OC Capabilities question

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to search information on the internet and I kinda was unable to research enough so I need your help. I was looking to overclock RAM & CPU and I'm worried about my VRM's.

The situation is the following :

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350m HD3 (Not many details on this one, but I think it has a 4 power something ?)

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 

RAM: Crucial DDR4 2400Mhz UDIMM

GPU : GTX 1080 Windforce 

I'm having slight bottleneck on the GPU from my CPU cuz only 3.4 Ghz. Please don't ask how I got this 'unbalanced' system, long story.

I'm not able to change anything in the system, so either tell me if I should OC and how, or if I shouldn't do it at all.

Temperatures shouldn't be the problem, I'm using AIO on the CPU, and my CPU temps are MAX 40 degrees C while gaming (which I kinda only do other than programming). VRM temperatures right now with stock speeds are arround 50ish degrees C under load while gaming.

Should I even try to OC with this motherboard? Or completely pass it until I can afford a better Motherboard?

Thank you all in advance.

you can try a bit but I would not push anny voltage much since this VRM looks pretty cheap and has no cooling on it :o

try selling your 1600 and get some R7 1xxx will be the same price compared to upgrading the mobo and then OC but faster

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Where I live, r5 1600 is 244$ and r7 1700 410$ so....yeah.

How about trying to overclock on stock voltage ? What is even stock voltage for my CPU, where can I check that? Is it 1.2V - 1.25V ? 

1 minute ago, Cianthy said:

Where I live, r5 1600 is 244$ and r7 1700 410$ so....yeah.

How about trying to overclock on stock voltage ? What is even stock voltage for my CPU, where can I check that? Is it 1.2V - 1.25V ? 

You can set your BIOS to not change the voltage. BNut with Ryzen there is little to no possibilities to OC on stock V.

I tried auto voltage few days ago, made my CPU go to 3.8Ghz and I was stoked to see that my voltage was only 1.236V at most after 2hours of various CPU tests. Maybe that wouldn't be bad if I put 1.25V at manual voltage (not auto) and try to get 3.8Ghz with that and put like a fan to blow into VRM ? 

I want the long-story because nothing tells me you've bottle-necked.

Any proof evidence on such?

What makes me thing that I'm bottlenecking is that I'm mostly playing Fortnite. Streamer settings at 1080p (streamer settings are like optimized best performance settings) i'm getting 40-50% GPU usage and 30-40% CPU usage.

I cant reach steady 144FPS - it goes to 170 then 130 then 120 then 150 etc (If I could I wouldn't even be looking to OC, but soon I'm getting a 144Hz display so...I want 144 fps all the time).

I'm guessing from low GPU usage, its a CPU bottleneck, isn't it ?

I only have one RAM stick, when I get another I'd probably get few more fps because of Ryzen arhitecture using dual channel better, but i have to pay 120$ for Crucial 8gb ddr4 2400Mhz stick...sucks

@Cianthy Pls quote us so we get a notification to come back @kittygamer2023 @Tyler Moore

Use CPU stock settings only, this mobo is dodgy. No heatsink (or even a flat piece of metal to spread the heat) to help cooling the VRMs, which are low end and not all that efficient when supplying currents this 6 core CPU will pull at stock. This leads to high (but still safe) operating temperatures at stock, when overclocked it will cook itself very quickly. Worse still, crap boards like this often do not have overheating protection, which means the VRMs will just run themselves to the ground if you push them hard.

Adding another stick of RAM for dual channel will help though. If you dont have the budget for a new motherboard, at least get another stick of RAM.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

@Jurrunio

Could it be that the Motherboard itself is keeping my CPU from its full potential ? 

8 minutes ago, Cianthy said:

What makes me thing that I'm bottlenecking is that I'm mostly playing Fortnite. Streamer settings at 1080p (streamer settings are like optimized best performance settings) i'm getting 40-50% GPU usage and 30-40% CPU usage.

I cant reach steady 144FPS - it goes to 170 then 130 then 120 then 150 etc (If I could I wouldn't even be looking to OC, but soon I'm getting a 144Hz display so...I want 144 fps all the time).

I'm guessing from low GPU usage, its a CPU bottleneck, isn't it ?

I only have one RAM stick, when I get another I'd probably get few more fps because of Ryzen arhitecture using dual channel better, but i have to pay 120$ for Crucial 8gb ddr4 2400Mhz stick...sucks

that there is probably your problem, having less ram bandwidth means that the minimum frame rates suffer quite a bit but the average doesn't change much, you could try to overclock the ram a bit might help

Just now, Cianthy said:

@Jurrunio

Could it be that the Motherboard itself is keeping my CPU from its full potential ? 

no. they are desinged to run those CPUs at full power. But OC is to much

Try some stress-testing, see if such is still the case. Games are poorly optimized this day, I know I don't run Fortnite maxed out, I turn lots down to off like post-processing/etc to give me a cleaner FPS.

@cj09beira 

Does RAM OC have anything to do with VRM ? What about I try doing that ? This ram is stock at 1.2V, what would be safe voltage to go with this kind of Motherboard ?

Other games are pretty much fine like AAA titles, as long as my GPU goes to 95%ish its not a CPU bottleneck and I'm totally satisfied.

I'll probably see what I can do about RAM.

1.2 lol; you'll destroy the ram going higher. I think highest I've seen someone push was 1.7 and that was iffy.

Just now, Cianthy said:

@cj09beira 

Does RAM OC have anything to do with VRM ? What about I try doing that ? This ram is stock at 1.2V, what would be safe voltage to go with this kind of Motherboard ?

Yes dram has its own VRM and those are particually crap on cheap Mobos

Just now, Cianthy said:

@cj09beira 

ram doesnt use much power at all so you should be fine on that part, dram voltage, probably 1.4v is a good place to stay at, if you need a good tuturial, look for it on this forum there is a good one out there

Yeah based on that last message @Cianthy; you are experiencing what most would experience which is bottleneck in the game performance, AKA devs hadn't optimized fully and so running MAX settings is not a thing especially streaming.

4 minutes ago, Cianthy said:

@Jurrunio

unlikely. I dont think this cheap mobo has any VRM temperature sensors, which means it doesnt throttle because of itself. As long as CPU doesnt overheat, it will go full blast if needed.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yes dram has its own VRM and those are particually crap on cheap Mobos

not like expensive boards necessarily use better VRMs for RAM anyway

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Cianthy said:

@Tyler Moore

I dont understand, 1.2V at stock is bad ? Or am I missing something ?

@Metallus97

So OC-ing my RAM is a no no too ?

No, stock at 1.2V is safe, going past it can potentially damage the unit.

2 minutes ago, Cianthy said:

@Tyler Moore

I dont understand, 1.2V at stock is bad ? Or am I missing something ?

@Metallus97

So OC-ing my RAM is a no no too ?

NO @Tyler Moore I run my ram OCed on 1,65V but with a propper MOBO ;)

But: OC-ing is a no go on this board. not becasue of the ram but because the Ram VRM on the mobo

Allso: OCing the ram does not bring a huge benefit Dual cahnnel and 16GB ram is much more important

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

not like expensive boards necessarily use better VRMs for RAM anyway

correct. But annyway his is shit

So ye I guess I'll just have to add one more same ram stick and hope that dual channel stabilises FPS enough to use 144Hz monitor comfortably.

Thank you all so much for the help, I really appriciate it :)