1060 Founders Edition overheating

I notice in game my 1060 FE gets around 85C. Which probably explains why im getting bad fps spikes so frequently. I played Dishonored 2 on my laptop (with 1060 6GB) for 2 hours with no issue, at a constant 60FPS on High settings. I tried on my desktop and got 45-55FPS on medium. I can't find any other methods of cooling this thing and was wondering if someone else here knew about something.

i ahd a thermal throttling issue as well and my cpu was being used at 70+ percent all the time so  i reinstalled windows and now it works fine

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Who is mentioning 70C?

it said 70*C he corrected it or I was high

7 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

FE

Found the problem

But why would you replace a 1060 with a 1060? Just put an AIO on it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Samppbo said:

i ahd a thermal throttling issue as well and my cpu was being used at 70+ percent all the time so  i reinstalled windows and now it works fine

Don't listen to him, don't reinstall windows.

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

it said 70*C he corrected it or I was high

Yeah I put 70 because thats at idle. I meant to put the temp when its running Dishonored 2 (85)

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Don't listen to him, don't reinstall windows.

Yeah I realize that. My computer has enough issues installing OSes as it is

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Found the problem

But why would you replace a 1060 with a 1060? Just put an AIO on it

There is no water cooling block for a 1060FE. Ive looked

2 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

There is no water cooling block for a 1060FE. Ive looked

The standard nvidia kits work for any reference boards

The EK Fluid Gaming Kit should also work fine

If not just buy a GPU cooler like Morpheus 2 or Accelero 3/4

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

The standard nvidia kits work for any reference boards

The EK Fluid Gaming Kit should also work fine

Oh. But even then I cant afford a new water cooling loop and have no place to put it

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Twitter generation attention span smh.

Well just spend more money then I guess.

I read the topic but I dont understand it. If I want to buy anything I have to sell this whole thing

I read the topic but I dont understand it. If I want to buy anything I have to sell this whole thing

You read it in a couple of minutes, huh?

There's really no reason to replace your entire system most likely.

Just wait for the next gen GPU announcement and make sure to never buy a blower card again.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

There's really no reason to replace your entire system most likely.

Just wait for the next gen GPU announcement and make sure to never buy a blower card again.

As I said, I have no money. There are bottlenecks in this system I cant find and the processor is starting to go. The part list I made has a 1060 with a higher clock speed and better cooling

3 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

Skipped to what I needed

Again, twitter generation.

You don't read the context and then complain you don't understand it. Clearly you need the entire context. Brew a cup of coffee, sit down and read it. I'm pretty sure if you follow those steps you can get a much higher sustained clockspeed. And while the pot is warm, also read my topic on poor performance:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/894384-stutters-framedrops-lag-how-to-provide-detailed-information-with-your-bottleneck-question-as-well-as-a-few-solutions/

And let me know the results if you still doubt your system is performing worse than it should.

You can't expect people here to magically give you the secret sauce to more fps. 

Turn the fan up. 1080’s don’t even do that if you use the fan. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

As I said, I have no money. There are bottlenecks in this system I cant find and the processor is starting to go. The part list I made has a 1060 with a higher clock speed and better cooling

Completely unnecessary, it's still a GTX 1060, there's no major difference in performance just run your FE card at 100% fan speed

If you're going to trade it in for anything get an RX 580 so you at least get free-sync savings.

What's your full current system?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Again, twitter generation.

You don't read the context and then complain you don't understand it. Clearly you need the entire context. Brew a cup of coffee, sit down and read it. I'm pretty sure if you follow those steps you can get a much higher sustained clockspeed. And while the pot is warm, also read my topic on poor performance:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/894384-stutters-framedrops-lag-how-to-provide-detailed-information-with-your-bottleneck-question-as-well-as-a-few-solutions/

And let me know the results if you still doubt your system is performing worse than it should.

You can't expect people here to magically give you the secret sauce to more fps. 

I expected a fan replacement or something I can add to the card. To drag the heat out. Maybe re-applying thermal paste with a brand someone recommends

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Turn the fan up. 1080’s don’t even do that if you use the fan. 

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Completely unnecessary, it's still a GTX 1060, there's no major difference in performance just run your FE card at 100% fan speed

If you're going to trade it in for anything get an RX 580 so you at least get free-sync savings.

You can make the GPU obnoxiously loud to dissipate the excess heat. Or you can be actually smart and just make it produce less heat by undervolting.

1 minute ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

I expected a fan replacement or something I can add to the card. To drag the heat out. Maybe re-applying thermal paste with a brand someone recommends

Mate fine, if you don't want to put in the effort and throw money at your problem go ahead. Tag me when you want to try my topics and have specific questions.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Im never getting Radeon graphics until they improve

i7-4790k, 32GB DDR3, ASUS Z97-E ATX mobo, Corsair H80iGT