TechSpot: Toshiba announces 96-layer QLC 3D NAND chips to boost SSD capacities

AtlasWraith

Toshiba is doing it big this year with their QLC NAND chips and I am so looking forward to this!

TL:DR direct from the article:

SSDs are a dime a dozen these days. Any meaningful step forward is going to come as a result of either increased performance or increased capacity. Toshiba's latest advancement addresses the latter (and hopefully, not at the expense of the former).

The 96-layer BiCS 3D NAND chips feature four bits per cell (quad level cell, or QLC). By pushing the bit count for data per memory cell from three to four, Toshiba’s new NAND achieves a maximum capacity of 1.33 terabits for a single chip. A typical 16-die stacked architecture in a single package would have a capacity of 2.66 terabytes, opening the door for large-capacity SSDs in the not-too-distant future.

I am thinking this translates to SSD's at 2TB or 4TB for around the same price point as a standard 1TB, but I am sure a price premium will be "available" at lunch and for the next months to come after initial release.

Now,

Western Digital, a partner of Toshiba, said in a separate release that it is now sampling the new NAND and plans to ship consumer products running the chips under the SanDisk brand later this year.

Which suggest that the tech will be consumer ready for the holiday season. That of course could just be wishful thinking and WD might be moving that window to right into 2019.

Either way, the biggest thing to take away from this as PC gamers is that once this tech goes live, current SSD prices should see a massive reduction in price, at least I hope. I personally also hope that this brings the 2TB Crusial MX500 or the 2TB 970 EVO to sub 100 USD. That's literally the best case scenario for a pure gaming rig since there's no way gaming performance and load times will really benefit all that much from newer drives. I could be wrong, of course. Thoughts?

Source:

https://www.techspot.com/news/75600-toshiba-announces-96-layer-qlc-3d-nand-chips.html

Yeah but doesn't QLC NAND suck at endurance?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

endurance also scales with size, and current endurance is CRAZY long. so a 2TB drive would last for over 2+PB written to it. If any home user gets past 100TB in 5 years is no ordinary user, I have put 15TB per 512GB drive in my raid 0 over 4-5 years. that is my only storage in my system for most of its life.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

13 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Why do people even care about endurance? Who the hell is writing 100GBs a day?

Looks like they're competing with Samsung 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why do people even care about endurance? Who the hell is writing 100GBs a day?

Now that I've looked into it more, it seems like (at least for the QLC they revealed last year) the endurance is about 1000 write cycles, which is 10x what I (and by the sounds of it, some other people) expected. That makes these much more usable. I was worried about a cheap 250GB ssd dying after only 25TB of writes.

15 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

endurance also scales with size, and current endurance is CRAZY long. so a 2TB drive would last for over 2+PB written to it. If any home user gets past 100TB in 5 years is no ordinary user, I have put 15TB per 512GB drive in my raid 0 over 4-5 years. that is my only storage in my system for most of its life.

Depending on the software you have running some people may be racking up insane amounts of writes without knowing it. An example of this is shadowplay: 

Even since I have stopped using shadowplay I have reached over 27TB of writes on my SSD.

Forlarger drives however you are correct to say that it becomes less of an issue.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Depending on the software you have running some people may be racking up insane amounts of writes without knowing it. An example of this is shadowplay: 

LINK

Even since I have stopped using shadowplay I have reached over 27TB of writes on my SSD.

Forlarger drives however you are correct to say that it becomes less of an issue.

27 TB over how long?

a 120GB 850 evo should last for around 500+TB written and again it scales so a 500 GB 850 evo would be 2+PB.

at your current rate how many years do you have left?

the real question is how much should we expect it to cost? any ideas? this hits me right when i am in the market for an ssd

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

45 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Compared to other SSD cells , yes . They can only do about 1000 or so PE cycles before dying . But if you think about it ,that's still multiple Petabytes worth of writes for that 2.6TB  NAND flash chip .  That's actually quite a bit , especially when you consider that people don't usually write data to their drive that much compared to how much is read, where damage doesn't occur.

Also , keep in mind rated vs actual endurance statistic . For 2.66 PB of write endurance , that means you could still write roughly 1.5TB to your drive every day , for FIVE YEARS.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

39 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

27 TB over how long?

a 120GB 850 evo should last for around 500+TB written

Where do you see that? Its rated for 75TB, so at current rates I'll run out in 4 years (been about 2 years since I built this PC).

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Where do you see that? Its rated for 75TB, so at current rates I'll run out in 4 years (been about 2 years since I built this PC).

Their was a tech site that did a test on 250gb drives like, Samsung got 1.2PB written before failure. Most got past 800TB

Not gonna happen, they are sandbagging SSD capacities right now just like they price fix RAM, SSD will stay expensive at high capacities for quite a while until something happens in the market.

As for Toshiba's tech, they will definately make premium drives for workstations and servers at 1-2-3+ TB  and sell for premium price, it will probably be 1-2 years down the road after release before competitors come up with something similar and drive prices down 6-12 months after that when they compete in holidays sales/black friday, oversupply etc.

Actually im more worried that SATA iii is dead and no replacement being made, there arent even plans or ideas in the works its just dead. NVMe is not advancing fast enough, NVMe should have been the obvious replacement for SATA or at least most board's should already have NVMe ports 1-4 ports and reduce the lanes from southbridge SATA going to the cpu to boost lanes available for NVMe etc.

This might sound ridiculous but what would happen if you move HDD to NVMe directly, would HDD gain a little better latency and troughput? i say it would but not worth it, probably why they didnt do it already.

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Their was a tech site that did a test on 250gb drives like, Samsung got 1.2PB written before failure. Most got past 800TB

All the tests I can find used pro drives, which have significantly longer endurance.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs are a dime a dozen these days

Actually they're about a dime a half gig, but hopefully this can bring that down xD For too long SSDs have been the domain of high performance, but due to their many benefits over HDDs, they would be an improvement even for simple bulk storage.  Problem is they've always been too expensive for this, but perhaps that is about to change.

28 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Not gonna happen, they are sandbagging SSD capacities right now just like they price fix RAM, SSD will stay expensive at high capacities for quite a while until something happens in the market.

What is your evidence for this?  If anything, I've seen considerable improvements made in the $/GB space over the last year or so.

28 minutes ago, yian88 said:

This might sound ridiculous but what would happen if you move HDD to NVMe directly, would HDD gain a little better latency and troughput? i say it would but not worth it, probably why they didnt do it already.

It would probably be worse.  The whole point of NVMe was to move away from the previous protocols that were designed and optimized for HDDs and get something that can push SSDs to their limit.

1 hour ago, IAnthonyFX said:

the real question is how much should we expect it to cost? any ideas? this hits me right when i am in the market for an ssd

The best $/GB drive right now is Micron's 1100 2 TB which is just $300 US.  The next closest drive I can find is about the same cost about half that for only 1 TB, and god help you if you go up to 2 TB or more with any other brand.  Considering that's 3D TLC, I'd imagine the newer ones should be noticeably cheaper than that, but no one knows for sure until it happens.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

All the tests I can find used pro drives, which have significantly longer endurance.

https://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

https://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

https://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb/

the 840 lasted to 900GB

the 2 worst drives, kingstone and intel, lasted to 700GB with the leaders making it to 1.5PB. and this is with 250GB drives. so I would expect your drive to last past 300GB writes, and for these drives with big capacities I don't see a reason to be concerned.

I feel like everyone is talking too much about durability. What about write speeds? Those are gonna suffer a ton. And I think capacities are being overstated. QLC offers 33% higher capacity than TLC. So theoretically, if we had a $100 500gb TLC SSD, I'd guess that a 500gb QLC SSD would be around $80-$90 (gotta factor in other costs like controller and dram). The cost savings really aren't that huge and on the lower capacity versions we could see drastically decreased performance and endurance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 7/20/2018 at 5:15 PM, The Benjamins said:

https://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

https://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

https://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb/

the 840 lasted to 900GB

the 2 worst drives, kingstone and intel, lasted to 700GB with the leaders making it to 1.5PB. and this is with 250GB drives. so I would expect your drive to last past 300GB writes, and for these drives with big capacities I don't see a reason to be concerned.

Keep in mind that that experiment was started in 2013. Even the worst SSDs today are significantly more durable than the ones from 5 years ago, and current high end ones are in a whole other league.

1 minute ago, Waffles13 said:

Keep in mind that that experiment was started in 2013. Even the worst SSDs today are significantly more durable than the ones from 5 years ago, and current high end ones are in a whole other league.

yes that is my point, their is no need to worry about endurance on good drives