Discussion about Voski (Arrested Denuvo cracker)

AngryBeaver

So I know a lot of people already know this, but one of the big crackers for Denuvo was raided and arrested in the past few weeks. Apparently he has tried to work out a deal, but Denuvo just want him prosecuted and serving jail time.

So here is my take. If there is only a small amount of people able to actually crack Denuvo and this guy is one of the only ones they have managed to catch. Why in the hell prosecute him. If they were smart they would be offering him a job. I feel like this would be an oppertunity for Denuvo to cut this guy a break, while also using his skills to make their game protection measures more rock solid. They could just have him do his thing on new versions and then patch those holes before released. As it stands they release new versions to go with new big AAA titles... then a few days or weeks later BOOM. Cracked. Which in the end cost the game producers money in sales.

I guess I just feel bad that instead of tapping a resource to better their product, they are instead more focused on making him suffer. Which in the end just means someone else will step up to take his place. So in the end they don't gain anything. Putting him on the payroll though.... that helps better their product.

21 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So here is my take. If there is only a small amount of people able to actually crack Denuvo and this guy is one of the only ones they have managed to catch. Why in the hell prosecute him.

Big Wigs are usually not very smart, they just think it'll serve as a deterrent and magically stop all the people cracking their stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

So, why would they potentially choose no to work with him... 

- They might want him as an example for what can happen to you if you mess with them.

- They don't want to give him access to the source code and or facilities, given that he worked against them in the past. 

- Or he just doesn't have that much to contribute / offer to them. 

11 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

So I know a lot of people already know this, but one of the big crackers for Denuvo was raided and arrested in the past few weeks. Apparently he has tried to work out a deal, but Denuvo just want him prosecuted and serving jail time.

So here is my take. If there is only a small amount of people able to actually crack Denuvo and this guy is one of the only ones they have managed to catch. Why in the hell prosecute him. If they were smart they would be offering him a job. I feel like this would be an oppertunity for Denuvo to cut this guy a break, while also using his skills to make their game protection measures more rock solid. They could just have him do his thing on new versions and then patch those holes before released. As it stands they release new versions to go with new big AAA titles... then a few days or weeks later BOOM. Cracked. Which in the end cost the game producers money in sales.

>This guy is famous for illegally breaching our software copyright protection systems and publishing that information publicly to aid and encourage illegal activities such as piracy, and as a result does serious harm to our business and the gaming industry as a whole.
>Let's give him a job, and in doing so give him access to our secure development facility, access to pre-release software, and provide him details about our products security vulnerabilities.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, FRSHPRNCFBLR said:

So, why would they potentially choose no to work with him... 

- They might want him as an example for what can happen to you if you mess with them.

- They don't want to give him access to the source code and or facilities, given that he worked against them in the past. 

- Or he just doesn't have that much to contribute / offer to them. 

Make an example? Do you know how many of these groups are discouraged by that? 0. The problem is even if they get him 20+ years in jail another one will pop up to take his place. So the cycle will continue until they change their current tactic.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

>This guy is famous for illegally breaching our software copyright protection systems and publishing that information publicly to aid and encourage illegal activities such as piracy, and as a result does serious harm to our business and the gaming industry as a whole.
>Let's give him a job, and in doing so give him access to our secure development facility, access to pre-release software, and provide him details about our products security vulnerabilities.

They don't need to actually do any of that really. All they need to do is hire him in as a sort of pentesters or sorts. He will be basically doing what he does now, the only difference would be this happens PRE-Release and they will get a detailed list of steps he took to bypass their system. They can have a positive gain from this without exposing their source-code to him. Now if they want him to do more inside the code to make it harder to bypass... then yes, but that isn't necessarily my suggestion.

Right now they are releasing new builds of Denuvo that is being cracked in quick order. They now have something on one of the big offenders. They can choose to make an example for him, which in the end only hurts him and does nothing to stop new crackers or even the other ones currently out there. Then they can take a different approach. Put him on the payroll, compensate him WELL for what he does. Let him do his magic on pre-release Denuvo and then patch the vulnerabilities he finds for bypassing it. Does it mean it will make it 100% uncrackable. NO. It does mean that the more obvious methods will be patched up prior to release though. It makes their product more valuable. The purpose to Denuvo was originally to stop digital piracy in games, but now it has become more of a way to hopefully keep your game free from piracy while your release sales are high.

The problem is these crackers are breaking Denuvo before the release rush ends... which costs the companies they are working for money. So while no solution will be perfect, it does mean they can hopefully extend the crack time out a few weeks or months (potentially longer) which gives their product more value.

blame Idreto, the guys that bought Denuvo in January. Volski was always very outspoken and public about it, he had a forum, he even released a tutorial video on youtube on how to crack Denuvo and they did nothing. It all changed with Idreto.

Also they didn't "manage to catch him", he basically was very public about the all thing unlike most hackers. I guess both Idreto (a digital security firm) and Denuvo probably already have more then enough man power and expertises, they just want to make an example out of him, and he was just not very smart by being so public. There is a reason all other hackers hide their work and identities.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

blame Idreto, the guys that bought Denuvo in January. Volski was always very outspoken and public about it, he had a forum, he even released a tutorial video on youtube on how to crack Denuvo and they did nothing. It all changed with Idreto.

Also they didn't "manage to catch him", he basically was very public about the all thing unlike most hackers. I guess both Idreto (a digital security firm) and Denuvo probably already have more then enough man power and expertises, they just want to make an example out of him, and he was just not very smart by being so public. There is a reason all other hackers hide their work and identities.

If they "already have enough man power and expertise" then why are they still having games with Denuvo cracked at break neck speeds. I mean I fully expect to see one of the other scene groups crack Monster Hunter World in the next few days. 

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If they "already have enough man power and expertise" then why are they still having games with Denuvo cracked at break neck speeds. I mean I fully expect to see one of the other scene groups crack Monster Hunter World in the next few days. 

you cut my "probably..." lol

it's a cat and mouse thing, one releases a software that is never perfect or uncrackable and then the other guys go for the crack. You can't do uncrackable, that doesn't exist, and you can't know what the other guys will crack. Then you patch and it starts all over again.

They had a big period when all their games were basically unchallenged, after Just Cause 3, then someone cracked it and they had to start work again on a new version. Up to AC:O basically all games were cracked in days or weeks.

We had periods between cracks before, AC:O took a couple of months and besides it's summer, vacation and all. You will have to wait some longer to start calling the end of hackers, and volski was not the only one cracking Denuvo, CPY, Baldman at least all did their own hacks.