Need help with my Network - disconnects, latency spikes, poor streaming, and so on

Pachuca
22 hours ago, Pachuca said:

image.png.c4034c49f6d56a8bb4b5b0707397f20d.png

I forgot to mention. There are IPv4 DNS servers and IPv6.

We switched you to Google's IPv4 DNS

But you're still using Spetrum's IPv6 DNS

Go to the IPv6 section from this photo and input Googles IPv6 servers:

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

You stated you saw an improvement but you still get little spikes it's possible it's because of IPv6 requests still going through Spectrum so switching it to Google's might help more (possibly, no guarantees).

15 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

If there is a fiber that runs to the house then to a box, that box is called an ONT or ONU, its like a modem but for fiber. That would then got to an ethernet cable to your router. Like @Donut417 said, most large cable providers do have fiber but its usually for businesses or people with money to blow.  What I think is the case though it the coax runs along the fiber drop that fios had before, so fiber might be there but they just wrapped them together. Quite common actually especially when removing other ISPs dropped is frowned upon.

Ether way it sounds like you have cable. Cable and DSL suck...they just do. You were used to your fiber latency and now you feel the strain of cable and the interference spikes that cause this latency due to error corrections. 

Now if you login to your modem (some will let you) you can see a statistics page which will have some info, look for a page that has db values, that will let you know you are on the right page. Screen shot what you can (avoid public IP if its on the same page) and post it and we can take a look!

I can't find any db values. I did find a bunch of errors, not sure if this helps. 

image.png.366d8a533de8f7947d53cf696e4dc566.png

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

You stated you saw an improvement but you still get little spikes it's possible it's because of IPv6 requests still going through Spectrum so switching it to Google's might help more (possibly, no guarantees).

i did both earlier, i'm still experiencing the same problem. The improvement I think was in my head lol. I'm getting the same boomerang lag as before. 

2 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

i did both earlier, i'm still experiencing the same problem. The improvement I think was in my head lol. I'm getting the same boomerang lag as before. 

Can you say if this occurs on any other devices in the home or just yours? If it's just yours it could be a issue with the system itself.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Can you say if this occurs on any other devices in the home or just yours? If it's just yours it could be a issue with the system itself.

it happens on all devices. I have a laptop i play on and I get the same issues, our smart tv sometimes doesn't load youtube/netflix we have to reload it a few times before it starts working.

2 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

it happens on all devices. I have a laptop i play on and I get the same issues, our smart tv sometimes doesn't load youtube/netflix we have to reload it a few times before it starts working.

Hmn. I've been told that when a large number of people in one area all have the same ISP it can bog down access to the Internet. I would expect this would be even more noticeable when you're using a service that requires a constant stream of data like a video or online gaming.

What you could do is test what times of day you have these issues. If you have these problems most frequently in the evening when a lot of people are home but not often around noon or super late at night when most people are at work or asleep then it's the fault of your ISP and I don't know anything you can do about that other than call, complain, and hope they have a solution for you.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Hmn. I've been told that when a large number of people in one area all have the same ISP it can bog down access to the Internet. I would expect this would be even more noticeable when you're using a service that requires a constant stream of data like a video or online gaming.

What you could do is test what times of day you have these issues. If you have these problems most frequently in the evening when a lot of people are home but not often around noon or super late at night when most people are at work or asleep then it's the fault of your ISP and I don't know anything you can do about that other than call, complain, and hope they have a solution for you.

I heard about that too and already tried. the time of day makes no difference. I even woke up early at 4am to check and was having the same exact problems.

4 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I heard about that too and already tried. the time of day makes no difference. I even woke up early at 4am to check and was having the same exact problems.

I think its a signal problem. Probably have issues on the down stream side. Hard to say without stats. Id call to have a tech out and have them check your signals or see if they can check it over the phone. Other than that there is not much you can do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Not sure why you keep recommending DNS changes. This has little to do with the problems he is having. 

10 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I can't find any db values. I did find a bunch of errors, not sure if this helps. 

image.png.366d8a533de8f7947d53cf696e4dc566.png

Those errors dont apply here. You can ignore those.

I would suggest calling your ISP to check the NID or inside wiring if needed. Cable is worse than fiber and line issues are where most the issues lie. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not sure why you keep recommending DNS changes. This has little to do with the problems he is having. 

I didn't think it did to begin with either but I figured we'd give it a shot since I don't know of many other troubleshooting tips with this type of issue. If the problem is physical it's hard to assist them without actually being there seeing exactly what they're working with.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I didn't think it did to begin with either but I figured we'd give it a shot since I don't know of many other troubleshooting tips with this type of issue. If the problem is physical it's hard to assist them without actually being there seeing exactly what they're working with.

Oh it definitely is. While I hate suggesting call your ISP there aint much we could do here without stats. Good techs will constantly call me and suggest its a DNS issue as well until I explain and fix the problem without touching DNS. Now DNS can cause spikes but you are talking 1-3ms. Not enough to make a difference. Even then it doesnt cause these disconnects as people mostly associate with them. Can ISPs have bad DNS's? Yeah but a bad DNS is like saying a CPU clocked at 4.2ghz is bad vs the same clocked at 4.1ghz. 

DNS is a last case troubleshooting option. I just want people to steer away from that most the time because it can be time consuming and give a false view of how networking works. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Oh it definitely is. While I hate suggesting call your ISP there aint much we could do here without stats. Good techs will constantly call me and suggest its a DNS issue as well until I explain and fix the problem without touching DNS. Now DNS can cause spikes but you are talking 1-3ms. Not enough to make a difference. Even then it doesnt cause these disconnects as people mostly associate with them. Can ISPs have bad DNS's? Yeah but a bad DNS is like saying a CPU clocked at 4.2ghz is bad vs the same clocked at 4.1ghz. 

DNS is a last case troubleshooting option. I just want people to steer away from that most the time because it can be time consuming and give a false view of how networking works. 

when i changed the dns the latency seems to have decreased, but the lag is still as bad. I can't play any fps, it's awful. I see the latency jump from 60ms to 90ms (after changing DNS) which doesn't seem like a lot, but as far as the actual experience of it the lag is still the same. I'll call the ISP, but i'm pretty sure they will charge a lot for it. 

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

when i changed the dns the latency seems to have decreased, but the lag is still as bad. I can't play any fps, it's awful. I see the latency jump from 60ms to 90ms (after changing DNS) which doesn't seem like a lot, but as far as the actual experience of it the lag is still the same. I'll call the ISP, but i'm pretty sure they will charge a lot for it. 

Again changing DNS is not affecting your latency. Games dont pull a lot of DNS lookups during game play. DNS is not the problem here, literally has nothing to do with the spikes. 

If the issue is with internal wiring (inside your house) it does cost. However, since you didnt have issues before it shouldnt be the issue. If the issue is the line then its on them to repair it at no cost since its their equipment. Have them run test and ask to let them know before any work is done. 

60ms on cable is about normal and spikes to 90 or even 120 are normal as well. You are used to fiber which has minimal latency and the way it works doesnt need the same error correction copper uses which is what those spikes are. 

7 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again changing DNS is not affecting your latency. Games dont pull a lot of DNS lookups during game play. DNS is not the problem here, literally has nothing to do with the spikes. 

If the issue is with internal wiring (inside your house) it does cost. However, since you didnt have issues before it shouldnt be the issue. If the issue is the line then its on them to repair it at no cost since its their equipment. Have them run test and ask to let them know before any work is done. 

60ms on cable is about normal and spikes to 90 or even 120 are normal as well. You are used to fiber which has minimal latency and the way it works doesnt need the same error correction copper uses which is what those spikes are. 

i understand, but how do i explain this to the ISP so their tech knows what to look for or what to do? Thanks again for the help!

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

i understand, but how do i explain this to the ISP so their tech knows what to look for or what to do? Thanks again for the help!

Tell them when under load there is a huge spike in latency or responsiveness. Ask them to check the cable for and EC (error corrections) or FEC (forward error corrections) and the SNR. They will know what you are talking about! If they give you the numbers even better.

To add to @mynameisjuan statements, below is the info you really need. This is a copy of my cable modems signals. You want the SNR and power levels. You need to make sure they are with in spec. Also, you need your uncorrectable errors. You will probably have some like I do, but if you notice a shit ton on a specific channel then you know you have interference from something. 

Cable Modem
Status Signal Addresses Configuration Logs Open Source Help
This page provides information about the current upstream and downstream signal status of your Cable Modem.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 
Frequency 615000000 Hz  621000000 Hz  627000000 Hz  633000000 Hz  639000000 Hz  645000000 Hz  651000000 Hz  657000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB  36 dB  37 dB  37 dB  38 dB  37 dB  38 dB  37 dB 
Downstream Modulation QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
9 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV   10 dBmV  

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID
Frequency 29400000 Hz  35800000 Hz  23000000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID 10513  10513  10513 
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec 
Power Level 46 dBmV  46 dBmV  45 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation [2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

[2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

[2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success  Success  Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 
Total Unerrored Codewords 30656858172  168095841823  168095852202  168095857926  168095825200  168095808348  168095801286  177054176019 
Total Correctable Codewords 24545  11333  9363  11579  10623  19424  25209  52490 
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 20642  11827  11452  11747  11320  17531  15807  59677 

Status | Signal | Addresses | Configuration | Logs | Open Source | Help

copyright.gif
© Copyright 2012 - 2013 Motorola Mobility, LLC. All rights reserved.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 6/24/2018 at 2:33 AM, mynameisjuan said:

final update. tech came out to the house. he checked the lines and everything looked normal.  he even replaced the router. The only thing he mentioned that could be causing the problem is the strange way it was being wired into the house. He said some of the wires don't do anything and they could be send some feedback that might be disrupting the signal. He said he unplugged those, but unfortunately no change. Either cable isn't as good as I remember it to be or the issue still evades detection.