life expectancy of a WD black drive

technovore

I'm using and old HDD from my old system as an extra drive in my current rig.
it's a WD1001FALS-00j7bo 1TB that already has 7400 power on hours.

mLSp6xl.png

should I expect my drive to fail anytime soon?
or will it last another few years?
and how many hours does a HDD typically last?

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I remember an article in which Seagate talked about 2400 hours a year for their desktop drives. Assuming WD estimates roughly the same and taking into account that they offer a 5 year warranty on their drives I think you should be good to go for a while.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

You are still good for a while yet. There is a drive in my system with nearly 15,000 hours of powered on time and it is still error free.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I remember an article in which Seagate talked about 2400 hours a year for their desktop drives. Assuming WD estimates roughly the same and taking into account that they offer a 5 year warranty on their drives I think you should be good to go for a while.

so IF WD offers 5 years warranty on their black drives AND they allow up to 2400 hours/year like seagate then that's a total of:

2400 hours/year * 5 years = 12000 hours.

12000 hours - 7400 hours = 4600 hours left

but that's only if I fellow your speculation @Hyrikan

Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable

Crystaldisk info is one of the best pieces of software to check out hdd health. 

isn't that the software from which I posted a screenie?

Chivalry isn't dead!

No clue. Hdd's are ticking time bombs that can randomly die at anytime. 

My Hitachi drive is running for 25000+ hours and still going strong.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

so IF WD offers 5 years warranty on their black drives AND they allow up to 2400 hours/year like seagate then that's a total of:

2400 hours/year * 5 years = 12000 hours.

12000 hours - 7400 hours = 4600 hours left

but that's only if I fellow your speculation @Hyrikan

Yeah and that's a minimum on which I would add at least about 10-20% if WD isn't utterly stupid and wants to risk tons of RMAs of their drives in the last year of warranty :).

BUT: As @WoodenMarker mentioned above: HDD =ticking time bomb. There are just so many factors that can influence the lifetime (temps, physical movement etc. etc.) that it's hard to predict how long a drive will last.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Yeah and that's a minimum on which I would add at least about 10-20% if WD isn't utterly stupid and wants to risk tons of RMAs of their drives in the last year of warranty :).

BUT: As @WoodenMarker mentioned above: HDD =ticking time bomb. There are just so many factors that can influence the lifetime (temps, physical movement etc. etc.) that it's hard to predict how long a drive will last.

If anyone is trying to predict it for me, I put that specific drive to very light use at these temperatures:

8zURaLK.png

Chivalry isn't dead!

@technovore: I wouldn't worry that much. Just watch that S.M.A.R.T. stats and if crystaldiskinfo screams swap the drive. There's no real use in predicting anything.

@technovore: I wouldn't worry that much. Just watch that S.M.A.R.T. stats and if crystaldiskinfo screams swap the drive. There's no real use in predicting anything.

That was plan B.

I just can't afford to check it every 3 months......I'll forget about it.

anyways, it's not like I'm storing vital data on that drive.

I just thought I could get a prediction, but I understand there are a lot of factors!

Chivalry isn't dead!

I have a Quantum hard drive from 1997. To be honest, if you don't abuse the drive, they will last very very long.

I also have a WDC drive from 1996 that still works perfectly.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I have a Quantum hard drive from 1997. To be honest, if you don't abuse the drive, they will last very very long.

antiques... :)

Chivalry isn't dead!

How the heck do you connect those with your PC? Or are you running those on an ancient PC?

How the heck do you connect those with your PC? Or are you running those on an ancient PC?

I have my fair share of old computers. I use the 1.2gb WDC on my 486 and the quantum drive is in my 75mhz Pentium machine.

But yeah, hard drives last a long time if you don't bang them around too much. There are still drives from the 80s that work.

I have my fair share of old computers. I use the 1.2gb WDC on my 486 and the quantum drive is in my 75mhz Pentium machine.

But yeah, hard drives last a long time if you don't bang them around too much. There are still drives from the 80s that work.

Yeah that's true if you're lucky hard drives can survive many PC upgrades :). And I want those oldschool rigs, kind of jealous at the moment.

I'd really like to fiddle with one of those, they're from before my time, completely irrelevant now, but they're still interesting!

Chivalry isn't dead!

Yeah that's true if you're lucky hard drives can survive many PC upgrades :). And I want those oldschool rigs, kind of jealous at the moment.

Super sexy.... :P;)

vbfKcrNl.jpg

But yeah, there is no way to know when a hard drive is going out when it does. That is rather unpredictable. As soon as there is any large amounts of latency and some clicky noise, then its time to get your stuff off the drive ASAP and get a new one.

vbfKcrNl.jpg

You wouldn't mind to give me your address and like your usual week schedule, would you? I mean ... just interested ... absolutely nothing to do with this PC.

You wouldn't mind to give me your address and like your usual week schedule, would you? I mean ... just interested ... absolutely nothing to do with this PC.

Thrift stores might be a better option ;)

vbfKcrNl.jpg

But yeah, there is no way to know when a hard drive is going out when it does. That is rather unpredictable. As soon as there is any large amounts of latency and some clicky noise, then its time to get your stuff off the drive ASAP and get a new one.

absolutly loving it!

Chivalry isn't dead!

isn't that the software from which I posted a screenie?

Duh. I'm an idiot. Yeah. If it says your drive is good, it's good. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

It has a lot of life left. My WD Black 500GB has 8697 hours and I bought it last year, Still working the same way since I bought it. 

If anyone is trying to predict it for me, I put that specific drive to very light use at these temperatures:

8zURaLK.png

Can you link me to the download of that software? :)

thanks

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x