Should I trust an AIO Water cooler?

Hi there,

I do believe people have posted stuff like this, but I cannot find much. I will be purchasing a new Computer in the coming days, and it comes with an H55 water cooler. I've seen so many posts about leaky water coolers, and destroyed computers. Should I be trusting this stuff, or should I go with air cooling?

Honestly, you should buy an air cooler instead of an AIO liquid cooler. Air coolers outperform liquid coolers and they're honestly way too underrated. 

2 minutes ago, iCoolp said:

Should I be trusting this stuff, or should I go with air cooling?

Go with air cooling

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

5 minutes ago, iCoolp said:

Hi there,

I do believe people have posted stuff like this, but I cannot find much. I will be purchasing a new Computer in the coming days, and it comes with an H55 water cooler. I've seen so many posts about leaky water coolers, and destroyed computers. Should I be trusting this stuff, or should I go with air cooling?

Aio if you don't need it to last more than 3-5 years. Air if you want it to last longer than that.

4 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Honestly, you should buy an air cooler instead of an AIO liquid cooler. Air coolers outperform liquid coolers and they're honestly way too underrated. 

Go with air cooling

Not all air coolers outperform aios. Some can.

7 minutes ago, iCoolp said:

Hi there,

The h55 is pretty crap tbh. I would get a evo 212 over that thing tbh. 

1 minute ago, H20Burner said:

Aio if you don't need it to last more than 3-5 years. Air if you want it to last longer than that.

Not all air coolers outperform aios. Some can.

High end aio are worth it but lower end ones are not.

AIOs are pretty reliable - the only thing that fails (unless tampered with) is the pump - which dies with old age. You've probably heard about leaks from custom loop (this is where you assemble the whole cooling loop yourself).

In any regard, as @r2724r16 said - for the majority of people, air-cooling is more applicable. If you were to go with a cooler like the Noctua D15, you'd get better temperatures than the H55 with the additional benefit that air coolers have one less point of failure; for fans can be replaced while an AIO pump cannot.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

The h55 is pretty crap tbh. I would get a evo 212 over that thing tbh. 

I agree, unless you're getting a 240mm or bigger AIO you should stick to air cooling.

poop

Love my AIO.  Easier than air cooling.  Smaller, and performance is reliable.  More reliable than  air cooling.   Theres some guy on you tube that does excellent technical reviews and really dives into AIOs.  Youll find him, he has long hair.

14 minutes ago, iCoolp said:

I've seen so many posts about leaky water coolers, and destroyed computers. Should I be trusting this stuff, or should I go with air cooling?

If you're questioning the trust of an AIO, you're probably best using air cooling. I was the same as you, I was thinking of an NZXT Kraken X52 but I couldn't afford to have it leak onto my stuff, so I opted for a Hyper 212 for now.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, GizmoAT said:

Love my AIO.  Easier than air cooling.  Smaller, and performance is reliable.  More reliable than  air cooling.   Theres some guy on you tube that does excellent technical reviews and really dives into AIOs.  Youll find him, he has long hair.

You're thinking of "Tech-Jesus" ( Steve Burke) from Gamers Nexux.

Regardless, I have to disagree with your "reliability" statement. AIOs have more points of failure (the pump) and aren't easily replaceable, so I'd claim they're less reliable.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, GizmoAT said:

I would say easier is really up to interpretation. I mean mounting a rad isn't exactly easier than mounting an air cooler. Honestly some air coolers have really easy install methods and some have awful ones. The one thing that air coolers have over aio is that they are simpler and don't break nearly as easy and when they do it's likely just a fan and is completely fixable. A dead pump can't really be fixed like a dead fan. On the other hand aio coolers tend to run fans at lower rpms making quieter. Each has its benefit the. 

14 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

You're thinking of "Tech-Jesus" ( Steve Burke) from Gamers Nexux.

Regardless, I have to disagree with your "reliability" statement. AIOs have more points of failure (the pump) and aren't easily replaceable, so I'd claim they're less reliable.

Having more points of failure doesn't make them less reliable. It just might make it more catastrophic or provide more of an impact if something does fail.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

30 minutes ago, GizmoAT said:

"More reliable" even though the pump can fail, the pipes/radiator can crack leaving you with damaged hardware, the only thing air cooling can do is a fan fail which won't damage you hardware and fans can fail on AIO. 

The Dude with long hair is Steve Burke, his channel is Gamers Nexus.

Another question. I think most people on this forum live in Canada. The build I'm looking at comes from Canada computers. [Yes, its a prebuilt. Yell at me later] Would they replace the AIO with a fan cooler at no extra cost [other than the fan cooler itself] or is it gonna be that $80 charge they put on you for entire system builds.

49 minutes ago, iCoolp said:

Another question. I think most people on this forum live in Canada. The build I'm looking at comes from Canada computers. [Yes, its a prebuilt. Yell at me later] Would they replace the AIO with a fan cooler at no extra cost [other than the fan cooler itself] or is it gonna be that $80 charge they put on you for entire system builds.

It depends - I'd just ask them if I was you. Perhaps ask for an air-cooler of equal value.

The high end aios are fine if you install it right and don't touch it after that.The cheapo off brand ones stay far away from.Yeah a aio could leak but the chances are very slim if you leave it a lot.Most youtube tech people that say their aio leaked or pump died reused that aio on like 10 different motherboards.

The other thing to consider in this decision is RAM clearance - that is, if you use RAM with a really tall heat spreader and an air cooler with really low clearance, you're GONNA have a bad time.

I didn't want to deal with that hassle, nor did I want to go through the effort of building a custom loop, so I opted to go the AIO route. However, at the end of the day this is a question you must answer for yourself

If you have a problem letting others talk, then flying a plane is NOT the profession for you. Trust me; the Ground controller does not appreciate issuing instructions only for the result to be [BLOCKED]