Router Way Slower than Modem and I Can't Plug Things into the Modem, Help

Max_Settings

I have gigabit internet, but when I plug my PC into my router I only get around 400mb/s instead of 900. But then if I plug my PC into my modem the router doesn't work. Anyone know why and how I can improve my Wifi speed and have my PC plugged into my modem at the same time?

For the Wi-Fi what 802.11 standard are you on? What speed are you seeing?

For the modem. Buy a switch then daisy chain the router off that. Do understand that'll put your computer on a different network to the rest of your home.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

For the Wi-Fi what 802.11 standard are you on? What speed are you seeing?

For the modem. Buy a switch then daisy chain the router off that. Do understand that'll put your computer on a different network to the rest of your network.

I'm using 802.11ac. This is my router https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529811810&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+r6700&dpID=41vwx7bqtrL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I get 900 if I plug directly into the modem, but only 400 if I plug into the router. And like I said if I plug the PC into the modem the router no longer works. So I need a switch to prevent this from happening.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I'm using 802.11ac. This is my router https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529811810&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+r6700&dpID=41vwx7bqtrL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I get 900 if I plug directly into the modem, but only 400 if I plug into the router. And like I said if I plug the PC into the modem the router no longer works. So I need a switch to prevent this from happening.

Wait, hold on. Is the problem you're trying to use the PC on Wi-Fi but you're not seeing the full speed? I'm a little confused.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Wait, hold on. Is the problem you're trying to use the PC on Wi-Fi but you're not seeing the full speed? I'm a little confused.

No the PC is wired into the router, but it’s half the speed wired into the router than if it were wired into the modem. But if it’s wired into the modem the router doesn’t work for other devices.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No the PC is wired into the router, but it’s half the speed wired into the router than if it were wired into the modem. But if it’s wired into the modem the router doesn’t work for other devices.

Alright. I don't own that router, I don't see any reason for bandwidth limiting to be enabled (if that's even an option). When did this start? Did it work before? Does it happen with every wired device?

43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Alright. I don't own that router, I don't see any reason for bandwidth limiting to be enabled (if that's even an option). When did this start? Did it work before? Does it happen with every wired device?

It’s been like this the entire time.

31 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It’s been like this the entire time.

Maybe I should have kept quiet. This is a little outside of my field (consumer routers). Just a little bit of research and I'm seeing recommendations to try firmware updates, restarting/resetting the router, and disconnecting other network devices to see if windows updates or other things are hogging the bandwidth.

Beyond this there's not much more help I can offer here. As for the Wi-Fi 802.11ac 5.0GHz should connect you over 1Gbps assuming the end device supports the ac standard. If you get the wired connection figured out it should speed up the wireless as well.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I have gigabit internet, but when I plug my PC into my router I only get around 400mb/s instead of 900. But then if I plug my PC into my modem the router doesn't work. Anyone know why and how I can improve my Wifi speed and have my PC plugged into my modem at the same time?

That router can only handle around 700ish if I remember correctly. 

Change your QoS to dynamic or turn it off. I had a customer with the same issue and that seems to bring back its wired speeds. 

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

That router can only handle around 700ish if I remember correctly. 

Change your QoS to dynamic or turn it off. I had a customer with the same issue and that seems to bring back its wired speeds. 

It says it can do 1350.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It says it can do 1350.

Check if there is a Traffic Meter under Advanced > Advanced Setup, or somewhere thereabout. If it's enabled try to disable it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

It says it can do 1350.

Thats for WiFi and even then, your never going to get that on WiFi.. Ethernet wise the port can do a max of 1 Gbps. It could be a hardware issue, if the CPU isnt strong enough it can cause internet slow downs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

32 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats for WiFi and even then, your never going to get that on WiFi.. Ethernet wise the port can do a max of 1 Gbps. It could be a hardware issue, if the CPU isnt strong enough it can cause internet slow downs. 

Ok then why can’t I connect my PC to the modem and still have the router work at the same time?

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Ok then why can’t I connect my PC to the modem and still have the router work at the same time?

Most people get router and modems confused. A modem gives you access to your ISP's network and generally gives you 1 public IP. A router's job is to share that 1 IP with many computers using NAT. My guess is your modem only gives 1 IP address, so only your router or you computer can be connected at one time. Most ISP's do modem/router combo units, which is why many people get confused between the two. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Most people get router and modems confused. A modem gives you access to your ISP's network and generally gives you 1 public IP. A router's job is to share that 1 IP with many computers using NAT. My guess is your modem only gives 1 IP address, so only your router or you computer can be connected at one time. Most ISP's do modem/router combo units, which is why many people get confused between the two. 

I have them separate. My modem has 4 ports so i thought I could do multiple devices.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

I have them separate. My modem has 4 ports so i thought I could do multiple devices.

That depends if its a modem or a gateway which means It has a router built in. Also some gateways offer bridge mode that turn them in to essentially a modem, turns off the router part. Also, I know some cable modems that have multiple ports, I think its for some kind of link aggregation or something to that degree, Ive only seen it on Docsis 3.1 modems however. 

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

It says it can do 1350.

1350 is a theoretical max. Most routers have gig ports and can only do 5-600mbps (but it says a gig!). Routing, firewall, features, QoS, devices....etc... all use CPU power. Real world performance is always different.