EU Competition Commisioner wants to force Apple and others to switch to USB-C industry standard for charging phones

AlTech
1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

He literally said he didn't say literally. So you're literally arguing against a straw man. Literally.

I did read that wrong, whoops. Sorry 'bout that

Having said that he still reasserts that due to an investment in the ecosystem people don't have as much choice as they would have otherwise, which I still disagree with. I edited it above

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I doubt the EU is smart enough to realize that cables have two connectors on either end. 

If they mandate that the iPhone use USB-C, just put that on the wall end and get off on a technicality. 

10/10 strat. 

Actually they could require it on phones not needed on both ends, whats at the other end means nothing, what it matters is the phone usb connector, then i can use any charger with any phone again(almost any)

My god!  it was all explained on the first page, does no one read anymore?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

My god!  it was all explained on the first page, does no one read anymore?

We can't read.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Wasn't there already a requirement in the EU for Apple to switch to Micro USB?  To get around it Apple included a Lightning to Micro USB adapter in the box with each new phone.  I wanted an adapter to charge my phone at work using the Micro USB cable I already had at my desk for charging my keyboard.  At the time the only way to get the adapter was to import it from Europe (thanks eBay!).

This was from 2012:

The EC states that every phone now released in Europe must be chargeable via Micro USB — that’s why Apple released the 30-pin to Micro USB adapter for the iPhone 4S last year. Fortunately for the Cupertino company, that doesn’t mean that its devices must have a Micro USB port built-in, so it can still employ its own proprietary connector. But it does mean the company needs to provide an adapter — for which it charges £15/€19.

The adapter isn’t available in the U.S. Apple store, which will be disappointing to those of you who already own a stack of Micro USB cables, but I’m sure you’ll find them on eBay and other online stores in the coming weeks.

https://www.cultofmac.com/190456/apple-now-selling-lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter-for-europe/