Adobe confirms a full version of Photoshop is coming to the iPad

shermantanker

Today Bloomberg released a report that a report that Adobe was working on a full fledged version of Photoshop for the iPad to be released this October. And Adobe did confirm they were working on the app, but didn't confirm anything on the dates.

Adobe already offers a multiplicity of photo and imaging apps for iOS, including a simplified Photoshop Express. None of these mobile versions have quite lived up to the level of quality and flexibility of the company’s PC and Mac apps, which has left room for mobile-focused competitors like Affinity Photo to garner a share of the market. Bloomberg describes the decision to release the full Photoshop on the iPad as a change of strategy for Adobe, which is increasingly looking to entice hobbyists and casual users as well as image-editing professionals. Belsky is quoted as saying there’s been great demand from Photoshop users for the ability to make “edits on the fly,” which is what this Photoshop release will try to sate.

This news was kinda unexpected to me, but at the same time isn't a huge surprise considering what Apple is trying to do the iPad and Adobe trying to gobble up more of those yummy CC subscription $$$. I can see this being huge for students and more casual users, but with the iPad being limited to 4 GB of RAM larger files will be problematic without a significant memory upgrade. If this pans out well I could easily start seeing companies like Microsoft and Autodesk start fallowing suit with full apps on the iPad.

The Verge

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

This is definitely going to draw more users away from Windows based devices. Having to buy a Surface Pro and then still have to pay for the Adobe suite adds up pretty quickly. iPad users might feel like they get more for their money (aiming this doesn't inflate pricing)

I fail to see how full blown photoshop on a touch screen will allow for edits "on the fly"... but if someone wants it they can have it now I guess...

I just wish Adobe would port their stuff to linux now linus_sad48x48.png.01959e87d02aa5ec4eccaf185b408766.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I mean, My main concern, minus the limited memory, would be: are the ipad screens going to be calibrated for accurate colors? To be honest, I wouldn't want to do any serious photo editing on a small ipad with my fingers. A mouse and keyboard with a larger display will always be more accurate and easier to use...

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

4 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

are the ipad screens going to be calibrated for accurate colors?

The 10.5” iPad Pro uses DCI-P3 color gamut 

6 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

ugh maybe it's even optimized for something for once! xD

I bet we’re now going to see future iPads with more than 4GB RAM. 

12 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

This is definitely going to draw more users away from Windows based devices...

Maybe Adobe can now port their InDesign and Lightroom to iOS. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I mean, My main concern, minus the limited memory, would be: are the ipad screens going to be calibrated for accurate colors? To be honest, I wouldn't want to do any serious photo editing on a small ipad with my fingers. A mouse and keyboard with a larger display will always be more accurate and easier to use...

Isn't the pro already pretty well calibrated if you turn off truetone?

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Good to know, so only the ipad pro would truly benefit from a full version of photoshop, leaving it kinda pointless on standard ipads..

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

2 hours ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Good to know, so only the ipad pro would truly benefit from a full version of photoshop, leaving it kinda pointless on standard ipads..

Standard ipads don't even support the pencil afaik - this is quite clearly meant for the ipad pro, which makes sense in a way, but given the pro's price... yikes.

-edit-

apparently as of this year the standard ipad does support the pencil, I stand corrected. It's probably severely underspec'd for photoshop though.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

And how are you supposed to load custom brushes, filters, and plugins? iOS doesn't allow all this.

Pro's need this. It might attract amateurs, but Pro's? I don't think so.

In addition, Professionals tend to use multiple softwares, which are not available on iOS.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And how are you supposed to load custom brushes, filters, and plugins? iOS doesn't allow all this.

In addition, Professionals tend to use multiple softwares, which are not available on iOS.

It still is a start, but I do agree it is more aimed at casual users. However I do see this being more powerful for pen users vs what is currently available on the iPad.

Sounds good but I'm a desktop and mouse person and I love the keyboard shortcuts. Also, using the pen/mouse for Photoshop, feels having a better control when creating shapes.

Everyone shit talking this and yet my brother who actually draws thinks it's great. He wants a drawing tablet with a screen but that'll cost 500$ at the very low end, so it's out of the question right now. This is a lot more accessible. Anyone who draws will appreciate what this can do. And no plugins isn't a deal breaker, you should see the amazing shit that can be done in stock photoshop.

For professionals? OFC this won't be enough for professionals, professionals use Wacom graphics tablets that cost over 2000$ and shit like that, but for everyone else, this will be great. And why bitch about having more options? Usually I'm a "Apple hater", but at least keep an open mind and think about things you're gonna criticize. Like what if someone already has an iPad, and they want to be able to draw with a screen. They could spend hundreds or thousands on a graphics tablet or a surface pro or something like that, or they could just download the photoshop app on their iPad.

think.jpg.2ad445699aa3f065a62669049b6653a1.jpg

EDIT:
And yes, I see the obvious downsides, like no good way to manage files (which is one of the main reasons I hate iOS and will never use it), but like I said, it's just an extra option, take it or leave it.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

My lifelong dream has always been to use Photoshop on a machine with 4 GB of RAM.
</sarcasm>

We're getting Illustrator next, right @Adobe ????

Overall this sounds pretty awesome, but I can't help but wonder if they're gonna allow iPad users to save/open files to/from services like iCloud, Dropbox, or the iPad's own file system, or if they're gonna force everyone to use Creative Cloud to store their files.

Cloud storage is becoming way too fragmented and forced. I love dropbox for convenience, but it's pretty annoying how an Android phone can only backup to Google Drive, while OneNote can only sync files via OneDrive, and so on. If this is gonna try forcing me to keep my digital photos on Creative Cloud, I'm just gonna stick with hauling my laptop around just so I don't have to start using yet another cloud storage service.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I fail to see how full blown photoshop on a touch screen will allow for edits "on the fly"... but if someone wants it they can have it now I guess...

It's an alternative to Instagram filters I guess??

The worst part? Since you can't directly connect your professional camera to an iPad... It's definitely going to create more if this:

this-is-how-you-look-taking-pictures-wit

Again? The previous Touch version for mobile devices was really great app and I don't understand, why they pulled it off. I'm still using it's cracked version (well there is no legal way how to obtain it now) because no other app give you the same options. Hope this one would be even better.

11 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

you can't directly connect your professional camera to an iPad

What? Really?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As a designer, I use both Photoshop and Illustrator for my work; I'd like to see Adobe have the its full image suite on the iPad (atleast Illustrator thrown in as well) before I buy an iPad for on the fly media editing; till then- I'm sticking with my old and trusty Windows machine (I mean- who in HELLS NAME decided getting rid of the freaking SD card reader was a good idea! I'm not carrying around dongles thank you very much; I've got better things to do than worry about forgetting or losing it somewhere and it stonewalling a remote project, I mean- it's like Apple designed their "Pro" lineup around marketing to an audience who get dazzled by radical design changes as opposed to ensuring it's functional at the same time.

PC in Profile

1 hour ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I mean, My main concern, minus the limited memory, would be: are the ipad screens going to be calibrated for accurate colors?

Very accurate. 

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

DCI-P3 is a color spectrum, not a measurement of color accuracy. 

Both the regular and Pro iPads are very well calibrated. 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You sure it doesn't? I don't see why it couldn't support it. I am not an iOS user so don't quote me on this, but when I used an iPod touch I could open up iTunes and drag-n-drop files to specific apps. If that doesn't work for some reason couldn't they do an in-app downloader? Similar to how in-app purchases works. 

As for all the people saying this won't be as good as using a desktop, I think this will apply mostly to people drawing, rather than editing. For that, an iPad Pro with Photoshop will be better than what a lot of hobbyist use (cheapo Wacom tablet without a screen). 

19 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

it's like Apple designed their "Pro" lineup around marketing to an audience who get dazzled by radical design changes as opposed to ensuring it's functional at the same time.

The macbook pro is a glorified facebook machine, and it's marketed towards rich people who want a fancy facebook machine. Apple hasn't cared about the pro audience ever since they switched to intel and actually gained some marketshare.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:
1 hour ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I mean, My main concern, minus the limited memory, would be: are the ipad screens going to be calibrated for accurate colors?

Very accurate. 

Oh man, you've eased my mind here :P

23 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Oh man, you've eased my mind here :P

Actually... I might have spoken too soon. I haven't found a proper display analysis of the newest non-pro iPad, but all the other iPads (with the exception of the first iPad mini, iirc) have been excellent. So I think it's pretty safe to say the new one is good too, but that is an assumption on my part (based on Apple's track record).