Lan Cable thingy.. For the wall? [Idk, Help me]

K i a r a

So,

My Mother, works from home for an Insurance company - Due to her having personal information, They *Must* be wired connected

(Most people dont.. but she dosnt want to be the one that out of nowhere she gets hacked, due to not being wired connected and gets in trouble)    

So - We have or Router in the Living room, That is what Rogers said would be the best option, Because if we have it upstairs, the basement would not get Wifi. 

So, While she is at work, at Home 3 days a week, We have like a 50 foot Cable, running from our living room. alll the way up out steps, to the ofice, for her to get the wired connection.

Would something like this work? or not.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_6tb0ht5z12_e

To plug into the Office and just use a short wire from the wall into the computer?

Thanks.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

If you're not in an apartment/shared residence, it should be extremely secure.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

6 minutes ago, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

If you're not in an apartment/shared residence, it should be extremely secure.

idek, Its not my choice, They require everyone to wire connect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

26 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

idek, Its not my choice, They require everyone to wire connect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

31 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

So,

My Mother, works from home for an Insurance company - Due to her having personal information, They *Must* be wired connected

(Most people dont.. but she dosnt want to be the one that out of nowhere she gets hacked, due to not being wired connected and gets in trouble)    

So - We have or Router in the Living room, That is what Rogers said would be the best option, Because if we have it upstairs, the basement would not get Wifi. 

So, While she is at work, at Home 3 days a week, We have like a 50 foot Cable, running from our living room. alll the way up out steps, to the ofice, for her to get the wired connection.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_6tb0ht5z12_e

To plug into the Office and just use a short wire from the wall into the computer?

Thanks.

Power line adapters work surprisingly well (most of the time).  However, if the concern is security, they really aren't any more or less secure than wifi.  There is leakage back down the power line.  Various studies have shown that the signals can be detect well enough to connect up to several houses away (depending on the system); this is why the signals are encrypted (the unit you linked requires pressing a pairing button to set the security).  There is some security in obscurity: most people interested in hacking your network are just looking for free internet and will be using wifi.

If you do use this type of device, know that most issues occur when people try to use the device on different phases.  Specifically: most homes have two different phases going into their house.  Most electrical breaker panels have two power buses, one on each phase.  If one adapter is in an outlet on one phase, and the other is in an outlet on the other phase, then the signal between the two can be quite weak (is dependent on the bleed through the neutral bus).  So, if your breaker panel is well labelled you can avoid a problem by making sure both adapters are on breakers that are on the same side of the panel (same bus).

@NoRomanBatmansAllowed posted the above while I was typing this, so that video may already address some of these things. (I can't watch the video where I am.)

2 hours ago, K i a r a said:

So,

Thanks.

If your in a house by your self they should. Power line adapters can be hit or miss when it comes to them actually working. As their performance is based on the quality of the wiring in your home and the distance the signal has to travel. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

to overly Simplify things...

Power line might actually make it easier to hack your connection. Wifi? needs a password (or knowledge of Kali linux -> don't actually need network hacking skills if you can point and click your way to the password).

Power Line, hacker gets adaptor, plugs into an external power point on your house, they are now considered to be 'authenticated' on your local network.

Ethernet, same as powerline, but typically homes don't have external ethernet ports.

If you're wanting to protect from physical network intrusions you need something like port security (on the switch/router) and a Network Protection Server on the network. As this is also a 'home/non-professional' solution your limited to layers 1-3 on your local connection, so it's still possible to 'hack' your connection.

Only way your going to get any sort of actual security is to get a private line to the company HQ.

38 minutes ago, Blake said:

to overly Simplify things...

Power line might actually make it easier to hack your connection. Wifi? needs a password (or knowledge of Kali linux -> don't actually need network hacking skills if you can point and click your way to the password).

Power Line, hacker gets adaptor, plugs into an external power point on your house, they are now considered to be 'authenticated' on your local network.

Ethernet, same as powerline, but typically homes don't have external ethernet ports.

If you're wanting to protect from physical network intrusions you need something like port security (on the switch/router) and a Network Protection Server on the network. As this is also a 'home/non-professional' solution your limited to layers 1-3 on your local connection, so it's still possible to 'hack' your connection.

Only way your going to get any sort of actual security is to get a private line to the company HQ.

Firstly I do agree to an extent. An external power outlet could be a security issue. BUT some homes do have external Ethernet. They are used for IP camera's I know a guy locally who installs them for both businesses and residential customers. And you could jack in to one of those in order to gain access. The proper way to stop this is the use VLAN's from what I have seen, but then you need to know how to setup VLAN's and managed switches that have that option.  

Also, many companies use VPN's to connect places. Such as offices across the country. VPN's create a secure encrypted tunnel and to my knowledge are fairly safe. At the bare min, the OP's mom should be using a VPN to gain access to the companies servers. If thats not the case then the company needs to be sued and close the fuck down. 

To further add, due to the security issues found in WPA last year many companies probably cant trust WIFI as much. I mean, not all routers got the update, which is the reason I bought a new router recently to ensure that my network was secure. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

Most newer powerline adapters actually require authentication, so it isn't really a problem anymore.

Spoiler