How to Format/Erase a seagate external hard drive beyond recovery on MacOS???

Clueless_Gamer

How to Format/Erase a seagate external hard drive beyond recovery on MacOS???

is there anyone ways I could wipeout a seagate external hard drive beyond recovery?

also.. I have a OnePlus 5t that I would like to wipeout beyond recovery of any of the files on the phone. 

Thank You

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why do you want to wipe them "beyond recovery"?

He probably means overwriting with 0s multiple times so data can't be recovered from it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nuke the drive into Oblivion!!!!!! But if you want to be unrecoverable, just smash it. But if you want to still be able to use it, but erase everything, I've heard of this program called Dban: https://dban.org/. But see what else someone recommends.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

He probably means overwriting with 0s multiple times so data can't be recovered from it.

So like, just formatting over and over again?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

So like, just formatting over and over again?

No not really, formatting doesn't overwrite any data it just deletes the pointers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No not really, formatting doesn't overwrite any data it just deletes the pointers.

So disk formatting will (if not choosing quick format) will wipe almost all the data, it will not be able to hit some sectors, but will get 99.99999% of it.

For a PC and HDD I recommend using Darik's Boot and Nuke.

If it is a SED HDD or SSD you can use the proper tool to wipe the encryption keys which renders the data inaccessible.

On a mobile phone you are limited to the Factory Reset option to wipe the device, which isn't perfect.

11 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

So disk formatting will (if not choosing quick format) will wipe almost all the data, it will not be able to hit some sectors, but will get 99.99999% of it.

I don't think you understand.

Formatting will wipe the data (unlike quick formatting which is what 99% of people do which just deletes the info about location of files) but overwriting is specifically going over all the data with 0s multiple times.

You can recover pretty much everything even if a drive is formatted, which is why people who want to completely wipe a drive will do between 3 and 10 overwrites, or sometimes even more.

Simple tools like ccleaner can overwrite entire drives as many times as you want it to.

However, all partitions should be deleted and recombined in disk management first in order to get all locations.

Spoiler