Windows 10 Pro deferals

Nothing super important, I'm only curious.

Currently on Windows 10 Pro 1709 Redstone 3 Fall Creators Update, the version that shipped with a new laptop.

BEFORE connecting to any network, I configured the security updates to "wait" 30 days, the ability to "pause" 35 days, and to "uphold " the version change 365 days. Since the decision from Microsoft to follow a semi-annual version update is relatively recent, I was wondering, when I reach the 365 days, is it going to be the latest version released, or is it going to be the one following, in this case 1803 Redstone 4 April 2018 Update?

why would you do this? 

not updating makes your system very insecure. 

She/Her

40 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

why would you do this? 

Well, the first part anyway. Kind of hard to think of a reason not to get security updates straight away unless you're responsible for deploying them across an enterprise environment. Even then, a month's delay would probably be much riskier than quickly deploying them. Breaking an application temporarily is better than letting ransomware in.

But as for the actual question, I strongly suspect you will just get the next sequential feature update, not the latest one. The 365 days should be a rolling limit. It means you're constantly 365 days behind the current release schedule. 365 days is a lot though, unless you're on an expensive Internet connection and just can't afford the updates. 3-6 months would probably be plenty for the cautious.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

From reading the policy; it looks like you can defer the "feature update" (version).. when doing so you specify what it will update to from the drop down.. the drop down says "current branch" or "current branch for business". So I would assume it will update to whatever you have selected.

If you have CBB selected than after 365 days it will update to the next CBB, not the very latest version.

I think the next CB turns into CBB, and oldest semi annual turns into the CB. So hopefully any weird bugs will be worked out by the other masses of people by then.

Feature updates are not the same as security updates... Security updates should  be applied immediately, while feature updates are non relevant unless you need something it offers. I personally use 1703 (the current branch) and also have the next feature update deferred because.. who cares... Testing the next branch for work / for fun is a different story.

The 365 days could be less than that, of course.

While Windows 10 has been out for a some time (the first year you could get it free of charge), prior to running it on any of my machines, which is only recently, I heard people with problems they did not have with, say, Windows 7. It doesn't mean I will have any, I'll see if things get more stable.

On 19/07/2018 at 6:48 PM, LGA_Socket said:

BEFORE connecting to any network, I configured the security updates to "wait" 30 days, the ability to "pause" 35 days, and to "uphold " the version change 365 days. Since the decision from Microsoft to follow a semi-annual version update is relatively recent, I was wondering, when I reach the 365 days, is it going to be the latest version released, or is it going to be the one following, in this case 1803 Redstone 4 April 2018 Update?

It will install the update that you deferred. The newest one will also be deferred for the same amount of time.

If you want to turn off Windows Update entirely, and the update to the latest version once you turn Windows Update back on again, use the Group Policy editor to turn off automatic updates:

There are also 3rd-party programs that can stop or block Windows Update in Windows 10. I think Spybot Anti-Beacon is one.

On 19/07/2018 at 7:06 PM, firelighter487 said:

why would you do this? 

Strange, I leave systems not updates for years and they haven't had any problems.

Forced updates in Windows 10 are about giving Microsoft more opportunity to add more data-harvesting to your system and to reset your Windows 10 configuration to the Microsoft defaults (which allow the most personal data to be harvested by Microsoft), and don't do a huger amount to make your system more secure.

With how Microsoft's QA has degraded since 2015, there's actually more of a risk of having your system screwed up from installing Microsoft updates than there is from a virus or malware. The best situation is to disable Windows Update, and then run MalwareBytes, Spybot, and some AV.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I was wondering, but I know that you have to install a more recent version eventually in order to continue to be supported, it wasn't intended as a complete block.

Thank you everyone