Suggestions for a new phone?

Vibora

Hey, im planning on buying a new phone and my budget is around the 800$\

I would like an Android. Brands doesnt matter.

Please no iphones :)

More detail would help us give you recommendations, I think.

How do you intend to use it?  Do you put a lot of emphasis on the camera, screen size, speakers or battery life?  Do you have particular choices for carriers?  And crucially, how soon do you need to get it?

My general preference is for vendors that hew relatively closely to stock Android and promise quick updates (i.e. not Samsung), but I'd want to know what you're looking for in a device before giving you options.

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

More detail would help us give you recommendations, I think.

How do you intend to use it?  Do you put a lot of emphasis on the camera, screen size, speakers or battery life?  Do you have particular choices for carriers?  And crucially, how soon do you need to get it?

My general preference is for vendors that hew relatively closely to stock Android and promise quick updates (i.e. not Samsung), but I'd want to know what you're looking for in a device before giving you options.

Camera shouldnt be perfect, but a decent camera would be nice. I obviously would like a phone with a good battery life. Carriers isnt my problem since im not from the USA so..

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Hate to say it, but if you don't know what you want in a phone, get an iPhone

You already have a phone. What's wrong with it?

What do you like about it?

What are the things you want to lose?

What are the things you cannot afford to lose?

What are the things you wish was better?

What new features do you want?

How do you use your phone?

I had a OnePlus 3 and it broke and now I have a Meizu M2 Note which is bloody terrible.

I just would like a phone that has a good battery life, a decent camera as not the best one and generally that it would be strong in the matter of Hardware.

While this may or may not satisfy any particular need for specs (except that it runs on Android), I would like to suggest the Fairphone.

I'll just let you see for yourself what's so special about this phone.

1 hour ago, Vibora said:

Camera shouldnt be perfect, but a decent camera would be nice. I obviously would like a phone with a good battery life. Carriers isnt my problem since im not from the USA so..

I'm tempted to echo what huilun02 said and suggest a OnePlus 6.  It's pretty well-balanced with good battery life, you're familiar with the interface, and it easily falls within your budget.

A number of alternatives are out there, but tend to have something that would make me hesitate to recommend it.  The Pixel 2 XL is a bit old now, the S9 is the usual fast-but-bloated compromise, the G7 is good but has so-so battery life, the U12+ has those quirky side buttons... you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Shutset said:

While this may or may not satisfy any particular need for specs (except that it runs on Android), I would like to suggest the Fairphone.

I'll just let you see for yourself what's so special about this phone.

I don't want to be mean but... no, absolutely not.

I respect their commitments to ethical part sourcing and easy servicing, but the Fairphone 2 is using a processor and operating system that are a few years old.  If you think it's okay for the OP to take a large step backward in performance and open themselves up to major security exploits, then by all means, keep recommending it.  But all the conflict-free, easy-to-repair components in the world won't matter if you want to throw it out the moment you open the box.

This reminds me a bit of those FOSS advocates who recommend Linux to absolutely everybody, specific needs be damned.  The sheer level of devotion to ideological purity is admirable, but it quickly falls apart after contact with the real world.

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'm tempted to echo what huilun02 said and suggest a OnePlus 6.  It's pretty well-balanced with good battery life, you're familiar with the interface, and it easily falls within your budget.

A number of alternatives are out there, but tend to have something that would make me hesitate to recommend it.  The Pixel 2 XL is a bit old now, the S9 is the usual fast-but-bloated compromise, the G7 is good but has so-so battery life, the U12+ has those quirky side buttons... you get the idea.

I actually had one problem with the OnePlus 3. The screen. It fell once and broke. Im not sure if the glass itself was shit or mine was defective. I have seen tests on the phone and it seemed to be pretty good yet mine somehow was shit

23 minutes ago, Vibora said:

I actually had one problem with the OnePlus 3. The screen. It fell once and broke. Im not sure if the glass itself was shit or mine was defective. I have seen tests on the phone and it seemed to be pretty good yet mine somehow was shit

I wouldn't worry too much in that case.  OnePlus is using many of the same materials as others and has a reputation for good (if unspectacular) builds, so that may just be a question of physics.  The one thing I'd do is get a case, but that's easy since OnePlus offers a few good options of its own.

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I wouldn't worry too much in that case.  OnePlus is using many of the same materials as others and has a reputation for good (if unspectacular) builds, so that may just be a question of physics.  The one thing I'd do is get a case, but that's easy since OnePlus offers a few good options of its own.

Yea I didnt have a glass screen protector.

If I buy a OnePlus 6, Ill buy Otterbox and a glass screen for sure.

3 hours ago, Vibora said:

Hate to break it to ya (no pun intended) but glass screens are prone to breaking if subject to a shock in just the right direction. I've had people drop their iPad from shoulder height onto concrete and not break the screen, and I've had people simply put down their iPad with slight force onto laminate (wooden) counter tops resulting in a completely shattered screen. Same goes for devices in Otterbox cases - glass can and will break on ANY device, so your best bet is to treat your electronics like you would a baby.

That being said, accidents do happen. You can prepare for this by either buying accidental warranty (from the manufacture or a third party like SquareTrade) or choosing not to buy it and instead putting aside a "device replacement fund" for the day when it wears out or has an accident.

As for a phone that meets your needs, I'd say if you can find a OnePlus 5T at a good price, get that, otherwise the OnePlus 6 will have to do. Both are great phones with arguably better software support than Google's Pixel lineup (assuming you're willing to custom ROM the phones when OnePlus considers them to be end-of-life) and have decent enough cameras too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, kirashi said:

Hate to break it to ya (no pun intended) but glass screens are prone to breaking if subject to a shock in just the right direction. I've had people drop their iPad from shoulder height onto concrete and not break the screen, and I've had people simply put down their iPad with slight force onto laminate (wooden) counter tops resulting in a completely shattered screen. Same goes for devices in Otterbox cases - glass can and will break on ANY device, so your best bet is to treat your electronics like you would a baby.

That being said, accidents do happen. You can prepare for this by either buying accidental warranty (from the manufacture or a third party like SquareTrade) or choosing not to buy it and instead putting aside a "device replacement fund" for the day when it wears out or has an accident.

As for a phone that meets your needs, I'd say if you can find a OnePlus 5T at a good price, get that, otherwise the OnePlus 6 will have to do. Both are great phones with arguably better software support than Google's Pixel lineup (assuming you're willing to custom ROM the phones when OnePlus considers them to be end-of-life) and have decent enough cameras too.

Is there a significant difference between the 5T and the 6?

I got my first OnePlus 6 about 2 weeks ago, and I couldn't be more happier with my choice!

Camera is great, the design is outstanding, the software (OxygenOS) is THE BEST, it has the headphone jack, and you can disable the botch if you don't like it.

So as of right now, I don't see any drawbacks.