Don't know if I applied thermal paste correctly

Go to solution Solved by Rainbow Dash,

Well you don't want too much and you don't want too little. But if your temperatures are not close to 105C under load then you will be fine, maybe around 60C should be right for non overclocked.

So I got an arctic freezer 33 exports edition for my ryzen 5 2400g and when putting on the cooler after applying thermal paste some of the thermal paste seeped out one of the sides of where the heat pipes were on the cooler. However in the other side you couldn't see any thermal paste coming out the other side. I'm wondering if it's really uneven enough to affect temperatures and if there is any cpu temperatures i can compare them to for making sure it's okay if I need to restart

For any Ryzen Chip you should apply a rice-pea size blob of thermal compound, personally though I like to pre-spread the paste across the chip.

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

Well you don't want too much and you don't want too little. But if your temperatures are not close to 105C under load then you will be fine, maybe around 60C should be right for non overclocked.

A photo would make it easier for us. A piece of rice amount should be fine.

hi.

If it was just a small amount that came out, it's probably fine. How did you apply the paste and how much?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

27 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Thanks, I just needed to know so I can see if I really needed to restart with my cpu cooler or if I am over thinking it, gonna keep this in mind when completing my build and testing it out

As long as your thermal paste isn't conductive, little bit too much is better than too little.

To much and it will just squeeze out on the outside of the cpu, and it's only a problem if it's conductive. Temps will be just fine.

To little and the temps will be worse.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking