From 1050ti to RX580

hey guys,

ive had my pc since january, and didnt look at any pc parts, because the prices were ridiculous, and i was glad that i finally had my rig working..

..until today, and i saw the RX580 8GB go for around 250$ on newegg, and it got me thinking:

should i sell my current gpu (1050ti) and get the 580, or just sod it and put that money into my Oneplus 6.

its summertime, so us students can work too, and im saving up for the oneplus, but i saw the card and got excited, keep in mind that i would be barely able to afford both of them.

my current specs:

R3 1200 @3.8Ghz (1.29V), 8 gigs of ddr4 @2666MHz, and the Gigabyte 1050ti mentioned above.

should i pull the trigger, or play it safe and buy the phone?

in general 1050ti vs 580 is a BIG step up, and the $250 seems pretty cheap - what card is that? I dont seem to find it on newegg

My Gaming PC: 27833

Do you need a new phone? Does the 1050ti not cut it for you? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

You would be doubling your GPU performance. If it were me deciding between the two i personally would get the GPU, but if you had to get both im not so sure its the wisest financial decision to make yourself that low on money on top of having school even though its a good deal. Maybe others can chime in but im also unsure if your CPU would bottleneck the 580.

Thats if you even need the extra GPU performance, what games do you play?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

rethink your needs... 1050ti is a capable gpu, if you are not willing to upgrade rest of the parts you will not benefit so much out of it. I would go for a phone, maybe not 1+6 but used s8 or smth 

31 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

in general 1050ti vs 580 is a BIG step up, and the $250 seems pretty cheap - what card is that? I dont seem to find it on newegg

damn, it just disappeared, but i think it was one of the Powercolor ones. this is the cheapest i could find, its still a great price 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3ZQPY6/?tag=pcpapi-20

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Do you need a new phone? Does the 1050ti not cut it for you? 

well my little 5s is on its last legs, its done a great job, but i think i just want it to rest in peace now. and ive noticed some framedrops in R6 Siege and GTA V when something extraordinary happens (lots of explosions/corpses etc). the 1050ti is a great card, but these things are bugging me. and yup, i have tweaked and lowered my settings, which fixed some of the drops, but not all of them.

35 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

You would be doubling your GPU performance. If it were me deciding between the two i personally would get the GPU, but if you had to get both im not so sure its the wisest financial decision to make yourself that low on money on top of having school even though its a good deal. Maybe others can chime in but im also unsure if your CPU would bottleneck the 580.

Thats if you even need the extra GPU performance, what games do you play?

yeah the bottleneck is my main worry, was thinking about selling this little 1200 and getting a 1600 and then getting a new gpu, would that be a better idea?

17 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

rethink your needs... 1050ti is a capable gpu, if you are not willing to upgrade rest of the parts you will not benefit so much out of it. I would go for a phone, maybe not 1+6 but used s8 or smth 

i would, eventually, but as i said above ive encountered some issues that i'd like to fix. my main goal for the summer is the phone tho, thats why im hesitating on the gpu

19 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I would rather pair RX 570 with R3 1200.

i would upgrade my cpu sometime this year too, its just that i can get parts from the us (until september) even tho i live in europe, and the graphics cards here are more expensive than in the states, thats why im hesitating.

well i usually find it more fun to have a better gpu than cpu, than the other way around. most of the time the gpu costs more and will make the bigger difference, so to get that sorted and later match it with the proper cpu would be what i would do

My Gaming PC: 27833