Calcaulating Wattage

Brick1026
Go to solution Solved by Gedgn,
11 hours ago, Brick1026 said:

When calculating the total wattage of a computer build do you just add the wattages of each individual component?

I'd advise you not listen to your best chosen answer. To give you a rough outlook what you do is add the cpu and gpu wattage then add an additional 100W. That is by no accurate as there are many factors to consider, just know 450-550W PSU is the max any normal user would need, even OC'ers. You see people getting 650W- 1000W PSUs because they don't know what they're doing.

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

for a better estimate for your guesswork. has various 80Plus rating PSU suggestions as well

PS: when you see TDP and a Watt number, that's not power draw. don't use that number for power draw.

Don't link outervision it's trash and should be banned as it gives users the wrong impression. 

When calculating the total wattage of a computer build do you just add the wattages of each individual component?

Pretty much, but add some leeway too. So if it's 700 watts total, I'd personally get like a 900-1000 watt psu just so the power supply isn't struggling to power your system. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

Pretty much, but add some leeway too. So if it's 700 watts total, I'd personally get like a 900-1000 watt psu just so the power supply isn't struggling to power your system. 

Ok thanks I was not sure if it was that simple but its nice to know it is!

Pretty much that, as a simplification. You'll want to have a power supply that can provide at least that amount of power to the components.

A power supply is most efficient when your components load the power supply up to around 60-80% of its maximum power. If your power supply produces less than around 40% of its rating, or it has to produce more than around 80% of its maximum rating, then its efficiency decreases.

For example, if your computer components use only around 200 watts, then you could use any power supply, from let's say 400w to 850w ... but a 450w model may be more efficient compared to let's say a 650w model, because its output will be at around the 50-60% load level. The 650w model may be less efficient, but being oversized, it would probably also produce less heat, so the fan it comes with may not even spin, so that 650w model may be more silent.  So you see there's tradeoffs

Also remember, components in a computer use 3 voltages: 12v , 5v and 3.3v. Most components these days use 12v quite a lot, but very little on 3.3v and 5v.  So it's important that the power supply can actually give that amount of power on 12v, not on all three voltages combined.

For example, a power supply may output 400w on 12v and 150w on 3.3v and 5v, so it can be labeled as a 550w power supply. BUT, if your components actually need 350-400w from 12v, this power supply would be borderline, for brief moments the components may take more than 400w and the power supply could shut down to protect itself and your components.

Also, keep in mind that components don't use the peak power all the time. For example, a video card may use up to 160 watts for example, but in a game like Fortnite which doesn't have super fancy graphics or high fps, the video card may only use 100w.

Also, the CPU may use 100w when it's at 100% load for long periods of time, but when you're gaming the CPU won't stay at 100% all the time, the load will fluctuate.

So when you're gaming, your power consumption won't be 100w (cpu) + 160w (video card) all the time

Also, when you add some components like let's say a DVD writer, you would have to use 10w for example, because that could be the power draw when the unit actually burns discs, spinning them at high speed and using the built in laser to burn the discs, but when the dvd drive idles or just reads discs, the power demand could be less than 1-2 watts.

11 hours ago, aki adaki said:

You probably don't even have to,  most power supplies set their OPP 20% above rated wattage. And if you are EVGA a dangerous 40%.

11 hours ago, Brick1026 said:

I'd advise you not listen to your best chosen answer. To give you a rough outlook what you do is add the cpu and gpu wattage then add an additional 100W. That is by no accurate as there are many factors to consider, just know 450-550W PSU is the max any normal user would need, even OC'ers. You see people getting 650W- 1000W PSUs because they don't know what they're doing.

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

for a better estimate for your guesswork. has various 80Plus rating PSU suggestions as well

PS: when you see TDP and a Watt number, that's not power draw. don't use that number for power draw.

Don't link outervision it's trash and should be banned as it gives users the wrong impression. 

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

1 hour ago, Gedgn said:

*ahem* people with 1000k+ watt power supplies normally have more than one over clocked gpu. My answer I stated earlier was an answer I used on my comptia secondary school class, and was correct on every test I took. 

Hard drives take watts too, including USB devices and other devices in the system. Any additional sound cards, or anything. Adding 100 watts will just cover the motherboard and maybe a hard drive your answer was very inaccurate tbh. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

5 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

*ahem* people with 1000k+ watt power supplies normally have more than one over clocked gpu. My answer I stated earlier was an answer I used on my comptia secondary school class, and was correct on every test I took. 

Hard drives take watts too, including USB devices and other devices in the system. Any additional sound cards, or anything. Adding 100 watts will just cover the motherboard and maybe a hard drive your answer was very inaccurate tbh. 

People with ≥1000W PSUs, more often than not, have no clue, or they're miners. (I'm assuming you mean either 1kW or 1000W, and not >10^6W). A dual GPU gaming PC with overclocks will draw maybe 750W, more likely less. 

And ah, yes, a motherboard and HDD consumes 100W. Presumably all to heat. Totally. You can see all of the cooling they have in order to dissipate the heat. Right... 

How much power do you reckon a 7820X with a 1080 Ti will draw from the wall using a platinum efficiency PSU during BF1?

Spoiler

90110.png

130W more than the GPU's TDP. Remove 8% for the PSU, and you have about 100W more than the GPU. Keep in mind that's for the entire system. Meaning the GPU+CPU+100W is overkill. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

USB devices draw well under 1A each, and a sound card doesn't have to drive any significant amount of power. The NF-F12 has a peak draw of 0,05A or 0,6W, so 10 of those will draw 6W peak. 

:)

44 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

lol comptia.. most of it outdated crap they still want you to answer on tests.

Back on topic, you listed 700W as a total which is uncommon among normal users even power users with only one gpu. Don't know how you're calculating 700W max draw (not including disk/ usb, board), but you do not need a 1000W psu. I don't know where you're getting "1000k+ watt power supplies normally have more than one over clocked gpu" from.

Hard drives typically use 6W when reading/writing and 0.8 idle/sleep. Meaning you need 10 HDDs to use up 60 watts and be at load all at the same time.. I've had a 10x4TB drives, an i3, 8GB of RAM, an SSD, and 6 case fans and my server only consumes 78W at idle at the wall as measured with a kill-a-watt device, 105W at load.

Not sure how you're reading is, but I said a rough overall look at power estimation. In any case you need to stop giving people bad advice. Nothing you have said made any sense.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

17 hours ago, Gedgn said:

lol comptia.. most of it outdated crap they still want you to answer on tests.

Back on topic, you listed 750W as a total which is uncommon among normal users even power users with only one gpu. If it's 750W max draw you do not need a 1000W psu.. that doesn't even logically make any sense.

Hard drives typically use 6W when reading/writing and 0.8 idle/sleep, volts x amps is accurate here. Meaning you need 10 HDDs to use up 60 watts and be at load all at the same time.. I've had a 10x4TB drives, an i3, 8GB of RAM, an SSD, and 6 case fans and my server only consumes 78W at idle at the wall as measured with a kill-a-watt device, 105W at load.

Not sure how you're reading is, but I said a rough overall look at power estimation. In any case you need to stop giving people bad advice.

It was just for a reference. The op didn't state what the system would be, so you cannot assume it's this or that. It was supposed to be a general rule of thumb, to add some leeway. 

<removed>

Edited by SansVarnic

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

15 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

If you half the estimate they give you you'll be closer to the actual amount required

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 hours ago, Brick1026 said:

Yes, you add Graphics card and CPU TDP, the rest doesn't matter much or is in the 5-10W Area, so negligable.

Or you use PSU Calculator in easy mode, where you have exactly 2 Drop Down menus. Be quiet has something like that...

As soon as you input memory or harddrives, the result is just utter garbage and overestimated by 50% or more...

17 hours ago, aki adaki said:

I wouldn't because you'd overestimate what components really use by a mile or 10.

So let me ask this question:

A Ryzen 7/1700x

ASUS X370-F Strix

2x8 GiB DDR4-2400 Memory (well, I'm happy about the Capacity...)

2x Radeon 7970GHz/280x

With Prime and Heaven Benchmark

Does it work with a 550W or not?

Does it stay inside the 550W Margin or go over?

16 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Urgh, not again with that thing.

You know that Outervision works with some PSU companys and thus has a financial interest in overestimating?

Try i7-3930K (non OC) and a Radeon RX480 OC (1330MHz Core, 2000MHz Memory).

If you get something over 450W, its bullcrap.

Because in real world conditions (Prime + Heaven) we are talking about ~350W Secondary or something like that...

And I know that Outervision will recomend something like a rather crappy, system integrator level 700W Bronze PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I don't o_o when was this?

Since the beginning.

They started with Enermax and more companys used that thing.

And some other Companys, like be quiet, do their own Power Supply Calculator thingy....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I thought I had my best answer but now I think I have sparked a debate xD.

@Brick1026 when calculating the power needs of your system to decide on the type of PSU you will need is quite simple.

As @aki adaki and @Stefan Payne both have pointed out and to add my bit; Add up all the nominal and peak usage of each major component and then add around 50-100 watts for your other components. When you have that choose the PSU that your Idle and Peak usage fit in the power curve of the psu that interests you. The key is to the find a PSU with both good efficiency and a good power curve, ideally you want to hit that 40/50% - 60/70% for best performance 40/50 being nominal and 60/70 being your max load. This way your not buying an over powered or under powered PSU. @Gedgn makes good points as well on pointing out usage and what to look for.

The following is found in the Cases and Power Supplies Sub-Forum;

I suggest you review this topic as it relates to this conversation; [its a long thread but the information is updated semi-regularly]

and this video [bit old but still very relevant];

This one is also a good resouurce;

and last but not least;

As @Gedgn mentioned about those that buy 1k PSU is not necessarily true, more than half those bought normally go to miners and multi-gpu systems, the other half can broken down to Water cooling, Multi-cpu systems, server style, systems with multiple HDD's and etc... and then those random ones that are purchased just like anything else are those that buy big because they can or because they dont know better (of which is a much smaller percentage than he lets on).

Now I am not saying you need a 1k watt PSU (take a look at my system stats HERE) as you most likely wont need it but just take into consideration what you need for a build vs what it is you want and most importantly what your system will need to both function normally and under load. 1k watt systems are no longer a common thing any more, I had a 900watt system a number of years ago but that was before systems became as efficient as they are now and they will continue to be come more efficient and more power hungry (depending on use case) as time goes on.

Hope that helps. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER