Digital Downloads and Xbox Play Anywhere

So We Happy Few is coming out in the coming months and it's a game that both my wife and I would like to play, but I don't want to buy it twice if I don't have to. I play games almost exclusively on the PC and she plays almost exclusively on the Xbox One. If I buy We Happy Few as an Xbox Access Anywhere digital download, I can then download it both on the PC and the Xbox. Would my wife then be able to sign into her account and play the game as herself?

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

I can partially answer this question.

You'll need to buy the Xbox One Digital Version and this will give you the game on Xbox One and PC.

As for playing on different accounts, this is where it might get complicated.

First, you'll need to buy it on the account that you also use to access the Windows Store on PC, otherwise it wont appear in the Windows Store for you.

On the second point of her playing on her account, to my knowledge (although I don't use it) Xbox allows friends and family sharing on the same Xbox, so if it's on one account it's available to the others? So my guess is, if you bought it on your account, she would then be able to switch and play it.

As one caveat, I don't know if you'll be able to play at the same time. I've not tried this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on all of this can chime in.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

8 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

I can partially answer this question.

You'll need to buy the Xbox One Digital Version and this will give you the game on Xbox One and PC.

As for playing on different accounts, this is where it might get complicated.

First, you'll need to buy it on the account that you also use to access the Windows Store on PC, otherwise it wont appear in the Windows Store for you.

On the second point of her playing on her account, to my knowledge (although I don't use it) Xbox allows friends and family sharing on the same Xbox, so if it's on one account it's available to the others? So my guess is, if you bought it on your account, she would then be able to switch and play it.

As one caveat, I don't know if you'll be able to play at the same time. I've not tried this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on all of this can chime in.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, but I just wasn't sure enough...and I want to be sure before spending however much on a new game! (Though it may well be cheaper to buy two copies game via different shops at release, but I'm keeping my options open.)

If you're planning on playing together then you'll each need your own digital copy.  

She can play your copy by herself just fine on the xbox as it would be the home console (all accounts on it would be able to access it) but as soon as you launch it on your PC it will only allow you to play your license on one device at a time.

20 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

If you're planning on playing together then you'll each need your own digital copy.  

She can play your copy by herself just fine on the xbox as it would be the home console (all accounts on it would be able to access it) but as soon as you launch it on your PC it will only allow you to play your license on one device at a time.

Good to know, cheers. I didn't think of that.

No problem.  That's exactly how my wife and I play Gears of War 4.  

If you're signed in on one platform then try signing onto another, the game will prompt you that you're signing on 2 devices and will let you choose if you sign off the other device.

Xbox play anywhere has been great.  My wife likes the console experience, I like playing mouse and keyboard on my 144hz.  We all win.

2 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I like playing mouse and keyboard on my 144hz.  I win.

Fixed this for you :)

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

8 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Fixed this for you :)

Haha yes.

We play with another online couple and they play console as well.  My score tends to be a little higher than everyones thanks to keyboard and mouse, haha.

I routinely hear, "stop taking my kill!"