Would This Drive Work Well For A PC

Boomwebsearch

I have a computer which has a failed hard drive that when powered on clicks a few times and then powers down which causes the computer to not be able to boot to its operating system. I do not really need much storage at all for anything on that machine because it will not be used for data storage or to work with video files. I began looking on the internet for a hard drive and I stumbled one that happens to be 73GB and it is rated as a "server" hard drive. The form factor is 2.5 inches which I do plan on getting a 2.5 inch to 3.5-inch drive adapter. The seller for this product states that it is a server hard drive and not for laptops and desktops which made me wonder why that was and if I would be able to run this in my desktop machine without any issues. Would this work well in this computer system or is there a reason why it is being advertised as a server hard drives and not for use in PCs like laptops and desktops?

link to this hard drive on eBay:         https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Branded-2-5-72GB-10K-RPM-SAS-Server-Hard-Drive-Assorted-Models/202165236242?hash=item2f11fcb212%3Ag%3AJ-wAAOSwkbdbRTR-&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=Server+Hard+Drive&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

The only difference that I'm aware of between server drives and consumer drives is that server drives are designed to run 24/7, consumer drives aren't.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

nope SAS ist not sata compatible 

but it looks like a sata connector :o 

Edited by Metallus97

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

nope SAS ist not sata compatible 

Would an adapter such as this one be able to make this drive work with my desktop system? I realize that there are not going to be many adapters needed such as a 2.5 to a 3.5-inch adapter and potentially a SAS to SATA adapter although I am still wondering if with the adapter(s) would it be possible to run?

link to a SAS to SATA converter which I am wondering if or if not it would work for this purpose:   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-7M-SFF-8482-to-SAS-29P-SATA-Adapter-Hard-Drive-Splitter-Data-Cable-Braw/263506609822?epid=9013134198&hash=item3d5a37c69e%3Ag%3AQ2MAAOSwucFaith5&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=sas+to+sata&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc

@Boomwebsearch 

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The only difference that I'm aware of between server drives and consumer drives is that server drives are designed to run 24/7, consumer drives aren't.

SAS drives are not compatible with SATA controllers, so beware of "server" drives with a SAS port on it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

so beware of "server" drives with a SAS port on it.

11 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

but it looks like a sata connector :o 

Edited 9 minutes ago by Metallus97

Based on this particular hard drive, would it be a SAS or SATA drive? Would the only way in order to find out be to contact the seller and ask about it?

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Based on this particular hard drive, would it be a SAS or SATA drive? Would the only way in order to find out be to contact the seller and ask about it?

i own a few SAS drive's and since it's 10K rpm and is listed as a SAS drive it's highly likely that it is one. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

i looked it up (i am no server pro so...)

SAS and sata are physically the same but the controllers can’t talk to each other 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

i looked it up (i am no server pro so...)

SAS and sata are physically the same but the controllers can’t talk to each other 

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i own a few SAS drive's and since it's 10K rpm and is listed as a SAS drive it's highly likely that it is one. 

So would that mean that this drive will not work with a desktop or laptop computer which does not have a SAS controller? And would it be only the SAS controller that would make this not be able to work in a PC or are there other reasons for it not being able to work with a PC?

@Boomwebsearch 

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

So would that mean that this drive will not work with a desktop or laptop computer which does not have a SAS controller?

correct. 

She/Her