JDS Labs O2+ ODAC + HD 700

Tech Lover
hi. i have saved some for this part of my rig upgrade, i mean the audio part.  i have sold my asus xonar stx which were tbh, very nice. my config is the onboard audio of Asus Maximus VI Hero which is like meh.... my headphones are the Sennheiser HD 518s which i loved for about 1.5 years now. 

now i want to switch to something nice. i have read some articles and seen some videos and found that there are some nice audio configs among which O2+ODAC are the best comparing anything out there.  i have got my HD 700s coming to me next month. 

so here is the deal. what o2 odac should i get? should i get the one from JDS Labs or should i get the one from Mayflower Electronic. i think both the products have the same technical specifications. 

but i guess only JDS Labs have the special engraving any image or message on top. and they do it free of charge and do it very neatly. here is an example.

anyhoo, what u guys suggest? i have choosen the Sennheiser HD 700s because of my loyalty and the NEAR perfect comfort of their headphones. i had no issues with my 518 other than the only one concern that its cup cloth were a bit too tight. only last week the right ear's cup cloth started coming off but i glued it back  B)

other than that i am 100% satisfied with every penny i spent on it. 

but this time im kinda nervous cause this would be my first huge investment on audio like this.i wanted to get the HD800 but they are out of my budget and i also dont want to wait to save more for them. also i have read the reviews people saying its bass is weak. 

my use case, well when ever im on my PC i put on the headphones. simple. and daily i use pc for like 6-8 hours. out of which i game a lot, listen to a lot of songs and also watch movies.

i want the best solution for audio now. i have almost 1000 US $. 

which one should i get? and also if there are people here who use HD700 or O2+ODAC guide me pls should i get this combo (HD 700 + O2 ODAC) or not? any other headphones which can actually beat HD 700s in this price range ($650)?

thanks

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

well i know mayflower hand builds all there dacs don't know if jds does also u have the support from a mayflower rep on this forum if u have any trouble ive heard nothing but great things about mayflower im sure @MayflowerElectronics and @ShearMe can give an informed decision.

All O2's are hand built.

Haven't heard HD 700's myself, but most people on this forum will say most "highend" headphones are overpriced for what you get.

well i know mayflower hand builds all there dacs don't know if jds does also u have the support from a mayflower rep on this forum if u have any trouble ive heard nothing but great things about mayflower im sure @MayflowerElectronics and @ShearMe can give an informed decision.

Don't tag me bro.

HD700's aren't that great.

We are the least expensive if that tickles your pickles, we also have more options/customization if that tickles your pickle.

Honestly, first of all, the HD600 is a better value than the 700.  Even with the HD700 at $649.

JDSLabs and Mayflower are building the exact same amp/dac to the exact same specs.  Get whichever one you'd like.

If this is your first BIG investment in audio I'd caution spending large amounts of money.  I'm a cautionary tale, not an example to follow.

want something nice to start out with?  How about a pair of HD558s and just use your onboard for now.  My guess?  It'll be a much better improvement than you think.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

How about a pair of HD558s and just use your onboard for now.  My guess?  It'll be a much better improvement than you think.

He's got HD518s now hasn't he?

Headset

want something nice to start out with?  How about a pair of HD558s and just use your onboard for now.  My guess?  It'll be a much better improvement than you think.

ahem...

my headphones are the Sennheiser HD 518s which i loved for about 1.5 years now. 

Having personal experience with the HD700/HD800's, I highly recommend that you look else where. B&W P7's are a fantastic headphone that makes a better listening experience then the likes of Sennheiser. If you are determined to spend $1000, LCD2's. 

ahem...

yeah, and he said he wants to stick with Sennheiser.  What's your point?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Lol he already has teh 518's.

oh? so 518 = 558 = 598 now too? interesting

Just spent about a week listening to the 518's, and they do sound pretty similar. 

yeah, and he said he wants to stick with Sennheiser.  What's your point?

You trollin bro?

You trollin bro?

No, I was giving an actual piece of advice.  If you think the 518 isn't much worse, then I'll modify my recommendation.  Keep what you got.

guys pls stop arguing.. i have had experience of listening to HD 650. tbh, im not an expert in audio. but i do appreciate great audio setup. just listening to a same FLAC file with mine 518s and then 650s i really found as if i was listening to some thing even better than my 518s. the base was like awesome and the sound stage was noticeably wider. 

so thats the reason why i m thinking of getting HD700

All O2's are hand built.

Haven't heard HD 700's myself, but most people on this forum will say most "highend" headphones are overpriced for what you get.

Don't tag me bro.

HD700's aren't that great.

We are the least expensive if that tickles your pickles, we also have more options/customization if that tickles your pickle.

mayflowerelectronics i guess u work for this company. it would be an honor to get help from u and other people like h264. i have no issue what so ever with price. i have been saving for like a year now just for getting a good pair of headphones and great audio source. i live in pakistan but i have one of my friend who lives in US and who can get this for me. i was just thinking if i can get a custom engraving that would be SEXY :D because i have not seen that on ur website like JDS labs have in the add to cart option. 

and also if u can pls help if 700s are not that good what other headphones are better in the price range of US $600-650???

Honestly, first of all, the HD600 is a better value than the 700.  Even with the HD700 at $649.

JDSLabs and Mayflower are building the exact same amp/dac to the exact same specs.  Get whichever one you'd like.

If this is your first BIG investment in audio I'd caution spending large amounts of money.  I'm a cautionary tale, not an example to follow.

brother i have listened to HD 650s and they are way superior to my HD 518s. as i have already said that.

i have ready ur review of o2 odac and i have read positive experience u had. then why saying i should still use the onboard?

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

HE-500's, AKG K712 pro's are much better options in the $600 range.

HE-500 are great but they dont look awesome -.-

No one will see, so whats the problem with that?

And you think the HD700's do? Looks are subjective, and who cares what it looks like. When it's on your head you can't see.

I'm sure HD 700 looks great until the paint starts chipping.

guys pls stop arguing.. i have had experience of listening to HD 650. tbh, im not an expert in audio. but i do appreciate great audio setup. just listening to a same FLAC file with mine 518s and then 650s i really found as if i was listening to some thing even better than my 518s. the base was like awesome and the sound stage was noticeably wider. 

so thats the reason why i m thinking of getting HD700

mayflowerelectronics i guess u work for this company. it would be an honor to get help from u and other people like h264. i have no issue what so ever with price. i have been saving for like a year now just for getting a good pair of headphones and great audio source. i live in pakistan but i have one of my friend who lives in US and who can get this for me. i was just thinking if i can get a custom engraving that would be SEXY :D because i have not seen that on ur website like JDS labs have in the add to cart option. 

and also if u can pls help if 700s are not that good what other headphones are better in the price range of US $600-650???

brother i have listened to HD 650s and they are way superior to my HD 518s. as i have already said that.

i have ready ur review of o2 odac and i have read positive experience u had. then why saying i should still use the onboard?

If money is no object there are definitely more expensive amp/dacs then the O2+ODAC, but it's not going to improve the quality in some mystically amazing way.  If you want high impedance headphones (aka older styled headphones) like the HD600 series, then you'll probably need something more powerful than onboard to get the volume LOUD, and an O2 would be worth it.  Not for HD500 series though since they are all low impedance.

HE-500's, AKG K712 pro's are much better options in the $600 range.

HE-500s if you find them for $650, agreed.  They are heavy though.  Sure you don't want a pair of HD650s or HD600s?

If money is no object there are definitely more expensive amp/dacs then the O2+ODAC, but it's not going to improve the quality in some mystically amazing way.  If you want high impedance headphones (aka older styled headphones) like the HD600 series, then you'll probably need something more powerful than onboard to get the volume LOUD, and an O2 would be worth it.  Not for HD500 series though since they are all low impedance.

HE-500s if you find them for $650, agreed.  They are heavy though.  Sure you don't want a pair of HD650s or HD600s?

as i have already told that im from pakistan. so getting these products is not easy for me. i have to get them imported. so i always try to get brand new box-pack sealed products. and HE-500 is more than my budget. cause i will have to pay for the duties and other taxes as well. thats one of the reason i like HD 700. their price has decreased, i love the ear cups, and love the sold build quality. i have read some reviews about HE-500 and they not having nice ear cups. they are very flimsy. 

as far as HD 600 or 650 are concerned, dont really need these cause i dont want to have the same design. i dont know if im able to explain my self here but i need something new like  700 or 800.

real confused :(