1.8tb written on 850pro

MaccaB

So I bought a used 850 pro 512gb from ebay for 65 bucks and I installed Samsung Magician and it told me that I have 1.8tb written. Does it mean that it was used a lot and whats the TBW of this drive

if you have the Samsung 850 Pro with sata connection the total "warrantied" data writing is 300TB

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Just now, FastRDust said:

if you have the Samsung 850 Pro with sata connection the total "warrantied" data writing is 300TB

Should I be worried ?

3 minutes ago, MaccaB said:

So I bought a used 850 pro 512gb from ebay for 65 bucks and I installed Samsung Magician and it told me that I have 1.8tb written. Does it mean that it was used a lot and whats the TBW of this drive

Well depending on how long the previous owner had it for is how heavily it was used. Though it is still in the early stages of its life. The following article gives you an idea of ssd TBW before failure.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/2

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

no, that means you have 298.2TB left to write on this drive.

that should be enough for a while :P

Just now, MaccaB said:

Should I be worried ?

Not really 

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, FastRDust said:

no, that means you have 298.2TB left to write on this drive.

that should be enough for a while :P

Thank you a lot

1 minute ago, astrosheen said:

Not really 

Thanks a lot dude 

1.8TB is nothing :/

512GBx3.515625=1.8TB

So your drive was fully overwritten only 3.5x

Just now, MaccaB said:

Thank you a lot

btw that is the guaranteed amount, you may even get i bit more out of it but then a backup is a good idea.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

1.8TB is nothing :/

512GBx3.515625=1.8TB

So your drive was fully overwritten only 3.5x

Whats the limit then?

2 minutes ago, MaccaB said:

Whats the limit then?

300.000gb /512gb = 585.9375 times you can totally write the disk full

Unless your using it as a nas drive for the coming 10 years and formatting it every month, your not going to hit that limit soon

7 minutes ago, MaccaB said:

Whats the limit then?

At the very least at least 100 full rewrites even with one of the worst TLC SSDs but likely at least 500+ with this drive.

You will have around 298TB of writes still available on the drive.

hi.

2 TB really is not much. i Have one 850 Evo 250 at 53 TB Written, a 850 500 GB model at 27 TB written, and another 500 Gb model at around the same. You will not notice anything bad until 300, and even then its just a slight slowdown. Tests have shown these can get into the Petabytes before failure.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:58 PM, Shimejii said:

2 TB really is not much. i Have one 850 Evo 250 at 53 TB Written, a 850 500 GB model at 27 TB written, and another 500 Gb model at around the same. You will not notice anything bad until 300, and even then its just a slight slowdown. Tests have shown these can get into the Petabytes before failure.

whats the formula to check avg write in a day ex; 24GB writes a day

49 minutes ago, MaccaB said:

whats the formula to check avg write in a day ex; 24GB writes a day

It depends on your usage, we can't say how you are using it.

It could be 48GB a day but when you download for example GTA5 on it it is 90gb for the game.

2 hours ago, FastRDust said:

It depends on your usage, we can't say how you are using it.

It could be 48GB a day but when you download for example GTA5 on it it is 90gb for the game.

I would like to know my usage 

15 hours ago, MaccaB said:

I would like to know my usage 

we cannot tell you your usage because we don't know how you are going to use it.

On 14.8.2018 at 12:15 PM, MaccaB said:

So I bought a used 850 pro 512gb from ebay for 65 bucks and I installed Samsung Magician and it told me that I have 1.8tb written.

No, because it is in fact very little. My SSD has 18 TB written and that is not even much