Setting up my own web server using raspberry Pi. Is this a good idea?

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

oh... I see. how does digital ocean compares to vultr and such? 

Umm not sure. They are a pretty good provider. Great for developers. They aren't quite at the level of Amazon Ec2 but close. I like them they are easy to use and have native FreeBSD support, so that is a bonus for me if I need to test something. They also write guides for the community.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

1 minute ago, jde3 said:

Umm not sure. They are a pretty good provider. Great for developers. They aren't quite at the level of Amazon Ec2 but close. I like them they are easy to use and have native FreeBSD support, so that is a bonus for me if I need to test something. They also write guides for the community.

I see. Could you explain a bit more the diff between hosting on heroku than on a VPS server?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

21 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. Could you explain a bit more the diff between hosting on heroku than on a VPS server?? 

I'm not familiar with them. We got kind of a cultural gap I think as I'm in the US so I'm more use to services here. I checked out their website and I can't exactly tell what products they provide.. but they look like a provider similar to Joyent's Triton platform. I'm not sure if they sell straight VPS's or not. if it's free check it out and let me know. In my experience free usually comes with other costs though.

6 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Recently I found this site, https://www.taniarascia.com/developing-a-wordpress-theme-from-scratch/ which just shows how can I transfer my front end design to a wordpress theme. Then build from there. If I choose "one click install wordpress " option in digital ocean droplet, can I do this? 

So that I can add different pages easily into my site, then add post/comment section easily and such.

3 minutes ago, jde3 said:

I'm not familiar with them. We got kind of a cultural gap I think as I'm in the US so I'm more use to services here. I checked out their website and I can't exactly tell what products they provide.. but they look like a provider similar to Joyent's Trident platform. I'm not sure if they sell straight VPS's or not. if it's free check it out and let me know. In my experience free usually comes with other costs though.

I think that day I listened to Syntax podcast wesbos said the "free" server you get is normally in sleeping mode. Unless someone visit your site. 

So the 1st person visit your site is gonna get a few seconds of delay cos the server is "waking up." or something like that.

That's why they can keep it "free".

If I understand correctly, that's what wesbos said.

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Recently I found this site, https://www.taniarascia.com/developing-a-wordpress-theme-from-scratch/ which just shows how can I transfer my front end design to a wordpress theme. Then build from there. If I choose "one click install wordpress " option in digital ocean droplet, can I do this? 

So that I can add different pages easily into my site, then add post/comment section easily and such.

I believe so.. I've never used the Digital Ocean one click install before but I think it installs an Ubuntu Droplet pre-configured to run Wordpress. The thing about a VPS as opposed to a hosting provider is that you will have to maintain the server as well. For a lot of people like me thats a good thing. But for people who are unfamiliar with this it can be a problem.

Digital Ocean would be exactly like giving them your Pi and having them run it for you. You'll get a SSH key and a Virtual Console to log into the system just like you would with a Virtual Machine you were running at home.

So you'll have the ability to install any software you want on that.. That is a good thing for web developers because you can choose what versions of PHP you are running etc.

The downside is you'll have to upgrade your host yourself and maintain it's patches.

Just now, jde3 said:

So you'll have the ability to install any software you want on that.. That is a good thing for web developers because you can choose what versions of PHP you are running etc.

The downside is you'll have to upgrade your host yourself and maintain it's patches.

I see. I will give it a try sometimes. If I have any questions I will message you or reply here. 

Thanks!!!!

Ya Heroku, looking more at it.. its a container platform. it's exactly like Triton. You get a jail not a VPS. (there are some similarities)

It looks pretty cool actually but not sure if it's what you want.