Recommendations on Gaming PC

Hello this is my first gaming pc that I'm building for a school project and I wanted some advice on how to go about this. I've done some research on the RPGs  I wanted to play on steam and it's recommended that I have NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. I was planning on using core i5 processor but when I saw that it might bottleneck with those two components so I swapped to an i7 instead to make it more even but with the build I have rn currently it reaches about $1500 when I was planning on $1200 (most) $1000 (recommended) and another problem with that is I don't have a keyboard or mouse into the build yet.  I don't plan on doing any video editing or streams so I've learned that I don't need such a powerful processor. I've tried creating various builds on partpicker but I'm worried that I'm putting to much money into parts that I won't need or if I spend less I won't get the performance I need or an imbalanced system. 

Current Build 

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooling: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Intel - Pro 5400s 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and Seagate - Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card

Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Monitor: Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor

If you want I could put the link to this part list but I figured it would be easier for people to just read my post rather than opening an additional link. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

That rosewill cooler is garb better off spending 30 to get a better one. get 2x8GB sticks instead of one 16. i would get a 1060 instead of the 1050ti if you can wiggle around a bit.

Hi

That is unbalanced imo as you have a high end cpu and low end gpu. I would drop down to something like an i5 8400 and B360 or go Ryzen. Then spend a bit more on the gpu i.e GTX 1060 or above depending on prices.

Also why a single stick of ram ? 

Can't remember if that psu is one of the good/bad evga ones. Someone else can comment on that.

Oh and that case is pretty old and you don't need a full tower for that setup.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Can't remember if that psu is one of the good/bad evga ones. Someone else can comment on that.

Serious issues with its OPP/OCP, sort of a fire hazard. 

:)

2 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

That rosewill cooler is garb better off spending 30 to get a better one. get 2x8GB sticks instead of one 16. i would get a 1060 instead of the 1050ti if you can wiggle around a bit.

Agreed, you also would save a few hundred using the 8th gen i3. Especially when it is paired with the 1060, you'll have plenty of horsepower to work with and you'd be hard-pressed to find a game it couldn't run.

I had one stick because the motherboard was capable of having 64 gb of ram but I can understand that I should just go for 2 sticks of 8gb since I'll probably never use 64 gb of ram

3 minutes ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

I had one stick because the motherboard was capable of having 64 gb of ram but I can understand that I should just go for 2 sticks of 8gb since I'll probably never use 64 gb of ram

if you ever need 64 gb RAM then you're doing some serious company work and you would already have the money to buy all 64 gigs of RAM at once......................

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

if you ever need 64 gb RAM then you're doing some serious company work and you would already have the money to buy all 64 gigs of RAM at once......................

Thanks now I know I will never need 64 gigs 

3 minutes ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Thanks now I know I will never need 64 gigs 

For gaming 16GB is fine. With 4 ram slots you could still have 32GB but I doubt you would need it before your system is obsolete.

13 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Agreed, you also would save a few hundred using the 8th gen i3. Especially when it is paired with the 1060, you'll have plenty of horsepower to work with and you'd be hard-pressed to find a game it couldn't run.

I've swapped it out for Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor, I would go with your reccomendation but the rpgs I do plan on playing reccomend an i5 processor at 3.3 GHz

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.55 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($160.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: MyDigitalSSD - SBX 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($95.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG - 24MP59G-P 23.8" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($136.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1174.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 17:35 EDT-0400

Another effort to save money is to get windows for like $20 from SCDkey or something like that

I know it's one gen older but while waiting for B450 a Ryzen 5 1600 can still game and stream casually (it's like that sweetspot)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

27 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Hi

That is unbalanced imo as you have a high end cpu and low end gpu. I would drop down to something like an i5 8400 and B360 or go Ryzen. Then spend a bit more on the gpu i.e GTX 1060 or above depending on prices.

Also why a single stick of ram ? 

Oh and that case is pretty old and you don't need a full tower for that setup.

Okay I was told to get a full tower if I plan on upgrading on the future but I will go with a mid tower thanks 

4 minutes ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Okay I was told to get a full tower if I plan on upgrading on the future but I will go with a mid tower thanks 

Only reason to go full tower would be if you needed room for a custom loop or you planned on an SLI/CF setup. For a single gpu a mid tower is fine. I would suggest something like a Fractal Design Meshify or Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG. 

18 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Only reason to go full tower would be if you needed room for a custom loop or you planned on an SLI/CF setup. For a single gpu a mid tower is fine. I would suggest something like a Fractal Design Meshify or Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG. 

Do you think the Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P ATX Mid Tower Case would be fine? I really like the design for it, I'll check out the other two though thanks.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a power supply, the one I have selected had good reviews but I have more faith with the infomration here so I will swap it out sometime. I also need a good cooler for Intel - Core i5-8600K so any thoughts on these two parts would be nice. 

38 minutes ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Do you think the Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P ATX Mid Tower Case would be fine? I really like the design for it, I'll check out the other two though thanks.

If you like it then yeah. The two I suggested are just ones that I like, but we all have different tastes :)

So I've been researching and have found a cooler that is supposedly compatible Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler and a power supply SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. I would like some feedback to see if these would be okay. It looks like the build is almost ready

Just now, Dragonuser2000 said:

So I've been researching and have found a cooler that is supposedly compatible Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler and a power supply SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. I would like some feedback to see if these would be okay. It looks like the buiild is almost ready

The 212 performs poorly compared to its price and size. For a low end cooler, just to replace the stock one, not for overclocking, there's the M9i/a or the Pure Rock Slim. 

The M12 II is ancient and way overpriced. With a 1050 Ti system you're looking at under 200W during load, just get a good 450W PSU, like the Focus Gold or Formula. For budget units, the Masterwatt 450/550W or grey CX/M. 

:)

2 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.55 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($160.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: MyDigitalSSD - SBX 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($95.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG - 24MP59G-P 23.8" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($136.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1174.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 17:35 EDT-0400

Another effort to save money is to get windows for like $20 from SCDkey or something like that

I know it's one gen older but while waiting for B450 a Ryzen 5 1600 can still game and stream casually (it's like that sweetspot)

Is this a lot better than I have right now? It is tempting because it is cheaper and seems to have similar specs like the processor but I feel I'd be tossing all the work I did if I just copied this build. 

I think this is the build that I plan on doing with edits and recommendations received by you guys 

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Storage: Intel - Pro 5400s 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and Seagate - Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

It ended up being $1353.05 but it's still an improvement to what I had and for that I'm grateful I'm still taking some time to improve it for price so any advice would be appreciated thanks otherwise this is probably what I will be going with. 

3 hours ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Hello this is my first gaming pc that I'm building for a school project and I wanted some advice on how to go about this. I've done some research on the RPGs  I wanted to play on steam and it's recommended that I have NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. I was planning on using core i5 processor but when I saw that it might bottleneck with those two components so I swapped to an i7 instead to make it more even but with the build I have rn currently it reaches about $1500 when I was planning on $1200 (most) $1000 (recommended) and another problem with that is I don't have a keyboard or mouse into the build yet.  I don't plan on doing any video editing or streams so I've learned that I don't need such a powerful processor. I've tried creating various builds on partpicker but I'm worried that I'm putting to much money into parts that I won't need or if I spend less I won't get the performance I need or an imbalanced system. 

Current Build 

If you want I could put the link to this part list but I figured it would be easier for people to just read my post rather than opening an additional link. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Why would you get a bronze psu when there are EVGA literally EVGA psu's gold rated at 550 to 650 watts fully modular for 80 bucks. Seriously open your eyes a bit man. 

AND holy shit 1300 for that.......all that. God damn you really do need to find better parts. I got a 144hz 1080p (high to medium) gaming rig for 840 bucks couple months ago. You better not be paying 1300 bucks for something that won't hit even close to 144 hz on high settings. For instance the 3gb 1060 the fuck u thinking mate that cards trash and its neutered on its vram. Get a 580 8gb for 280 easy. 

Another easy fix get a 2600 for 180 and a 80 mobo instead of the crap overpriced intel chip. Ya its got a 10-15% fps boost but thats when you have a good overall rig. This is not so its actually hindering your fps in this case. 

And I thought 840 was expensive shit, I got a deal when I researched my PC's parts. You should do the same man, isn't that hard.

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

1 hour ago, TheReal1st said:

Why would you get a bronze psu when there are EVGA literally EVGA psu's gold rated at 550 to 650 watts fully modular for 80 bucks. Seriously open your eyes a bit man. 

AND holy shit 1300 for that.......all that. God damn you really do need to find better parts. I got a 144hz 1080p (high to medium) gaming rig for 840 bucks couple months ago. You better not be paying 1300 bucks for something that won't hit even close to 144 hz on high settings. For instance the 3gb 1060 the fuck u thinking mate that cards trash and its neutered on its vram. Get a 580 8gb for 280 easy. 

Another easy fix get a 2600 for 180 and a 80 mobo instead of the crap overpriced intel chip. Ya its got a 10-15% fps boost but thats when you have a good overall rig. This is not so its actually hindering your fps in this case. 

And I thought 840 was expensive shit, I got a deal when I researched my PC's parts. You should do the same man, isn't that hard.

Alright sorry, I should be doing better and I am a novice so I'm sorry that I'm not as experienced as you are. You're right I thought 1300 was expensive too, but when I see that so many "guides" have their pcs that cost more than 1000 maybe I was fine but I guess not.  I have been trying to research but even then I struggle with the information. If I wasn't struggling I wouldn't be asking for help on the forums. I'm happy that you built a great pc for only 840 and I wish I could do the same. Even so I'm thankful for your advice. 

I'll just give the link, so you can see the price

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KWjV4q

1 hour ago, TheReal1st said:

Still double the price of the CX550M since it's on sale. Not really needed either.

6 minutes ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Alright sorry, I should be doing better and I am a novice so I'm sorry that I'm not as experienced as you are. You're right I thought 1300 was expensive too, but when I see that so many "guides" have their pcs that cost more than 1000 maybe I was fine but I guess not.  I have been trying to research but even then I struggle with the information. If I wasn't struggling I wouldn't be asking for help on the forums. I'm happy that you built a great pc for only 840 and I wish I could do the same. Even so I'm thankful for your advice. 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.85 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card  ($459.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Kinguin Windows (search $20 Windows Paul Hardware) ($30.00)
Total: $1334.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 21:51 EDT-0400

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 hours ago, JDE said:

Still double the price of the CX550M since it's on sale. Not really needed either.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.85 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card  ($459.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Kinguin Windows (search $20 Windows Paul Hardware) ($30.00)
Total: $1334.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 21:51 EDT-0400

First:

He doesn't need a 47 dollar crap Cryorig cooler. A simple but perfectly good 212 Evo works fine...............Wait a second, unless he plans on doing some OCing like past the normal 4.1 ish OC. If you aren't going past the normal OC we all do for 24/7 use then just use stock cooler with the chip it works fine and saves u 30 bucks for somewhere else. 

Second:

Why does he need a GPU that is meant for 1440p 144hz gaming. Thats throwing money at a problem he doesn't have the money to fix. As in he ain't gonna buy 144hz 1440p monitors because they cost an ass load each STILL. 

Therefor get a RX580 8gb made for the budget of gaming hes after. And put the 190 ish saved into two average 75 hz monitors or a really good Asus 144hz 1080 panel ready to be added onto down the road. 

Third:

Why ON EARTH would he ever get that trash ass 30 case. I can just feel the quality leaking out from it cant you. xDlmao cute man

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

7 hours ago, Dragonuser2000 said:

Its fine man really, your off to a good start and thats the important bit. You got some good things in your parts list. But this is much better, objectively speaking for price to performance right now. 

Ok heres a good list @Dragonuser2000:\

heres the Win 10 OS site too

here Parts list

I put two monitors on there. You can get the cheap 180 one thats a damn good IPS panel for the price or you can get a (TN panel) gaming monitor for 300. FYI IPS panels are good for viewing angles, color accuracy, and other proffesional crap. But TN panels are for gaming cause the refresh rate on them is a lot higher and much cheaper too. But they don't have the best color accuracy. So pick your poison of which one you want. 

You can change the case to the h500p mesh version if you'd like it is a nice case to be honest. But the non mesh version is trash for air flow and PC's need airflow to breath. So I'd say get the meshify C or if you don't like the look, find another under 100 dollar case that has a mesh front. And you will be good.  But the other core components don't change, just sift through them and get those that are at a pretty low price now. For instance the 580 is 20 bucks off now so get that, and so on with the other parts. 

Good luck mate

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz