GTX 1080 vs Vega 56

Okay so you can get a strix vega 56 for £480: vega 56

and a strix 1080 for £500: gtx 1080

Seeing as i'm getting a 144hz monitor for about £200, would it make sense to get a freesync one and amd gpu even though it's slower? G-sync monitors seem to cost way too much, £200 is my limit for the monitor

#VegaMasterRace...

JK Free Sync Panel with an AMD Card seems reasonable though then again I'm not someone who plays everything on max settings. I myself use a 144hz G-Sync IPS Panel and I would reccomend it though if it's out of your budget it cant be helped

When it comes to pure horsepower the 1080 will be the stronger card, but as you said if you are on a budget the AMD and Freesync will be a better pairing. Then again the 1080 with a gsync card would still be much more ideal. Might consider going with a used or cheaper version of the 1080 and using that money towards a Gsync monitor. You can get a 144hz 1080p gsync for reasonable prices these days... it isn't until you jump to 1440p and higher than the prices start to sky rocket.

2 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

#VegaMasterRace...

JK Free Sync Panel with an AMD Card seems reasonable though then again I'm not someone who plays everything on max settings. I myself use a 144hz G-Sync IPS Panel and I would reccomend it though if it's out of your budget it cant be helped

I would consider buying watch dogs 2 next spring/summer and would play on high (not very high/ultra) settings (1080p) as my most demanding graphics task, do you think I could play it with good fps with the vega card

For 1080p both cards are super overkill even for 144, unless you want the latest DMC at 144 for some reason ^_^  so basically pick the one you want. The 1080 is considerably faster for the money, yes, but Gsync is and will always be overpriced proprietary nonsense, so there's that.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

When it comes to pure horsepower the 1080 will be the stronger card, but as you said if you are on a budget the AMD and Freesync will be a better pairing. Then again the 1080 with a gsync card would still be much more ideal. Might consider going with a used or cheaper version of the 1080 and using that money towards a Gsync monitor. You can get a 144hz 1080p gsync for reasonable prices these days... it isn't until you jump to 1440p and higher than the prices start to sky rocket.

I'll also investigate new gpu's coming out soon but if they're not competitive, I might go for the vega then

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

For 1080p both cards are super overkill even for 144, unless you want the latest DMC at 144 for some reason ^_^  so basically pick the one you want. The 1080 is considerably faster for the money, yes, but Gsync is and will always be overpriced proprietary nonsense, so there's that.

Will freesync/gsync actually make a difference xD

1 minute ago, YourMumDrinksSprite said:

Will freesync/gsync actually make a difference xD

Yes, and since Gsync is, again, overpriced proprietary nonsense, I'd grab the Vega. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I might be completely wrong but I feel like G-Sync is quite smoother than without

4 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

I might be completely wrong but I feel like G-Sync is quite smoother than without

the cheapest g sync monitor is £180 over budget rip

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yes, and since Gsync is, again, overpriced proprietary nonsense, I'd grab the Vega. 

This is pure opinion. I feel Gsync while more costly than freesync does a better job overall.

That is because with Gsync the module in the monitor does the majority of the heavy lifting when it comes to making adjustments and the like...  With freesync that lifting falls on the gpu and can hamper performance. On top of that the quality of Gsync is much better, it is smoother, and doesn't suffer from ghosting like freesync does.

@AngryBeaver Most of the games I play are actually quite old (CSGO, battlefront 2 (2005), minecraft etc with some newer/ more demanding titles like titanfall 2 and universe sandbox 2 so I dont think there will be too much heavy lifting although I will probably playthrough watch dogs 2 when I get it

What no, especially in Far Cry the G-Sync doesnt stutter at all while the others do

2 minutes ago, YourMumDrinksSprite said:

@AngryBeaver Most of the games I play are actually quite old (CSGO, battlefront 2 (2005), minecraft etc with some newer/ more demanding titles like titanfall 2 and universe sandbox 2 so I dont think there will be too much heavy lifting although I will probably playthrough watch dogs 2 when I get it

Not trying to knock freesync... was just countering the other posters comment. When it comes to no gsync/freesync vs having it there will be a huge different. So either way you will be very satisfied with the results over a standard monitor.

Adaptive Sync is overrated.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Get the 1080. Vega are shitty cards for the price and are a real challenge to cool. You dont need a Gysnc panel, just get a 144 hz panel and Youll be fine

If I get the 1080, will i get tearing seeing as theres no syncs?

edit: this could be important for competitive csgo

1 minute ago, YourMumDrinksSprite said:

If I get the 1080, will i get tearing seeing as theres no syncs?

edit: this could be important for competitive csgo

Based on your name i dont think youll be all that great at comp CSGo :P 

Honestly Tearing happens when theres massive frame drops, and CSGO generally is pretty good since its run pretty easily by your hardware

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Based on your name i dont think youll be all that great at comp CSGo :P 

Honestly Tearing happens when theres massive frame drops, and CSGO generally is pretty good since its run pretty easily by your hardware

Oi 1v1 me when I get more than 10fps on my 2013 apu: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03833966

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4TMkw6

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4TMkw6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4TMkw6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  (£269.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£71.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£144.10 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£76.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£47.89 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Air Boost Video Card  (£439.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 10 600W 80+ Silver Certified ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£198.97 @ More Computers)
Total: £1354.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 14:26 BST+0100

Slightly cheaper than the one you put together, but with a few tweaks.

Faster Ram (important for ryzen)

2nd gen ryzen cpu (higher ST performance)

The rest was chosen to fit a similar budget to your build.

In the end you get more performance for a slightly cheaper price. Feel free to tweak it as you see fit. Might consider tossing a 240-280mm AIO in the build for another 50-120 depending on brand. I would also suggest a better case for either build. The one I chose is decent, but a budget case. A nice quality case will make a huge different in the ease of your build and the amount of air flow and cable management you have to work with.

Alternatively you could go this route.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9vRWr6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9vRWr6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  (£182.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£71.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£144.10 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£76.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£47.89 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  (£415.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 10 600W 80+ Silver Certified ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PG 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£308.59 @ More Computers)
Total: £1352.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 14:35 BST+0100

This drops the 1080 for a 1070ti (performs within about 5% of the 1080 and more than enough for 144hz)

Drops the 8 core ryzen for the 6 core (also 8 cores will be overkill for your needs here)

Swaps the freesync monitor for a Gsync one.  Price is pretty much identical to the build above.