Ability to prevent automatic resolving of character codes to emojis

Fetzie

As a somewhat frequent user of the linux sub-forum, I would like to suggest the addition of a "do not resolve emojis for this post" button or checkbox, or an in-line code format to prevent the automatic resolving of character sequences such as the vi command " : x " which turns into :x if you leave out the space between the colon and the x.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What about just in general. Might want to have it in user settings.  

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

That would make sense, or at least some way to revert the conversion. I'll pass it on to the forum software devs (as it's not something that I can control), but the chances of them actually following up on it are unfortunately slim.

HTTP/2 203

Actually, there will be some changes in this regard after the next update, so once that launches in the next month or so, please see whether it's better. You can also try the changes now at https://beta.linustechtips.com

HTTP/2 203

It's totally possible to do, although it's not anywhere near ideal.

You can just put a bracket at the end of the "non-emoticon" and remove it; just make sure not to press "space" right afterwards.

From my experience, it works:

:D

EDIT: Wow, I'm an idiot. I never thought about it being "processed" again, as soon as it's posted. Sorry for wasting your time, I did actually think this worked(as stupid as this sounds), as I never intentionally sent a "non-emoticon"... :/

EDIT II: Hold on a second; it seems to work if you just put an underscore where the "blank spot" would otherwise be and just delete that after putting in the letter, number, et cetera... :o 

See?: :D

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Actually, there will be some changes in this regard after the next update, so once that launches in the next month or so, please see whether it's better. You can also try the changes now at https://beta.linustechtips.com

I assume this version is already implemented if not already replaced by an even newer version but I can't seem to find a way to be old skool about my emoticons and type ':)' without getting :) all the time. Am I just ignorant to the button that turns this off or isn't there any? In case there is none, can this be implemented in some way shape or form so that it doesn't take weird tricks to get text instead of pictures?

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }

The Beta is down as of 1125 EST. I do hope the emoji thing is solved, though. I hate the LTT emoji set, personally.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Spoiler

// ==UserScript==
// @name         rip ltt emoji's
// @version      0.1
// @description  switch emoji's with txt
// @author       Lars
// @match        https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/*
// ==/UserScript==

var all = ["o.O", "xD", ":|", ":o", ":ph34r:", "9_9", ":(", "-_-", ":)", ":P", ":/", ":S", ";)", ":x", ">:(", ":D", "O.o", ":$", "B|", ":dry:", "^_^"];
var main = ["xD", ":|", ":o", ":(", "-_-", ":)", ":P", ":/", ":S", ";)", ":x", ">:(", ":D", "O.o", ":$", "^_^"];

$(document).ready(function() {
    var emoticons = all; //edit all to main if you'd like only the emoji's replaced that are common in text form or feel free to edit the variables above to remove the emoticons you'd still like to see the emoji form of.
    for (var i = 0; i < emoticons.length; i++) {
        $('img[alt="' + emoticons[i] + '"]').replaceWith(emoticons[i]);
    }
    });

Well, all I can say is that I like playing around a bit with javascript as well as solving my own problems, feel free to use the script via tampermonkey or any such add-on to use userscripts ;) Only verified it working via chrome and tampermonkey so no guarantees on other browsers/extensions. BTW what the script does is it replaces all pictures that create the emoticons with the literal text they initially replaced...

edit: interestingly enough some of the emoji's are images with the "alt" set to the text form and some are with the emoji keyboard equivalent in the "alt" this makes the script not work sometimes

Edited by Kleine IJsbeer
while (alive == true) { breathe(); }