at least I can save you from buying an unnecessary splitter.

it seems like you need a splitter with a edid minder, that can pass through the data between the source and output, the problem is, these don't come cheap.

12 hours ago, FastRDust said:

it seems like you need a splitter with a edid minder, that can pass through the data between the source and output, the problem is, these don't come cheap.

Maybe, but I'm not spending that much on something. Easier to just unplug my PC and plug in my PS4 to the monitor. I think having the receiver and PC plugged in at the same time freaks out the PC since two monitors are the same. Damn you high Hz monitors! And damn you low Hz receivers!

#Muricaparrotgang

For now I'm just bypassing the receiver for the HDMI and running my games with Dolby Digital through optical.  Not quite as nice as direct surround, but my motherboard supports it.  It's getting harder to find ones that do

That is very strange. Two thoughts, the receiver itself is plugged into an HDMI 2.0 port on the TV, presumably the ARC (Audio Return Channel) one? Also if you are using the TV, why not just use the integrated Netflix player, with the audio return channel handling audio?