Cannot boot into Windows 10 UEFI after successful installation

mafioso

At the beginning I was trying to install another OS on the disk and it wouldn't boot in UEFI then I try to wipe the disk and install Windows 10 on it to see if it could boot from the disk but my laptop won't ever accept to boot from it and now I don't know even why this disk is not bootable at all.

I have another SSD installed with Windows 10 and it boots properly in UEFI so I couldn't even understand what could ever go wrong.

My laptop is Toshiba Portege R930 if you guys would need further information.

I'd appreciate all of your help so please visit and shed a thought with me. Thank you!

P/S: I have a snapshot of my disk management below as the 120GB SSD is not bootable at all while my other 256 is still functioning so strong.

diskmanagement.PNG

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

Just to confirm, none of the data on the 120gb is important? You don't mind losing it all?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Just to confirm, none of the data on the 120gb is important? You don't mind losing it all?

Yes my friend everything important is placed in the 256 one

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

take a look at msconfig.exe also if u want to boot from UEFI you need to select windows boot manager not the drive.

If I give you only the 120GB SSD and my laptop how would you want the laptop to boot?

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

?? what are you asking?

Did you even understand my question above?

As above mentioned I installed a fresh Windows 10 into the SSD and I cannot boot from it. Now how would you say?

If it's not clear enough I can confirm that while I install Windows 10 into the 120GB SSD the 256GB SSD is not connected to my laptop at all. Only one drive is connect to the laptop at that moment. And you can see the EFI partition available in the 120GB SSD.

Just now, mafioso said:

Yes my friend everything important is placed in the 256 one

OK, try this and see if it solves the issue...

1) Click Start, type CMD then right clicking CMD.exe and choose Run As Administrator

2) Type the following commands one at a time exactly as their shown hitting enter after each

Diskpart

Select Disk 0

Clean

Exit

*Important note: I based these commands of the screenshot you showed above, assuming you haven't changed anything these commands will be correct but I'd strongly advise you to check that your 120gb drive is still listed as Disk 0 in Disk Management before issuing the clean command. Cleaning the wrong drive will format it and lose all your data. You have been warned

3) Shut down the laptop and disconnect the 250gb drive entirely

4) Run Windows Setup from your Installation media

5) At the partition screen just click next, do not manually assign any partitions

6) Finish setup as normal

At this point the laptop should boot from the 120gb drive. If it doesn't post back here again and we will look at UEFI settings.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

1) Click Start, type CMD then right clicking CMD.exe and choose Run As Administrator

2) Type the following commands one at a time exactly as their shown hitting enter after each

Diskpart

Select disk 0

Clean

Exit

*Important note: I based these commands of the screenshot you showed above, assuming you haven't changed anything these commands will be correct but I'd strongly advise you to check that your 120gb drive is still listed as Disk 0 in Disk Management before issuing the clean command. Cleaning the wrong drive will format it and lose all your data. You have been warned

[/Code]

5) At the partition screen just click next, do not manually assign any partitions

At this point the laptop should boot from the 120gb drive. If it doesn't post back here again and we will look at UEFI settings.

I have to admit that I tried exactly what you tell before I create this thread. anyway thanks for your effort my friend I aapreciate that

Just now, mafioso said:

I have to admit that I tried exactly what you tell before I create this thread. anyway thanks for your effort my friend I aapreciate that

That cannot be true as your 120 drive is split into multiple partitions which is something Windows would never do on its own (not that having 2 partitions should matter)

What are your UEFI boot settings? Can you take a photo of the UEFI Boot page with a phone then post it possibly?

It will my friend if you try to install Windows 10 on any disk with UEFI it will automatically create all those partitions for you I have done this thousands of times and I know it. And the snapshots as you wish

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

21 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

make sure you are using UEFI boot media and installing windows on unallocated space.

edit: also disable TPM

still no success my friend

Nothing is wrong with your settings, this is a tricky one.

I'm still convinced that cleaning the drive fully then disconnecting the second drive and allowing Windows to automatically partition the drive itself will solve this. I'm thinking that Windows hasn't installed the boot loader onto the 120 because it's already present on the 250. By cleaning the 120, removing the 250 entirely then allowing Windows to sort itself out it should install the boot files properly onto the 120.

I know you've said you did it once but could you follow my guide exactly and try it again? If it doesn't work after that then my only conclusion would be a faulty SSD which makes zero sense due to the fact it still works normally for everything except booting.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Diskpart

Select Disk 0

Clean

Convert gpt

Exit

Try these instructions exactly as shown :)

Btw there is a way of mounting the EFI Boot partition and checking the boot files exist so if these instructions fail then we can check that the boot files exist on the drive.

21 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Try these instructions exactly as shown :)

I fully respect your effort in helping me and I have just tried again and again even once more what you told me above and still no luck at all... maybe I should have it examined at my sellers?

It still has warranty for 1.5y but I dont know if they would replace it with another one for me

Currently I'm trying to install Windows in CSM mode to see if there could be any luck for me

4 minutes ago, mafioso said:

It still has warranty for 1.5y but I dont know if they would replace it with another one for me

Currently I'm trying to install Windows in CSM mode to see if there could be any luck for me

Do you have access to another machine you could test the SSD on? I've got to be honest, I'm really at a loss here. There is zero reason why that drive shouldn't boot.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Do you have access to another machine you could test the SSD on? I've got to be honest, I'm really at a loss here. There is zero reason why that drive shouldn't boot.

A bit of good news is this piece still works in CSM mode. It agreed to boot after installation. But what is wrong with UEFI when my other SSD still functions?

1 minute ago, mafioso said:

A bit of good news is this piece still works in CSM mode. It agreed to boot after installation. But what is wrong with UEFI when my other SSD still functions?

Ok, go back into Disk Management, where it says Disk 0 right click then choose Properties > Volumes.

Does it say GPT or MBR?