H.264 to HEVC

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,

Yes, you could use e.g. Handbrake to transcode (it's called transcoding, when you transform from one format to another) from H.264 to HEVC. Be warned, though, that HEVC-encoding takes a shitton of time, unless you have a GPU capable of doing it in hardware (GTX 1000-series), and just tweaking all the settings to your liking itself can take a good while.

Hey all, 

sorry if I do something wrong (first time posting in this forms) but I had a quick question. Is there a way to change the form of encoding since HEVC is able to compress better and it saves a fair bit of space.

Yes, you could use e.g. Handbrake to transcode (it's called transcoding, when you transform from one format to another) from H.264 to HEVC. Be warned, though, that HEVC-encoding takes a shitton of time, unless you have a GPU capable of doing it in hardware (GTX 1000-series), and just tweaking all the settings to your liking itself can take a good while.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Handbrake is free and can convert to HEVC (h.265)

StaxRIP can do it as well, also free but also supports h.265 with NVENC encoding if you got a Pascal GPU

10 hours ago, WereCat said:

Handbrake is free and can convert to HEVC (h.265)

StaxRIP can do it as well, also free but also supports h.265 with NVENC encoding if you got a Pascal GPU

I don't recommend GPU encoding. It doesn't output quality as good as CPU based encoding.

24 minutes ago, Windows OS said:

I don't recommend GPU encoding. It doesn't output quality as good as CPU based encoding.

The quality is still great but you have to use much higher bitrates and the advantage of it is that its a lot faster than CPU encoding.

To me, h.265 with NVENC looks as good as CPU h.264 at the same bitrate so I usually convert BR to h.265 NVENC because otherwise it would take ages and I still get significantly smaller files and very good quality.

So long as you'e encoding from a high quality source (eg, Blu Ray, DVD), HEVC would be an excellent encode format to use, albeit, time consuming, and potentially lacking in compatibility with older equipment. Anything with AVX2 is substantially faster.

If you already have AVC (h.264) encodes, doing a double encode will lose additional quality, more so than doing an encode from the source. If a high quality source file isn't available, I would suggest leaving it as is.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 6/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, Windows OS said:

Do you know where I can have it encode it with my cpu or is it do it auto in Handbreak?