Which would be better all for college?

3 minutes ago, Azriel said:

Would the New Microsoft Surface Pro or the Acer Aspire E 15 be a better fit for a freshman in college? I am trying to get the best bang for my buck in terms of cost and efficiency. If it helps at all my major will be engineering. 

Being a college student myself I really like my laptop, but on the other hand having something small is really nice. 

I'd say laptop

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You'll find being able to physically write notes on a toughscreen super useful, especially in eng.

Girlfriend (in eng) uses a spectre x360 and its been a godsend for her.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Being a college student myself I really like my laptop, but on the other hand having something small is really nice. 

I'd say laptop

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You'll find being able to physically write notes on a toughscreen super useful, especially in eng.

Girlfriend (in eng) uses a spectre x360 and its been a godsend for her.

Thank you both for your insight!

i built a Mini ITX for college and i loved it

cant take it to class tho.............

Just now, Derrk said:

i built a Mini ITX for college and i loved it

cant take it to class tho.............

Well, too bad I need a laptop. It'd be great if a mITX was transportable lol!

Just now, Azriel said:

Well, too bad I need a laptop. It'd be great if a mITX was transportable lol!

it was pretty easy to transport. I built it mostly because i could fit in a carry-on bag for the plane.

For class, i bought the cheapest laptop i could find that had an i7 and just swapped the hdd with an ssd

5 minutes ago, Derrk said:

it was pretty easy to transport. I built it mostly because i could fit in a carry-on bag for the plane.

For class, i bought the cheapest laptop i could find that had an i7 and just swapped the hdd with an ssd

Can I know what pc case you are using? 

Thinking of building a small pc to carry easily.

33 minutes ago, Azriel said:

Would the New Microsoft Surface Pro or the Acer Aspire E 15 be a better fit for a freshman in college? I am trying to get the best bang for my buck in terms of cost and efficiency. If it helps at all my major will be engineering. 

When i was an engineering student I would have preferred the larger screen.  I'd say go with the laptop.

As for writing surface: you will need to take lots of notes. If you're comfortable with doing that on the the tablet, then OK.  However, most profs I knew had an open notes policy for tests and did not allow laptops.  So, you might want to find out if note taking on the tablet will burn you later before making the purchase.

2 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Can I know what pc case you are using? 

Thinking of building a small pc to carry easily.

i used the rvz01 by silverstone. Its collecting dust right now since i've upgraded. Been too lazy/busy to reinstall the mobo and try and sell it. Silverstones made newer iterations of the case since i got mine but this was the first mITX case i ever saw that could house a full length gpu

18 hours ago, Azriel said:

best bang for my buck

Swift 3 (try to get the new models: SF314-54G or SF315-52G)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128