Networking issue

WereCat

My ISP has a Swtich in the apartment building and there is RJ45/Ethernet connection going from the switch to my appartment.

If I plug the RJ45/Ethernet to my WiFi router (ASUS RT-1200G+) and another RJ45 from the router to my PC, the Internet works and my PC is detecting an Ethernet connection.

But for whatever reason, my upload speed is 2Mb/s-4Mb/s instead of 10Mb/s.

If I try to plug the Etherned directly from Switch to my router, my PC does not even detect any Ethernet connection. The LED wont even light up. It used to work before.

Its an on-board Intel NIC on a Z87 motherboard.

The reason why I want to do this is because I was wondering whether the router is crippling my upload because I have been trying to figure out the issue for a long time with no luck so far.

I have three Windows machines at home.

Haswell based, Broadwell based and Ryzen based. All of them use Intel on board NIC or on-board WiFi. Does not matter if I use cable or WiFi, I will still get only 2Mb/s-4Mb/s upload on any of these machines.

The odd thing is that if I connect any Android device over WiFi (without a mobile accelerated connection), the upload flies at 10Mb/s without any issue.

I have no problem achieving my 100Mb/s download speed with any of these devices.

I have tried many different Intel drives, Chipset drivers, I tried to tinker with the Network settings on PC and on the Router, disabling and enabling QoS, etc... no luck so far.

Only thing I have not tried is to buy a dedicated network card.

Does pinging something through the 2-4Mb/s link show any packet loss?

2 minutes ago, Granular said:

Does pinging something through the 2-4Mb/s link show any packet loss?

No, even if I use VPN.

16 minutes ago, WereCat said:

No, even if I use VPN.

Well, then it sounds, like the router is doing some traffic shaping.

Tricky to troubleshoot because the switch isn't really yours if I'm reading it right (you're sharing internet in an apartment, it'd be your landlord's problem).  If connecting your pc directly to the switch (the wall I assume) isn't working, I speculate there's an issue with the switch configuration or your NIC.  Maybe as a troubleshooting step you can try matching your router's ip address on your computer and see if you still get no connection when plugging in directly.

41 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Tricky to troubleshoot because the switch isn't really yours if I'm reading it right (you're sharing internet in an apartment, it'd be your landlord's problem).  If connecting your pc directly to the switch (the wall I assume) isn't working, I speculate there's an issue with the switch configuration or your NIC.  Maybe as a troubleshooting step you can try matching your router's ip address on your computer and see if you still get no connection when plugging in directly.

That did not work. Still cant detect the Ethernet connection.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

That did not work. Still cant detect the Ethernet connection.

(Edited)

Hmm.  I see you mentioned your other rigs in the first post.  Same result with all of those?  Any commonalities (like a vpn)?  Are you getting limited connection or nothing (not even ethernet lights? - maybe try other cables).  If you're getting limited are you able to ping anything, and tried iprenew/flushdns/etc?  See if any neighbors will let you try their network.

If you can confirm it's just your network port and the pcs/nics aren't the issue.  I would start from the modem, reset it, and confirm with the ISP everything checks out (they'll check the firmware most likely).  After that I'd reset the switch, but without wiping out any of the vlans or configurations if there are any - a network tech actually has to do this.

Again, that all requires co-operation from your landlord.  You want to make totally sure you've eliminated everything before going into the infrastructure.  

11 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

(Edited)

Hmm.  I see you mentioned your other rigs in the first post.  Same result with all of those?  Any commonalities (like a vpn)?  Are you getting limited connection or nothing (not even ethernet lights? - maybe try other cables).  If you're getting limited are you able to ping anything, and tried iprenew/flushdns/etc?  See if any neighbors will let you try their network.

If you can confirm it's just your network port and the pcs/nics aren't the issue.  I would start from the modem, reset it, and confirm with the ISP everything checks out (they'll check the firmware most likely).  After that I'd reset the switch, but without wiping out any of the vlans or configurations if there are any - a network tech actually has to do this.

Again, that all requires co-operation from your landlord.  You want to make totally sure you've eliminated everything before going into the infrastructure.  

I dont have a modem. I just have a really long ethernet that goes from the switch to my apartment so I cant really try a different cable than this one.

All Windows PCs have the same problem and the LAN light on the port wont even light up if I connect it to PC. The upload is slow even over WiFi on Windows but not on Android which most likely excludes the cable being bad since I can also achieve the 100Mb/s download speeds without issue.

Restarting router did not help, I tried many settings that affect QoS and disabling them, same for settings in Windows.

Only thing that helps a little bit is this command in CMD within Windows 10.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

which increases my upload by about 0.5Mb/s on avg.

Since everything works fine on Android, it baffles me becasue that means the connection is definitely fine, I just cant figure out whether something is really wrong in the router or Windows.

And yes, I have disabled all the crap within Windows that hogs upload speeds, be it the Windows Update sharing, etc... I also tried to disable IPv6, etc..

That is really weird, certainly that plugging the ethernet cable directly into a PC doesn't work as I don't see how that is any different than going via the Switch.

Is this ACTUALLY a cable going directly into the switch or a wall plate wired in the walls going to it?  Because I'm confused why you can't try a different cable (even if the phone going fast would suggest the cable is fine).

What happens if you just plug a switch into the other end, or plug it into your routers LAN port (disabling DHCP on the router first)?  Do they only allow you have a single device plugged in thus you NEED to use a router?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That is really weird, certainly that plugging the ethernet cable directly into a PC doesn't work as I don't see how that is any different than going via the Switch.

Is this ACTUALLY a cable going directly into the switch or a wall plate wired in the walls going to it?  Because I'm confused why you can't try a different cable (even if the phone going fast would suggest the cable is fine).

What happens if you just plug a switch into the other end, or plug it into your routers LAN port (disabling DHCP on the router first)?  Do they only allow you have a single device plugged in thus you NEED to use a router?

I dont have a wall plate.

There is a hole in my wall trough which the cable comes into my room from the switch outside of my apartment from the hall to which I have no access.

The only way to try a different cable would be if I cut this one, then lead a new one back to my apartment but I would have to get the tool that snaps the connector on the cables (not sure how its called) because the hole is just big enough to lead the cable, not the connector itself.

I need to use my own WiFi router to be able to connect multiple devices, otherwise I can just connect one PC with the cable directly which does not work right now at all. It used to work before just fine, it just took about 10-15 minutes for the connection to start working but even then, Windows was saying "No Internet connection" before the connection started working. Now its just "No Ethernet cable is connected".

I tried to disable DHCP but nothing has changed.

If I plug the cable to other than WAN port on my router then the LED for that port light up but I wont get Internet connection.

I would definitely suggest you get in touch with the provider to try a different cable for you as the fact it refuses to link when in your PC directly is definitely suspect.

Its odd that your Android device works fine, but if the cable ONLY works when plugged into the router then something is definitely off there.

What it might be worth doing first, if you don't have another wired device to test with, would be to pickup a dirt cheap USB ethernet adapter and try that direct from the PC to the router (to confirm it works) and then try it directly to the switch to see if its better.  It would at least eliminate some sort of intermittent problem with your PCs ethernet adapter.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7