A question on OEM keys and a reinstall

ljeo332

So I got one of those ThrottleBook macs (the i9 one), and using BootCamp it's refusing my win 10 pro key, and won't let me activate it through the "I've Changed hardware recently" option, giving no error at all, giving it was an OEM key that I used for the last mac I don't think Microsoft is going to help me resolve this issue. Since performing some tests, involving my 980ti in a Razor Core X, this machine will not only be my daily driver but also my main gaming station since it outperforms my dated i7 4790k big PC, so I'm going to need to get rid of that pesky watermark if I'm to use this laptop more so my question is this:

Can I just add an OEM key to windows or would I have to reinstall to put it in, also would I have to delete my BootCamp drive just to do this or is there another method?

you can buy a OEM key and put it in, dont need to reienstall ;)

Probalby the "I changed my hardware" doesnt work becaus of the new T2 System Management chip in the new MBPs.

Windows makes up this "Hardware identification number" from various system components. Probs. the T2 is freaking out Windows a little bit. But dont worry a 5$ OEM key will do and activate Win for you!

Oh and please let me know about how gaming goes since this is what I have in mind for my second gaming station when buddies are over ;)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Thanks for this insight.

Gaming is amazing with the eGPU in, I'm getting a few stutters on DOOM but I think I just need to reinstall it since its running off of a Thunderbolt 2 eHDD rather than my TB 3 eHDD, but if my last mac was anything to go by, the 2015 retina MacBook Pro, it can run any game at decent FPS if you fiddle with the settings for a bit, but I imagine the stock GPU in my new mac is bound to be at least 2x better so I say you can get some decent games running really well at 1200p. 

Setting up the eGPU was easier than I expected, no setup really, I just plugged it in with my 980ti and plugged the HDMI to the box, and windows then installed the Nvidia drivers and after a restart my tv turned on with windows, take note though, you will not be able to use the default screen, since it does not send the signal back to the mac, there is probably a good tutorial out there but I don't need it, also it does not work natively with macOS, that's with Nvidia cards though, I assume AMD cards work but I'm not willing to buy a new GPU just so I can render a bit faster, I've heard you can get Nvidia drivers for macOS but you have to disable SIP and until I learn better on what everything does it not touching that for now, maybe in the future.