GTX 1050 on Vista?

Aniallation

Has anyone ever tried running newer GPUs on Vista? I have had some luck using 7 drivers but on my personal PC I don't really feel like wiping and reinstalling to Vista, only to find out it doesn't work and then end up having to reinstall 10 again. 

And before people ask why I'd purposely choose to want to run Vista, I just really like how it looks. 

"Rawr XD"

You could just skin win 10 or 7 to look exactly like Vista, if looks is the only reason for you to install vista.

Not even gonna ask why, but virtual machines?

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

1 minute ago, Cruorzy said:

Not even gonna ask why, but virtual machines?

You'd need GPU passthrough for that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

You could just skin win 10 or 7 to look exactly like Vista, if looks is the only reason for you to install vista.

I don't have any problem using it, I use Vista daily on my laptop and it works great. Everyone says it's a resource hog, but I don't do anything that Vista's performance deficit causes a hindrance to me. I hate 10. Blocky, "apps" still don't blend well with the desktop UI, forced updates, etc.

"Rawr XD"

3 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

I don't have any problem using it, I use Vista daily on my laptop and it works great. Everyone says it's a resource hog, but I don't do anything that Vista's performance deficit causes a hindrance to me. 

Is this a pre build computer that came with Vista?  GTX 1050 would probably be pretty held back by the specs in that pc.  

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Is this a pre build computer that came with Vista?  GTX 1050 would probably be pretty held back by the specs in that pc.  

Technically came with 7, but drivers for the PC itself are available for Vista. It's an HP 8200 Elite SFF. The i7-2600 keeps up with the 1050 just fine, and the 16GB of RAM should be plenty.

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

it was considered resource hog back in the day when it was released in Late 2016 by people who had XP on their PC with 512mb DDR1 RAM and 1.8ghz single core processor, just like me :D
If your PC can run Windows 7/8/10 fine then Vista should be fine too.

That's just what I was thinking

"Rawr XD"

14 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

it was considered resource hog back in the day when it was released in Late 2016 by people who had XP on their PC with 512mb DDR1 RAM and 1.8ghz single core processor, just like me :D
If your PC can run Windows 7/8/10 fine then Vista should be fine too.

While that is true.  Windows 7 is pretty much a leaner version of Vista, and it's still supported for critical updates, so there's little need to actively go out of your way to put Vista on a machine.

In regards to the original question, I believe the success rate in doing that is pretty high (using 7 drivers on vista), but sometimes the nvidia installer will refuse to work if it's not detecting the right OS.  They're largely the same OS but some software may just refuse to run with it.

10 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Technically came with 7, but drivers for the PC itself are available for Vista. It's an HP 8200 Elite SFF. The i7-2600 keeps up with the 1050 just fine, and the 16GB of RAM should be plenty.

You definitely should have the drivers for it online: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc/5037931
(I'm almost sure Windows 10 would work fine as well with the 8 drivers)

I'd personally try to get an OS that's technically still supported.  Not a Vista hater, that's just what I would recommend from an IT perspective.

I'll also mention that making separate partitions is always an option if you need to 'test' a different windows installation without losing your vista install.  In some situations where I'm 'unsure' about driver compatibility, I like to do that instead of trying to make a backup or something.

I'd have to agree with Biggerboot on this one.  If the main sticking points of Vista over Win10 are the forced updates and the blocky look, why not just Skin Win7 to look like vista, and set the updates to whatever you please (and enjoy that you can still get security updates for at least another year+ before Microsoft shutters Win7 updates for good).

Windows 7 is still a perfectly nice OS and will continue to be until Microsoft abandons updating and securing it (from my IT-guy perspective).

37 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

You definitely should have the drivers for it online: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc/5037931
(I'm almost sure Windows 10 would work fine as well with the 8 drivers)

I'd personally try to get an OS that's technically still supported.  Not a Vista hater, that's just what I would recommend from an IT perspective.

Currently running Windows 10 right now, drivers aren't an issue, just not a fan.

6 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I'd have to agree with Biggerboot on this one.  If the main sticking points of Vista over Win10 are the forced updates and the blocky look, why not just Skin Win7 to look like vista, and set the updates to whatever you please (and enjoy that you can still get security updates for at least another year+ before Microsoft shutters Win7 updates for good).

I've tried this, but no skins are really available to really replicate the looks of Vista. All the smooth antialiased edges, aero glass, obnoxious shine, animations, etc. that made Vista so demanding to run in the first place are what I find aesthetically pleasing about it. Now that everyone has PCs that are able to run it smoothly, driver support has been dropped. Not really concerned about security updates. 

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, Aniallation said:

Everyone says it's a resource hog

It was a resource hog back in its day, but I'm pretty sure nowadays Windows 10 can command more from the system now.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Checking nVidia's site, it mentions a listed of supported Operating Systems, and as far as Windows goes, it appears to be Windows 7 ~ 10 .

Also, nVidia does not supply Windows Vista compatible drivers for the 1000 series.

I'm surprised Windows 8 (not 8.1, 8)  still gets the latest driver support.

I thought there was a PSA initiative to abandon that horrid....thing.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

• 9 months later...

I have luck with Windows 7's 372.70 driver. It works very well but it doesn't recognizes DirectX games. Altrough, OpenGL and older cards works with no issues.

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2018 at 1:07 AM, -rascal- said:

Checking nVidia's site, it mentions a listed of supported Operating Systems, and as far as Windows goes, it appears to be Windows 7 ~ 10 .

Also, nVidia does not supply Windows Vista compatible drivers for the 1000 series.

I'm surprised Windows 8 (not 8.1, 😎 still gets the latest driver support.

I thought there was a PSA initiative to abandon that horrid....thing.

stop calling it nVidia it’s not apple goddamit