How to tell your parents you want to buy a pc?

Random_User123
Go to solution Solved by njmyers3,

Do you currently have a PC or not?

If your dad and brother are also into PCs you can just say that you've been wanting a (new?) PC and you think it would be fun to build one. They will probably understand and agree with you. I just told my parents that it was cheaper to build a PC than buy and they were fine with it.

First of all, my mom and dad are fine with it.
My dad himself built his own pc and my brother also built one not so long ago.
Do I just say like "Hey mom can I buy this" or what?

Yes.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

If your dad and brother are also into PCs you can just say that you've been wanting a (new?) PC and you think it would be fun to build one. They will probably understand and agree with you. I just told my parents that it was cheaper to build a PC than buy and they were fine with it.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

If your parents are fine with it, then I don't see the problem at all.

Simply ask politely if you can buy the PC. There is nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

I have a laptop currently. 

Start saving up for it. Earn some cash doing some odd jobs. If you are on summer holidays (America) then you can spend your time earning some money in your local suburb mowing lawns, washing cars, walking dogs, etc. Or if you're old enough a part time job at a super market or fast food outlet would be good.

Tell your brother/father that you are hoping to save up some money to buy one, and ask for their help selecting what parts to use. If you have a plan of what you want to build with what parts and a rough idea of how much it will cost, it might help motivate you while you're out working for it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Do you not converse with your parents? Seems like a pretty simple request.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Do you not converse with your parents? Seems like a pretty simple request.

My dad lives in a different country and my mom works throughout the day.

"Dear maternal and paternal figures, I wish to partake in the event of interacting with moving visual images on a panel filled with switching red, green and blue LEDs. In other words, I need a microprocessor fitted piece of machinery that will allow me to run both 32bit and 64bit programming made by multi million dollar 'studios' of sorts. Furthermore I was looking into your support, as my paternal figure and full blood brother have also been using such machinery for a while."

/s

Or just talk to them like you usually would and tell them you would like a PC. As you didn't tell us if you expect your parents to pay for it, I don't know what to further add to this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My answer is not going to question instead I will tell you my story back in year 1997 or so when I was in high school.

My first computer was an Intel 486-DX2 at 66 mhz.  It doesn't even have a Pentium processor in it.  One of my good friend had a spare Pentium computer and he lend his spare computer to me for about 1/2 year.  Back in the days, computer was a luxury item so my father and I would share the computer.  He would go online via America Online during evening to read some news and check the stock market and I would use the computer in the afternoon and after his usage in the evening.

After I returned my computer to my friend and re-connect the old Intel 486 computer.  My father immediately noticed the difference in performance.  The next weekend we headed to Best Buy and bought a better computer.

Once you have a taste of a faster computer, you would never go back to a slower computer. 

For answering your question.  Just tell your parents why you need a new computer.  Would it increase your productivity?

1 hour ago, beyonddc said:

My answer is not going to question instead I will tell you my story back in year 1997 or so when I was in high school.

My first computer was an Intel 486-DX2 at 66 mhz.  It doesn't even have a Pentium processor in it.  One of my good friend had a spare Pentium computer and he lend his spare computer to me for about 1/2 year.  Back in the days, computer was a luxury item so my father and I would share the computer.  He would go online via America Online during evening to read some news and check the stock market and I would use the computer in the afternoon and after his usage in the evening.

After I returned my computer to my friend and re-connect the old Intel 486 computer.  My father immediately noticed the difference in performance.  The next weekend we headed to Best Buy and bought a better computer.

Once you have a taste of a faster computer, you would never go back to a slower computer. 

For answering your question.  Just tell your parents why you need a new computer.  Would it increase your productivity?

c8TUwwN.gif /jk

Just say, mum...dad. I want to build a computer like [insert brothers name here] and dad did, can you buy the parts so I can build it please?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!